Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesaintpedro
nom nom nom

Loc: heliosphere
Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata???
    #11260134 - 10/16/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

OK, so I was wandering around having a look in a field when I stumbled across these beasts.  There were about 10 of them in total, over an area of around 2m2.  All of them were large, had long white stalks (lots of bluing on the stalks), and white/blue caps.  The craziest part of them were the gills, really translucent white or pale blue.  And they have this characteristic long "skirt" that extended a long way down the stipe. 

I didn't pick any, as I didn't want to risk mixing them in with my others.  So sorry, but no spore print.  I was wondering if these are common?  Has anyone else seen them?  Are they even semis?  The nipple, bluing, and shape of the cap (with the exception of the "skirt") suggests to me that they are...but what has gone wrong?

Cheers,

saintpedro

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata??? [Re: saintpedro]
    #11260222 - 10/16/09 02:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, sterile ps. semilanceata are found from time to time, see e.g. here: http://www.pilzepilze.de/galerie/v/Lateinisch/P/psilocybe/semilanceata_fm_sterile/
Yours have some very strange forms though. I think there could be some people interested in a tissue sample (not me, though, although I'd like to find some of these myself :wink:). Since they are probably sterile, it's not possible to get a print off them.

Offlinethelaughingman
Bulbous Poopaloid
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central WA
Re: Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata??? [Re: koraks]
    #11260274 - 10/16/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, they have to be a weird form of lib, with the blue and you can tell the cap is a semi, just ugly and deformed.

Weird.

Offlinesaintpedro
nom nom nom

Re: Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata??? [Re: thelaughingman]
    #11260350 - 10/16/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wow that's interesting, thanks koraks.  So does this mean the mycelium is somehow sterile, as I am guessing that all of these fruiting bodies was from the same mat of mycelium?  Although...if the mycelium is sterile, then it won't produce fruiting bodies, right?  I may need to consult a textbook.  Maybe something's happened to the soil here that has interrupted the development of the mushrooms?

Invisiblekoraks
    #11260372 - 10/16/09 02:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If they were growing close to each other, then they're probably fruiting from the same organism, so they indeed would connect to the same mycelium. Actually, this is interesting, as it allows you to estimate how large (surface) a liberty cap organism is. Did you take note of that, by any chance?

The sterile designation refers to the fruit bodies themselves, which don't produce spores. Obviously, the mycelium does produce mushrooms, but it's still incapable of reproducing. Hence, it is effectively sterile, but still largely functional. The cap shape suggests that some significant disturbance is going on, perhaps due to chemicals. Maybe some herbicides or something else from the chemical-agrarian toolkit.

Offlinesaintpedro
nom nom nom

Re: Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata??? [Re: koraks]
    #11260433 - 10/16/09 02:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, they were all growing in the same area (all the liberty caps around them were completely normal).  The mutants were growing in an area the size of two dinnerplates (ie, a circle with the diameter of two plates).  I would doubt that herbicides were the cause as the field I was picking isn't farmed, although its possible there's some residual levels or leaching from past years when it may have been used to graze animals.  Thanks alot for your info, I'm going back tomorrow and will have a good look at them again to determine exactly how large the area...plus I'll take a couple of the specimens and get some better photos.

Invisiblekoraks
    #11260510 - 10/16/09 02:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That'll be spliffin' :thumbup: I guess the herbicides are out of the question. There are of course sufficient other possible causes, including perfectly 'normal' degradation of the DNA due to e.g. UV radiation.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #11260737 - 10/16/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

These are very cool, like many of the "albino", sterile P. semilanceata that have been posted over the years.  I like the shape of the caps.  I am guessing that this mutation is genetically based, and probably not due to environmental influence.

Workman might be interested in a sample, or maybe RogerRabbit or German Kahuna.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11260812 - 10/16/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Looks almost secotioid.  I guess there was a time in history that they would have been placed in Weraroa, but that time has passed.  I guess they are mutant liberty caps, but maybe they could be called a new and rare species that is closely related.

You should collect them carefully, take some more pics and carefully dry them away from heat.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata??? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11260830 - 10/16/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

A lot of P. semilanceata look nearly secotioid.  The margin often tends to curve inwards towards the stipe, much like Panaeolopsis.  Of course, if they were secotioid, you would expect to see some spore colouration on the lamelle.

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata??? [Re: CureCat]
    #11261078 - 10/16/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nice finds,

They may have become partly secotioid due to the lack of spores, this is my theory for what ever has happened to penis envy, there is a slight possibility that the above specimens are a true albino with white or clear spores, if that is the case it would be interesting to compare the shape of the basidia and length of the sterigmata with those of a normal P. semilanceata specimen!

Alan, has that time in history when all active species of the genus Psilocybe should be placed in the genus Weraroa really past??
inski..

--------------------

Edited by inski (10/16/09 04:47 PM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata??? [Re: inski]
    #11261128 - 10/16/09 04:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
Alan, has that time in history when all active species of the genus Psilocybe should be placed in the genus Weraroa really past??

No.

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11261137 - 10/16/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I didn't think so, much to the disgust of many people here, not including myself:wink:
inski.

--------------------

Edited by inski (10/16/09 04:35 PM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11261166 - 10/16/09 04:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm sure that you will hear about it when it does finally happen.

It is funny how the ICBN rules are, since everyone knows what they should be called according to the rules, and yet that same set of rules has prevented the formal reclassification of these fungi... It is a lot of work, I suppose.  But only a matter of time before it is published and official.

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11261214 - 10/16/09 04:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I knew the rules dictated that they should be reclassified and that it was just a matter of time!
Nice to hear from you CureCat:cool:
inski.

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11261222 - 10/16/09 04:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry, I was rambling.  I'm only half awake. 
It is good to see you as well, Inski!

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11261249 - 10/16/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Your rambling is better than mine, you choose your words a lot better than me!

--------------------

OfflineShroomHunting
Starting fresh
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, Washington
    #11262056 - 10/16/09 07:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I wish i could find some crazy shit like that. Nice finds man!

Offlinesaintpedro
nom nom nom

Re: Strange beasty mutant psilocybe semilanceata??? [Re: ShroomHunting]
    #11264072 - 10/17/09 05:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for everyone's comments.  They are indeed peculiar specimens.  I went out this morning (incidentally, we recieved our first "crunchy" frost this morning...damn it) and collected them.  The area over which they were growing was actually smaller than I first thought, about the size of a 1 large dinnerplate, and just 4 of these mutants were found (unfortunately, after poking around in the frozen grass, I couldn't find any juvenile specimens).  One of them, the smallest and I assume youngest, was almost completely secotioid (see photo 2). 

In the off-chance that these actually have spores, I'm trying for a print at the moment, so will update when that's done.  Am drying them out aswell.

Cheers,

saintpeds

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #11264103 - 10/17/09 05:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

those are secotoid speciemns as  other have said  nice find , and yeah
is very commond in semilanceata  to find sterile  but never seem so good  secotoid as this ones , :grin:
you could notmake a print of that  imposible , i can see how the gill where white and are bruise all ..
there are many theories or the secotoid formation ,  but we will know for sure in  few years maybe will be cool to make dna test against  normal semilanceata and se if one can find some diferences.

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags