Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMacaulay
Stranger
Male

Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS.
    #11263942 - 10/17/09 05:45 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I have 5 jars of almost fully colonized myc on WBS. Once my mycleium is fully colonized do i case it to fruit with 50% 50% peat/verm or do i need to mix the colonized myc with anything?

I am actually really confused the most simple information is damn hard to find on this site. 

Could someone give me directions to producing fruit bodies please?

also is these a page that explains all the abbreviations?

Peace.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMLBjammer
Invitro Freak
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS. [Re: Macaulay]
    #11264281 - 10/17/09 09:09 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

WBS will not fruit so well by itself, as the grain does not hold enough water to efficiently produce fruit bodies.  You can case it with coir and/or vermiculite or peat moss (and there are other casing ingredients).  You can mix it with coir and/or vermiculite for a rez-effect grow (rez refers to providing a water reservoir for the grain).  You can spawn the WBS to a bulk substrate and grow that way.  A bulk can be some type of dung, straw, etc., on which the WBS can colonize.  Just do some reading about casings and bulks to figure out what's best for you.

And you can stick the WBS jars in the fridge for a while until you get a handle on what you are gonna do.  The cold will preserve the jars.

I am not really a regular around here, so I am not sure about the abbreviation index.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS. [Re: MLBjammer]
    #11264299 - 10/17/09 09:22 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MLBjammer said:
WBS will not fruit so well by itself, as the grain does not hold enough water to efficiently produce fruit bodies. 

Cased WBS can put out a good yield if everything else is right. But spawning to bulk is probably easier.

As far as the abbreviations, one way it just to use the search engine. Or ask if you run into one you don't know.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS. [Re: Doc_T]
    #11264360 - 10/17/09 09:56 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

>WBS will not fruit so well by itself, as the grain does not hold enough water to efficiently produce fruit bodies.

what you on about mate youre chattin shiiiiiiiiit

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange

#11264608 - 10/17/09 11:31 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Macaulay said:
I have 5 jars of almost fully colonized myc on WBS. Once my mycleium is fully colonized do i case it to fruit with 50% 50% peat/verm or do i need to mix the colonized myc with anything?

I am actually really confused the most simple information is damn hard to find on this site. 

Could someone give me directions to producing fruit bodies please?

also is these a page that explains all the abbreviations?

Peace.

The best thing to do would be to mix those 5 jars of fully colonized WBS in with some bulk substrate like hpoo to increase the amount of mycelium and thus increase your yield.  This process is called "spawning to bulk" and some of our sponsors such as High Mountain Compost sell pre-pasteurized bulk substrate, instantly ready to mix with your colonized spawn (WBS).  In fact if you mix those 5 jars of WBS with 1 bag of High Mountain Compost, you'd have a nice sized monotub.

The other option is to do the same "spawning to bulk" process as described above, but use vermiculite instead of a bulk substrate like poo or coir.  So you'd basically take a jar of WBS and thoroughly mix it with an equal amount of vermiculite and let it all re-colonized and fruit.

I wouldn't recommend simply casing the WBS.  It works, but very few people are doing that these days and casing layers can be much more complex than simply spawning to bulk or verm.  GOOD LUCK

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #11264970 - 10/17/09 01:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The Shroomery Mushroom Glossary might be helpful with some unfamiliar terms.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

OfflineSmarty Pants
Smarty Pants
Male

Loc: Puget Sound WA
    #11275115 - 10/19/09 02:12 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys, quick question.  I have had zero luck getting mycelium to grow on Rye Grain...and am considering trying the WBS.  Has anybody here that has had great luck with WBS had similar problems with Rye?  I dont understand why Im having the problems with the Rye because it seems it should definately work....but I have tried SO many different things.  I have great results with brown rice flower/vermiculite cakes, and am tired of them, and wanna bulk up...and just having a hard time making that transition.  Any help is appreciated.

--------------------
Freedom is Today

Offlinetelekid
very gnar

Re: Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS. [Re: Smarty Pants]
    #11275173 - 10/19/09 02:24 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

everyone here seems to have their own preference on that, i personally can't stand WBS and i opt for rye, but many others love it.

the times i have used it, however; i got some pretty nice fruits. not like manure obviously, but i certainly wouldn't say it fruits poorly.

--------------------

my easy lids

Offlinemushking
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Male

Re: Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS. [Re: telekid]
    #11275366 - 10/19/09 03:14 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

dude, just case it to straight verm if your looking for simple results,

i find this website to make everything super complicated, its really not that hard to get results.

but if your using WBS its definitely best to case it, i suggest straight verm, but thats just me.

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS. [Re: mushking]
    #11275792 - 10/19/09 08:44 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Either way works well weither spawning to shit or straw(other things too)  Or straight casing casing is easier IMO  just take a jar break it up put it in a contanier and cover lightly 1/4-5/8inch with some non nutritive substance(i've used lots of things verm, perlite, orchid mix, even coir)  I have always gotten good results with straight casing, but spawning to bulk will give you better results and you would not have to case when you spawn.  It's a toss up of what you want to do both are fairly simple:shrug:

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

OfflineSmarty Pants
Smarty Pants
Male

Re: Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS. [Re: truskool]
    #11283347 - 10/20/09 12:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
Either way works well weither spawning to shit or straw(other things too)  Or straight casing casing is easier IMO  just take a jar break it up put it in a contanier and cover lightly 1/4-5/8inch with some non nutritive substance(i've used lots of things verm, perlite, orchid mix, even coir)  I have always gotten good results with straight casing, but spawning to bulk will give you better results and you would not have to case when you spawn.  It's a toss up of what you want to do both are fairly simple:shrug:

Something Im def struggling with on this site, is understanding the verbage/jargon.

Like, I just read this 4 times, and have to kinda digest the words slowly and get an idea of what your saying.  I dont know exactly what "spawing to bulk" means, so I usually have to go google this type of stuff, and then come back and reread it haha. 

So I just googled it through this site, and it looks like I have the option of taking my large amts of mycelium(dont know what to call this, is this my spawn, or my bulk substrate?  I feel like its my spawn?) and then throw it into a tub.  I can either level it across and case(cover it with a non nutritive substance..is this right?) it, or I can mix all of the mycelium up with a non nutritive substance...or can I just throw all the mycelium in the bin?  haha.

Ok, I gotta go to work.  Ill be back on here tonight neglecting my responsibilities....right after I go hunting for those cute lil cyans :smile:

--------------------
Freedom is Today

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
    #11283369 - 10/20/09 12:57 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Smarty Pants said:
Quote:

truskool said:

Something Im def struggling with on this site, is understanding the verbage/jargon.

Like, I just read this 4 times, and have to kinda digest the words slowly and get an idea of what your saying.  I dont know exactly what "spawing to bulk" means, so I usually have to go google this type of stuff, and then come back and reread it haha. 

So I just googled it through this site, and it looks like I have the option of taking my large amts of mycelium(dont know what to call this, is this my spawn, or my bulk substrate?  I feel like its my spawn?) and then throw it into a tub.  I can either level it across and case(cover it with a non nutritive substance..is this right?) it, or I can mix all of the mycelium up with a non nutritive substance...or can I just throw all the mycelium in the bin?  haha.

Ok, I gotta go to work.  Ill be back on here tonight neglecting my responsibilities....right after I go hunting for those cute lil cyans :smile:

you mostly got it right mixing spawn(mycellium) with poo or coir(substrate) is spawning to bulk.  the sub is not non nutritve it has to have nutrition for the myc to eat. a casin layer is non noutrition but in some instances it can hav nutrition confused again ?

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11283443 - 10/20/09 01:12 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Smarty Pants said:
I dont know exactly what "spawing to bulk" means, so I usually have to go google this type of stuff,

Oh, you should watch the videos- he describes all that and more.
We kind of assume that everybody has seen them, it's introductory material for the course. Think of it as a pre-req for Applied Mycology. Sorry nobody mentioned it earlier.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
    #11283646 - 10/20/09 01:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

OfflineSmarty Pants
Smarty Pants
Male

#11288466 - 10/21/09 12:17 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

Smarty Pants said:
I dont know exactly what "spawing to bulk" means, so I usually have to go google this type of stuff,

Oh, you should watch the videos- he describes all that and more.
We kind of assume that everybody has seen them, it's introductory material for the course. Think of it as a pre-req for Applied Mycology. Sorry nobody mentioned it earlier.

Honestly I have actually had success with the PF Tek many many times in the past decade...but never was able to take it to the next level.  With that said, I obviously didnt learn enough from the Magic Mushrooms Growers Guide vers 3.2 off the Lycaeum back in like 2001, or my first book back in 1998 which I still own, Psilocybin: Magic Mushroom Grower's Guide: A Handbook for Psilocybin Enthusiasts.  A couple weeks ago I bought this book, Psilocybin Mushroom Handbook: Easy Indoor and Outdoor Cultivation, and it has some good info, but honestly I should saved the money and followed your guys' teks and info, but Im new here, so didnt realize that yet. :smile:

Ok, Im gonna start watchin the vids now, and maybe Ill go get the WBS and prepare it, and do some cakes at the same time.......think thats a good way to ease my way into bigger grows???  The cakes are great, and easy, and I love how easy they are and foolproof, but Im always a bit dissappointed in how small the yeilds are :/ and really wanna learn how to do all these fantastic tubs you guys are producing...they're awesome!

Ok, Im starting the vids RIGHT NOW :smile:

I think Im gonna google this Rodger Rabbit guy too...it took me a reeeeeaaaaalllly long time to know what people were talking about when they would refer to "RR", or say "waiting for RR", or "RR says"...haha.  He must be like THE MAN around here eh??

Does anybody have the "Lets Grow Mushrooms" on DVD that they wanna sell????

--------------------
Freedom is Today

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
    #11288480 - 10/21/09 12:18 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

or just mix equale parts spawn and verm 1/2pint and verm only

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

OfflineMacaulay
Stranger
Male

Re: Most effective method of getting fruits from WBS. [Re: feelfunny]
    #11300065 - 10/22/09 04:34 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

feelfunny said:
or just mix equale parts spawn and verm 1/2pint and verm only

So 50/50 mix spawn verm, did you case or just mix and cover?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation