Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
When I try to eat healthy, I get sick.
    #11236803 - 10/12/09 10:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm trying to eat healthier for my general well-being. I'm a small eater and my diet is usually cereal and milk in the mornings, a small snack for lunch, a dinner consisting of meat and vegetables, and more snacking before I sleep. I ate fruit a few times a week, and I usually drank milk or tea.

I'm trying to cut down on foods that are really high in sodium, fat, and weird unhealthy chemicals. I'm trying to eat more fruit in my diet, too. Now I'm having an apple + fruit grain bar for lunch and I snack on grapes and random fruit more often. But every time I try to change my diet with include healthier things, I feel my immune system getting weaker and I start feeling the oncoming of sickness. You know, that tingle in your throat, the hot-yet-cold feeling.

Well, what do know. About a week into my new eating habits and I get sick. This pattern has happened at lest 3 times before. I have a cold and I feel like it may get worse.

Is the increase of fruits in my diet causing this? Or am I just really unlucky and my choice of better eating always falls around a time when I'm sick? Or does my body make me want healthier foods because it's trying to fight off germs/bacteria and it needs the extra nutrients?

Help appreciated.

--------------------
-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: Dynoo]
    #11237014 - 10/12/09 11:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The fruits wont be causing that.

Are you eating a balanced diet? Do you get lots of uncooked greens, and fresh veggies?

I'd say a minimum of 2 pieces of fruit a day + 3 vegetables, plus stay hydrated with WATER.

Try adding things like trail mix, nut butters, sprouted whole grain breads, dried fruit, oatmeal/quinoa/brown rice to your diet.

The milk and red meat isn't considered to be particularly healthy, you'll likely feel alot better if you cut out the milk and eat more lean white meats.

Try picking up a high quality multi vitamin aswell.

Remember, healthy food is grown, and doesn't come out of a package most of the time.:wink:

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #11237990 - 10/13/09 06:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

> Are you eating a balanced diet?

This is key.

> About a week into my new eating habits and I get sick.

Rather than going full blast into a new diet, make the change slowly over a month or two period.  Start out by altering your breakfast.  Go for a salad first thing in the morning.  Sounds crazy, but it is bliss.  Once your body has adjusted to breakfast being different, then change out lunch.  Listen to your body, and to your cravings, and adjust as needed.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleAmber Trichome

Loc: Black Mountain
Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: Seuss]
    #11238038 - 10/13/09 07:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

veggie soup with barley. try it, it's delicious.

Offlinesunflower
We're here....
Female User Gallery

Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: Amber Trichome]
    #11238201 - 10/13/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Omega three eggs are a good way to start the day.  Eggs stay with you, you don't have to worry about the blood sugar drop that comes with eating a high simple carb breakfast (processed cereal).  Oatmeal and an egg would be a good start.

As Seuss said, have a salad, but have an egg with your salad for breakfast.

--------------------

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#11239034 - 10/13/09 11:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What are you eating in a day on your unhealthy diet, and what are you eating in a day on your healthy diet?

Sounds like you aren't eating enough in both scenarios.

Offlineusulpsychonaut
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
    #11240574 - 10/13/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Our surroundings are weird man made material objects, maybe it is good and healthy to eat artificial chemicals, so the body can absorb the products of it's surroundings and become more in tune and function harmoniously with concrete, steel and electricity.

Offlinestaratsx
certified know-nothing
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #11240998 - 10/13/09 05:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:
Our surroundings are weird man made material objects, maybe it is good and healthy to eat artificial chemicals, so the body can absorb the products of it's surroundings and become more in tune and function harmoniously with concrete, steel and electricity.

are you high?

--------------------
"Sucralose (Splenda) is a chlorocarbon.
it's in the same family of chemicals as DDT and PCBs.
Don't worry, it’s not DDT, it’s “DDT-Lite!”

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #11242332 - 10/13/09 08:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:

LOL That is the most absurd thing I have ever read on this forum... and there is lots of absurdity.

:rebelride:

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: All We Perceive]
    #11244925 - 10/14/09 09:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I dont eat much eaither, actually, as you describe it, it seems to me like you eat like twice the amount of food I do. But the key REALLY is a "balanced" diet.

By this I dont mean a certain amount of certain types of food that is considered the "normal balanced diet" but more, one that fits to you.

Everyone is different and everyones bodies require different things. Its a good thing that you wanna eat healthier. But that doesnt mean changing your eating habits from one day to the next. Your body is used to what you put in it already. If you suddenly changed it all around your body IS gonna be in some type of shock and it will make you feel a bit "off" and you might be at more risk of catching something simply cause your body is not only trying to keep your immune system going, but its also trying to learn how to process all of this new stuff you are putting into it.

I have a friend that eats junk all the time, she wanted to lose weight so she got herself one of those fruit and veggie juicers and started drinking fruit and raw veggie juice. She got really really sick from her stomach and had fevers and everything cause the raw veggies where to "heavy" for her system to digest as quickly as what she was used to eating.

Its not what you eat, but how you introduce it to your body and also what YOUR body needs. You can start by replacing things here and there, and also try to notice which foods make you feel good, which foods make you feel slugish, etc. Try to stick to what makes you feel good

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

Offlinestaratsx
certified know-nothing
Male

Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #11245621 - 10/14/09 12:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you want to start eating better, I would first make certain that you never skip breakfast, as that is the most common mistake people make.

Start with eating a couple eggs in the morning, and stick to whole grain breads (& brown rice).  Make sure you're eating clean - i.e. lean meat, make sure the bulk of your fat content is coming from polyunsaturated sources (i.e. oils...olive oil....FISH oil...), and that any fats you do eat are not hydrogenated, or trans-.  Saturated fats should not be cut out, but limited to quality sources, such as coconut oil.  Cook with vegetables (i.e. green/red peppers...onions...garlic), and eat fruits on occasion.  Watch your sugar intake.  Make sure your portions equally satisfy each macronutriet.

for example, a good breakfast consists of (egg sandwich): 2 eggs, 1 egg white, 2 slices of whole grain bread, mayonnaise.  This satisfies the protein/fat/carb ratio, as the 2 egg yolks+mayonnaise serve as a good fat source (if the mayonnaise is of good quality), the 3 egg whites serve as an excellent source of protein, and the bread - an excellent source of carbs (assuming at least 15+ grams of whole grain per slice)

thank you for providing me with a justified source of distraction, i really needed that.....now back to studying analytical chem... :puke:

--------------------

InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: staratsx]
    #11245676 - 10/14/09 12:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, thanks to everyone! Basically, I just have to "ease" into my new diet. My cold went away, and this is HUGE for me. My immune system hates me and a cold usually turns into a fever + bronchitis.

And as for eggs, I can't stand em. I hate eggs. Fuck eggs. Are there any good substitutes for eggs?

--------------------
-

Offlinestaratsx
certified know-nothing
Male

#11245735 - 10/14/09 12:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

if you make scrambled eggs, season them, and add a slice of cheese...maybe some ham....i wouldn't believe you if you told me you didnt like them lol.  as for substitutes.....sure there are many, but eggs are just so simple, cheap and nutritious for breakfast. 

heres an alternative...and just ignore the fact that the recipe includes eggs, as i am sure you will not taste them. 

beat two eggs in a bowl, add some vanilla extract, almond extract and cinnamon in desired quantities....dip your 2 slices of whole grain bread in it and cook it....yep french toast.  after each slice finishes cooking, spread a tablespoon of peanut butter on it.  you can top it off with honey or maple if you want, but remember to watch your sugar intake.  you can also add 1 egg white to the initial mix, but it starts to taste a little eggy at that point.  This satisfies the same ratio as before, as the peanut butter replaces the mayonnaise (make sure you use natural peanut butter, not that hydrogenated bullshit)

--------------------

Edited by staratsx (10/14/09 10:34 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: staratsx]
    #11246930 - 10/14/09 03:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think oatmeal with yogurt, raisins, dried cranberry, and a mushed up banana and a squirt of honey is the best breakfast available.

Id take it, over eggs anyday.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #11247377 - 10/14/09 04:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

One thing nobody mentioned was detox... Perhaps you're unhealthy diet has built up all sorts of crud in your system, and when you begin to eat healthier your body starts to push the toxins/crud, or perhaps you feel bad because their is a mild physical addiction to the chems in your "unhealthy" food?

I suggest maybe a good detox before you begin eating healthy again, or during....  You might feel better in the long run :shrug:

But don't take my word for it, I'm not really a detoxologist.

:todcasil:

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: All We Perceive]
    #11247912 - 10/14/09 06:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

All We Perceive said:
Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:

LOL That is the most absurd thing I have ever read on this forum... and there is lots of absurdity.

:rebelride:

:ilold: and had to give 'em five shrooms.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

#11252956 - 10/15/09 12:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dynoo said:
Hey, thanks to everyone! Basically, I just have to "ease" into my new diet. My cold went away, and this is HUGE for me. My immune system hates me and a cold usually turns into a fever + bronchitis.

And as for eggs, I can't stand em. I hate eggs. Fuck eggs. Are there any good substitutes for eggs?

I hate eggs too. they always made me sick. i dont eat em no more

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: Todcasil]
    #11252971 - 10/15/09 12:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Todcasil said:
One thing nobody mentioned was detox... Perhaps you're unhealthy diet has built up all sorts of crud in your system, and when you begin to eat healthier your body starts to push the toxins/crud, or perhaps you feel bad because their is a mild physical addiction to the chems in your "unhealthy" food?

I suggest maybe a good detox before you begin eating healthy again, or during....  You might feel better in the long run :shrug:

But don't take my word for it, I'm not really a detoxologist.

:todcasil:

Since it seems we all agree that rapid change is the problem, detox + change of diet does not sound like a good idea to me.
And usually detox is taxing on ones body even if you keep your regular diet.
I would recommend waiting until your body is used to your new habits before trying this out.

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: Youthfuldreams]
    #11257834 - 10/16/09 03:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree, i don't think the detox is necessary and is more trouble than its worth for someone who is not a health nut.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinetriplag
Stranger
Re: When I try to eat healthy, I get sick. [Re: PDU]
    #11261904 - 10/16/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

when you eat healthy, your body has more energy to detoxify itself, and that's why you get sick, because all the toxins are coming out. 

maybe you should see an ayurvedic doctor who can guide you in a gentle detox that wont make you sick... worked for me.  just tell them that your trying to eat better but its making you sick and they will know exactly what to do. 

Edited by triplag (10/16/09 06:48 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds