Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejimi2cool
Stranger

Loc: King County, WA
A failure ii dont want to repeat
    #11258206 - 10/16/09 08:49 AM (8 years, 2 days ago)

so, I'm finally to the point of giving up on a dozen or so jars that seemed doomed from the start

I had success before with very little effort and think that there were several contributing factors

--WHAT HAPPENED:
\after inoculation the jars took for ever to germinate and colonize. It took close to 2 weeks (maybe a tad longer) to germinate. The myc grew i little odd. This time they just lacked that fluffiness I've had before. the myc had a definitely more solid appearance and NO rhizomes grew at all. full colonization took at least 6 weeks and still seemed strange. There were places that were "colonized" but seemed somehow translucent in places. was trying to wait for pins to form invitro but it never happened. Waited a full 2months after inoculation (a couple weeks past 100%) to birth. When i birthed there were no signs of contams but they also had little to no mushroomy smell. During the dunk n roll a cake broke in half and looked SOLID white inside to the point where it looked like there was nothing but myc in there. Birthed the cakes IT a shotgun terrarium and waited. ...AND WAITED. it's been a month in the fc with no growth apparent.

--SETUP/ENVIRONMENT:

strains:
4 creepers, 4 Cambodians and 4 Thia LY

I had success before with very little effort and think that there were several contributing factors one may actually be that I'm in the Midwest now and success was in the PNW where fungi grows effortless anyway

the jars were PF style jars (i used 1 pint jars like i have in the past since 1/2 are next to impossible for me to find around here, slightly overinnoculated to help speed this up as i had done before) made with home ground BRF that ended up with pretty variable water content (some looked pretty wet after sterilizing, some looked perfect and some just a tad dryer than I'd like)

The verm used was definitely on the fine side and the substrate was definatelyless airy looking than I'd like

The incubation temp tas in the low to mid 70's (room temp, dresser drawer)

the fruiting chamber was an unheated, perlite humidified shotgun terrarium

Light to the FC was indirect from a window facing east about 5 feet away

--SUSPECTED FACTORS
i think that the odd growth was from poor air exchange and low temps

i also think based on my observations of the broken cake that because of the massive time taken to colonize that they may have died invitro due to running out of food/water cause the broken cake had no sign of anything but a spongy what mass, couldn't even see verm.

--QUESTIONS
so, i know one thing for sure, i have a ton of fine verm that is definitely not the best for this ask. How can i compensate for this in my jars? i was thinking maybe going whole grain rice for less surface area and more air? maybe adding something else to create better air exchange? I'd really hate to waste this stuff cause i got alot of it

I went out and bought a seed germination mat and intent to incubate by placing jars indirectly onto it (it gets pretty hot to the touch so i was gonna put a layer of something between jars and mat as a buffer).

Relay concerned bout these results. Have a new syringe of PC Phantasia spores and intend to retry this weekend. Is there a solution to my verm issue? Have i messed up something royally? I've done tons of reading and with my past success did not expect a failure here.

ANY ADVICE OR COMMENTS ARE WELCOME! TRYING AGAIN THIS W/E AND WOULD REALLY LIKE FRUITS BE X-MASS!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A failure ii dont want to repeat [Re: jimi2cool]
    #11258266 - 10/16/09 09:11 AM (8 years, 2 days ago)

I agree, I would try with whole grain rice even if I am not sure that your verm was THE negative factor. You may even try to add some spent coffee to your substrate as Creamcorn recommends (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5574833#5574833). It can reduce col times.

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

Edited by LeopardMan (10/16/09 09:12 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation