Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCaladan_Shroom
Warlord of High House of Fungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Aren, Malazan Empire
"Perlite Pouch" improvement
    #11259159 - 10/16/09 10:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Using the concepts posted in an earlier "Perlite Pouch" post from years ago, I've begun using this "TEK" very successfully with some minor alterations.  The idea here is to keep the perlite inside a "pouch" of some sort, at all times, to eliminate the mess.  I've read posts using nylon stockings, window screening and I personally know someone who used a pillow case.

The problem I found with the window screen method is that it's difficult to shape the screening to conform to the bottom of different size FCs.  Also, with some types of screen you can get rust and other types of residue staining the perlite.  The last issue is that with screen, when the perlite is dry the dust still gets everywhere, so storage becomes an issue.

The problem I found with nylon stockings and such is that you need to make several to fill the entire bottom of the FC, which isn't ideal in my opinion.  The nylon also becomes stretched and ackward to work with when the perlite is saturated.

My buddy's pillowcase method seemed to work the best as far as shape, size, surface area and storage.  What caused this method to fail was an increase in the rate of contam because, aparently, cotton pillowcases provide an excellent foothold for contams when wet.

The final solution, which has been a great success, has been the use of 100% Polyester Moisture-Wicking pillocases.  These things are a bit pricey ($20-$40), but I believe they will last forever.  Since they are 100% polyester, they provide no foothold for contams.  By nature of the moisture wicking fabric, water is pulled via capillary action from the perlite and readily evaporates through the material.  When the perlite dries out, you can just throw the entire pillowcase in the tub for a mintue or two.  No dust escapes the fabric when the perlite is dry, which is great. 

After my last run, I even tossed the saturated "perlite pouch" into my dryer to see how it would hold up.  After a full heat-dry cycle, it was bone dry and in overall excellent shape.  I did notice some very small amount of fine white dust on the dryer walls and in the lint trap, but this was very minimal and caused no problems.

I'll post a pictorial on this when I have time, but I wanted to throw this improvement on the "Perlite Pouch" idea for all of you who use shotty FCs and have to deal with the perlite mess on a routine basis.  Hope it helps.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Perlite Pouch" improvement [Re: Caladan_Shroom]
    #11259212 - 10/16/09 11:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

perlites not messy. you are messy if u make a mess with it.

--------------------
:shrug:

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Perlite Pouch" improvement [Re: nastos]
    #11259227 - 10/16/09 11:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

and if you think a pillow case doesn't harbor contams put your pillow case under a microscope and come back here and tell us what u find.

--------------------

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11259236 - 10/16/09 11:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

sounds clean, but like you said, pricey $..

they sell nylon type screen at hardware stores in rolls, these will not rust.

also, paint strainers for 5 gallon buckets.  probably not as durable as a pillow case, but definitely less expensive.

I just pasteurized some straw poo in a paint strainer bag.  I cleaned the bad and will be able to re-use it again. its inorganic (nylon?) and somewhat durable for fine mesh..

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Edited by cyb3rtr0n (10/16/09 11:12 AM)

OfflineCaladan_Shroom
 User Gallery

Re: [Re: nastos]
    #11259278 - 10/16/09 11:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

nastos said:
perlites not messy. you are messy if u make a mess with it.

Just do a quick search for "perlite mess" and you'll see its a pretty commonly reported issue.  It's dusty, for one.  Another common problem is perlite falling through the shotty holes.  The is particularly an issue if you dunk the entire FC in the tub to resaturate between flushes like many do.

Gratz though on your obviously impeccable handling of said perlite.

Quote:

nastos said:
and if you think a pillow case doesn't harbor contams put your pillow case under a microscope and come back here and tell us what u find.

A cotton pillowcase can "harbor" contaminates the same way anything exposed to open air can.  A 100% polyester (synthetic) fiber pillowcase will not provide the same foothold.  Sure, trich spores couls fall off of it onto you substrate.  With a cotton pillowcase, trich actually colonizes and eats it because it is organic.  This doesnt happen with synthetics.

Edited by Caladan_Shroom (10/16/09 11:27 AM)

OfflineCaladan_Shroom
 User Gallery

Re: "Perlite Pouch" improvement [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11259314 - 10/16/09 11:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cyb3rtr0n said:
sounds clean, but like you said, pricey $..

they sell nylon type screen at hardware stores in rolls, these will not rust.

also, paint strainers for 5 gallon buckets.  probably not as durable as a pillow case, but definitely less expensive.

I just pasteurized some straw poo in a paint strainer bag.  I cleaned the bad and will be able to re-use it again. its inorganic (nylon?) and somewhat durable for fine mesh..

Yeah, price could be an issue if these don't hold up to long-term use.  So far so good with sanitizing, drying and reusing them though.  I think it was defintely worth the $20 since my workspace is so small and my wife always bitches about the perlite mess.  I have to wait and see how durable they are I guess.

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
    #11259401 - 10/16/09 11:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

OfflineCaladan_Shroom
 User Gallery

Re: "Perlite Pouch" improvement [Re: Slimz]
    #11259425 - 10/16/09 11:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If so, they would be perfect at $4 a pop!  I wonder if the fact that they aren't made of the moisture wicking polyester would make a difference in RH?  I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11259500 - 10/16/09 11:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i think the whole thing is overkill and will resrict optimum evaporation form the perlite.. seems like the procedure of putting the perlite into said pouches would prove just as messy if not more messy than simply rinsing it and dumping into the FC

--------------------

OfflineCaladan_Shroom
 User Gallery

#11259587 - 10/16/09 12:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

nastos said:
i think the whole thing is overkill and will resrict optimum evaporation form the perlite.. seems like the procedure of putting the perlite into said pouches would prove just as messy if not more messy than simply rinsing it and dumping into the FC

Per my initial post in this thread, the moisture wicking technology facilitates evaporation.  I have actually used this TEK.  My hygrometer shows that same RH with the pouch as without.

Per my initial post in this thread, I am able to throw these pouches, completely loaded with perlite, into the dryer and reuse them without having to open the pouch at all.  I am able to resaturate between flushes just by tossing the pouch in the tub, never once opening it.  When I make these "perlite pouches", I just dump all the perlite out of the plasitc bag into the pillocase.  No need to use a collander and saturate one load of perlite at a time.  So no, it absolutely does not proove just as messy.

I guess we can safely agree that this TEK isn't for you.  If you don't have a wife that bitches about perlite on the carpet, in the sink, in the tub, in the vaccume filter, etc, than I guess this would be overkill.

I promise you though, you can't begin to understand true overkill until you drop some perlite on my wifes carpet.  You're welcome to stop by and witness the phenomonon for yourself. :smile:

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11259676 - 10/16/09 12:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

kewl:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinebeto
Psiconauta
Male

Loc: Paranoid City
    #11259708 - 10/16/09 12:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"...Just do a quick search for "perlite mess" and you'll see its a pretty commonly reported issue.  It's dusty, for one.  Another common problem is perlite falling through the shotty holes.  The is particularly an issue if you dunk the entire FC in the tub to resaturate between flushes like many do."

Why dunk the entire FC in a tub?? Just fill a jar with water and pour it over the dry perlite.

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Perlite Pouch" improvement [Re: beto]
    #11259721 - 10/16/09 12:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

or just rinse it and pour it in than mist accordingly

--------------------

OfflineCaladan_Shroom
 User Gallery

Re: [Re: beto]
    #11259767 - 10/16/09 12:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

beto said:
"...Just do a quick search for "perlite mess" and you'll see its a pretty commonly reported issue.  It's dusty, for one.  Another common problem is perlite falling through the shotty holes.  The is particularly an issue if you dunk the entire FC in the tub to resaturate between flushes like many do."

Why dunk the entire FC in a tub?? Just fill a jar with water and pour it over the dry perlite.

I get better saturation and a noticably higher RH when I completely submerge the perlite, within the shotty, in the tub. 

Prior to the "perlite pouch" method, I would use 2 of the same size rubbermaid tubs.  I would press one rubbermaid down into the second, which is my FC, to keep the perlite pressed flat to the bottom (prevents floating). 

I would then place the stacked rubbermaids into the tub and fill the tub with warm water.  Since the shotty has holes, every 2", the water quickly fills the shotty and saturated the perlite.  After some minutes, I drain the tub and wait for the FC to drain a bit.  Perlite is completely resaturated in about 10 minutes with minimal effort and minimal mess.

I started doing it this way one day while harvesting an initial flush.  I was in a serious rush to get to work and I needed to resaturate the perlite fast.  It also helps that my tub is shaped so that I can suspend the FC over the tub after dunking to allow it to drain.  Has always worked well, so I've kept it up.

Edited by Caladan_Shroom (10/16/09 12:46 PM)

Offlinebeto
Psiconauta
Male

Loc: Paranoid City
Re: [Re: Caladan_Shroom]
    #11260944 - 10/16/09 04:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

you guys turn simple things into complicated and laborious methods...

Edited by beto (10/16/09 04:08 PM)

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: [Re: beto]
    #11261022 - 10/16/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I find both perlite and WBS to be messy at times. The trouble is, they are so small, and with all the moving and transferring from container to container, it is inevitable that you will get shit everywhere.

That is one reason I do not like shotguns and cakes. Going with bulk, I never have to deal with perlite again. I can put up with cleaning the occasional WBS scattered around my kitchen.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11262960 - 10/16/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i think verm is messier than anything mentioned above

--------------------

OfflineLoganSmith
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: [Re: Caladan_Shroom]
    #11263270 - 10/16/09 11:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Caladan_Shroom said:

I love this idea, thank you very much!

Going to grab one of those next time I am in Walmart.

Perlite is messy as FUCK. Also, we could throw these bags in the PC for 20 minutes or so every month or 2.

Seems like a flawless idea.

--------------------
"i tripped normal for the first 3 hours, started coming down, then opened my eyes and it was 3 hours later, pitch black outside, and i was outside of my body, looking at myself dead on the couch.  this lasted until midnight "

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract