Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDark_globe
Stranger
Male

Loc: NSW
One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis'
    #11257511 - 10/16/09 03:08 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

One in 25 adults across the world uses cannabis, despite the risks the illegal drug can pose to their health, experts believe.

Using cannabis regularly can increase the chances of suffering from anxiety, panic attacks and psychotic symptoms as well as lung and heart problems, they warn.

Studies have also suggested that the drug can also increase the risk of having a car crash, although not as much as drinking alcohol.

Researchers said that use of cannabis typically begins when young people are teenagers.

It then goes on to peak when they are in their early to middle 20s, before declining as young people get full-time jobs, marry, and have children.

Cannabis use is thought to be highest in America, Australia and New Zealand, followed by Europe.

However, the researchers believe that use of the drug has been declining across Western Europe in recent years, including in Britain.

Studies suggest the risk of schizophrenia more than doubles in those who have tried cannabis by age 18.

The study, by researchers from the School of Population Health at the University of Queensland, and the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of New South Wales, was published in the Lancet medical journal.

source

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Dark_globe]
    #11257558 - 10/16/09 03:26 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

The only health concerns I have is going to jail and getting TB or staph or something along those lines..Not too concerned about the direct health concerns from cannabis.

These people are fools.

--------------------

OfflineLucas89
lysergicmescalcybin
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSR
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: MHbound]
    #11257611 - 10/16/09 03:46 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

1 in 25 people... shit thats a lot more than i thought. whats the numbers for alcohol useage if anyone knows?

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #11257631 - 10/16/09 03:59 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I see the British press is still harping on that "cannabis use causes mental health  problems" piece of BS.. :rolleyes:

Offlinethatsaname
Stranger

Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Le_Canard]
    #11257739 - 10/16/09 05:02 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

i want the same study done for alcohol and tobacco.

OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Le_Canard]
    #11257740 - 10/16/09 05:02 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Studies suggest the risk of schizophrenia more than doubles in those who have tried cannabis by age 18.

well there you go, stone cold proof cannabis makes you go nuts. fucking pisses me off when they say "facts and figures" without anything to back it up.

OfflineLucas89
lysergicmescalcybin
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSR
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #11257833 - 10/16/09 05:43 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

totally true that. they conduct the most non-scientific bullshit research too. they never have any real science to back anything up.

--------------------

Invisiblei hate liz
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Loc: winchestertonfieldville i...
    #11257837 - 10/16/09 05:47 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

wouldn't schizophrenia be more common then??
this is why we're surrounded by retards

--------------------
[quote]natedawgnow said:
Rhizo threatens people with decapitation and mutilation on a daily basis. Maybe actually read his threads next time?[/quote]

OfflineSolemente
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: i hate liz]
    #11257910 - 10/16/09 06:28 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

:facepalm:

InvisibleLobsterSauce
 User Gallery

Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Solemente]
    #11257918 - 10/16/09 06:32 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

A famous pop star here died from choking in his vomit a few days ago.

He had been on a 'marathon 8 hour drinking session'.

Next days tabloid headlines,"He had smoked cannabis two hours before his death".

For fudge sake.

--------------------

OfflineDrugsRGood
Analytical Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #11258172 - 10/16/09 08:33 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

It then goes on to peak when they are in their early to middle 20s, before declining as young people get full-time jobs, marry, and have children.

Wow, I thought people who smoked cannabis were all potheads and were lazy and were going to be "addicted" the rest of their lives and have mental problems and die early. But no, they get full-time jobs, marry and have children just like others. Fuck. I'm shocked.
:facepalm:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: DrugsRGood]
    #11258376 - 10/16/09 09:40 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

WE R EVERYWHERE. RUN FOR YOUR LIVEZZZZZZZZZ NON CANNABIS SMOKERZ

--------------------

OfflinePooks
^_^

Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: DrugsRGood]
    #11258436 - 10/16/09 09:58 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Using cannabis regularly can increase the chances of suffering from anxiety, panic attacks and psychotic symptoms as well as lung and heart problems, they warn.

Studies have also suggested that the drug can also increase the risk of having a car crash, although not as much as drinking alcohol. ***

Researchers said that use of cannabis typically begins when young people are teenagers.

Cannabis use is thought to be highest in America, Australia and New Zealand, followed by Europe.

However, the researchers believe that use of the drug has been declining across Western Europe in recent years, including in Britain.

The study, by researchers from the School of Population Health at the University of Queensland, and the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of New South Wales, was published in the Lancet medical journal.

SOURCE  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6337492/One-in-25-adults-uses-cannabis.html

*** what "studies" Did they have a bunch of stoned people driving around?

Or is this assumption just based on the effect that cannabis has on your cognative function. (which can range from mild impairment of motor skills to an alsmost LSD like effect,where rational thought is no longer present; or very hard to maintain )

In either case most conditioned users rarely if ever experience the former. Unless they have easy access to the absolute best buds in the world. And after your first few uses one should know if Mj is gonna drive you mad or not

SO If your a cannabis user and you are worried about your doubled risk of schizophrenia, then you may be wondering; "Well, what are my chances of developing schizophrenia in the first place?"

So,being from a family where my aunt(moms sis) and my mothers uncle are schizophrenic. As well as having a brother who just went through a psychotic episode-one that very closely resembled schizophrenia a considered diagnosis by the head doctor of the mental ward-, i decide to do some research.

SO HERE IS A STUDY I FOUND HERE
:http://schizophrenia.about.com/od/whatisschizophrenia/f/WhoGetsSchiz.htm

Question: Who Gets Schizophrenia?
Answer:
By studying the frequency of schizophrenia in various groups of people, using a science called epidemiology, scientists have uncovered a number of risk factors for developing schizophrenia. This information has provided clues to guide research into the causes of schizophrenia.

Taking all people into account, just less than 1% of the population (0.8% according to the (National Comorbidity Study ) have schizophrenia. That amounts to approximately 2.2 million people in the United States alone.

Not everyone has the same risk of developing schizophrenia, however. By far the most significant risk factors for developing schizophrenia have to do with family members. This is the reason that scientists now believe that genetics are the most important factor in developing schizophrenia.

Family Risk Factors
Having a brother or sister with schizophrenia raises your risk of developing schizophrenia to 9%. This is true even if your sibling is a fraternal (non-identical) twin.

Having one parent with schizophrenia raises your risk of schizophrenia to 13%. This is true even among children who were adopted as children.

Having an identical twin with schizophrenia raises your risk to 28%.
If both parents have schizophrenia your overall risk of developing schizophrenia is 36%.

Non-Family Risk Factors
Researchers have identified a number of different risk factors and risk-minimizing factors related to the frequency of schizophrenia among different groups of people. Some of these include:

Living in a densely populated city. People born or raised in dense urban areas are twice as likely to develop schizophrenia as people from the country.

Being African American was once considered a risk factor, because African Americans are 1.5 times more likely than white Americans to develop schizophrenia. However, that effect is due to the greater numbers of African Americans living in cities, and is not true when only people living in the country are considered.

Hispanic Americans may be less likely to develop schizophrenia. Hispanic residents of Los Angeles were half as likely to develop schizophrenia as non-Hispanic residents. However, this does not take into account that ethnically Hispanic people are of many racial groups, and so it isn't clear if the effect is one of culture or genetics.

Prenatal exposure to hunger. The children of women experiencing famine during the first three months of their pregnancy are twice as likely to develop schizophrenia.

It is important to realize that these risk factors do not, in themselves, indicate a cause of schizophrenia. Instead scientists are looking for underlying differences among these groups of people that can explain why they experience different levels of risk.

Stress and Schizophrenia
Stress is not believed to be a risk factor for developing schizophrenia, although that is a very commonly held mistaken belief. People who come from abusive families or traumatic childhoods are not more likely to develop schizophrenia than those from healthy childhoods, when other risk factors are taken into account.

Why do people believe that childhood stress causes schizophrenia? Having schizophrenic parents, or living in a crowded inner city, which are risk factors, often leads to a traumatic childhood. Also, during the prodromal stage of the illness, before full-blown symptoms develop, people’s lives tend to become very chaotic, with relationships disrupted, jobs lost. These events seem later to have contributed to the illness, but were actually signs of the illness coming on.

SOURCE: Scizophrenia.about.com

I REMOVED THE LAST PARAGRAPH BECAUSE I FOUND IT IRRELEVANT TO MY RESEARCH

If you'd like to read it refer to the link at the beggining of the article. For more info on schizophrenia  use the source link or google. Wikipedia also has a great deal of info on the illness as well as the origins of the word, and early diagnoses.

So using the above information i am know going to calculate my susceptibility to developing schizophrenia. I'll make a check list to make it easier for you guys to do the same, you have to answer them in order to get your correct percentage(not 100% accurate, but hey i tried to put somethin simple together)

Assuming you answered no to all of the following questions, as i did, your chance of getting schizophrenia as of now should be 0.8%(in the USA) accoring to the following information;

"Taking all people into account, just less than 1% of the population (0.8% according to the (National Comorbidity Study ) have schizophrenia. That amounts to approximately 2.2 million people in the United States alone."

This is as accurate a number i could come up with for people with no genetic predisposition, and it seems to be a good way to get an estimate. If you come up with something else feel free to add.

So here we go

Have a sibling with schizophrenia?(non-identical) +9% chance  :    No

Have a(one) parent with schizophrenia?(adopted or not)+13% chance:  NO

Do both of your parents have schizophrenia?(adopted or not) +36% chance: NO

Have an identical twin with schizophrenia? +28% chance :  NO

calculate your percentage now before appling enviornmental factors.

Onto enviornmental factors

Live in a densely populated area/born or raised in dense urban city multiply% by 2: Yes

Prenatal Hunger (may have to ask the rents on this one) Multply latest % by 2:  Doubt it (NO)

Tried cannabis by age 18? risk % more than doubles according to "experts"
so lets just say multiply your current % of susceptability by 60% or .6    :  Yes

I actually started at twelve, lol, but anyway heres MY result .8 x 2= 1.6 x .6 (60%)= .96
                                                                                          .96+1.6= 2.58%

So my risk is now at 2.58% and if my bro is indeed schizo ill be at 4.9%

This is of course not including my usage of Salvia, Shrooms, Opiates, Barbituates,LsD, LsA, and many more. 

i will research the added chance of goin schizo that those substances might add but for now im takin a break. peace

also im going to send out emails to try and find sources form the OP's article as well as the one i posted.

1ove:mushroom2:

OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Pooks]
    #11258766 - 10/16/09 11:42 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know how many are out there, but my dad still smokes pot daily at age 58. He's never lost a job or anything like that and never smokes before work, only after he's home and has nothing else to do will he hit the bong. That's really what 4:20 was supposed to be about, responsible pot smoking, not just blazing all the time for the hell of it.

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Pooks]
    #11258775 - 10/16/09 11:45 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know how many are out there like him, but my dad still smokes pot daily at age 58. He's never lost a job or anything like that and never smokes before work, only after he's home and has nothing else to do will he hit the bong. That's really what 4:20 was supposed to be about, responsible pot smoking, not just blazing all the time for the hell of it. I would just like to see my dad on a commercial for pot, saying how nothing bad ever came from his pot smoking and in fact has expanded his mind and allowed him to relax in the evening without being stressed, without the addicting effects of alcohol. I bet that would go over real well.

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

OfflineMycoUnderground
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburban CO
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Dr.Myco87]
    #11259995 - 10/16/09 03:28 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

So like 250 million people smoke?  That's a lot of fuckin weed.

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Lucas89]
    #11261064 - 10/16/09 06:22 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Lucas89 said:
1 in 25 people... shit thats a lot more than i thought. whats the numbers for alcohol useage if anyone knows?

Unless you live with a lot of black people in the ghetto, the ratio is probably lower.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineKonyap
lurker

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: neopet nub]
    #11262543 - 10/16/09 10:57 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

1 out of 25 people go to jail, id say half the people that DRINK smoke weed and the other half that doesnt gets nausious when they do..

Quote:

neopet nub said:
Quote:

Lucas89 said:

Unless you live with a lot of black people in the ghetto, the ratio is probably higher.

fix'd

OfflinePMasterPoo
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: One in 25 adults 'uses cannabis' [Re: Konyap]
    #11262921 - 10/17/09 12:09 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

It definitely depends where you live too.

Here in colorado that might be a little inaccurate.

Invisiblebuddhabadger
Evil Overlord

Loc: The Forest
    #11262938 - 10/17/09 12:15 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_globe said:

I wonder how much of that has to do with being unwilling to sacrifice ones' family, job and possessions in the event of getting busted.
I know that's why we don't grow our own and are very discreet about what we do.
Soon as our kid's 18, it's grow, baby, grow!

Regardless, it's cute the way they phrase it... makes it sound like a childish activity that one grows out of in adulthood.

Ironically, it'd be safer for us, from a parental standpoint, were we to grow our own because we'd not have to deal with the black market and risk getting busted, but I've learned that logic goes out the window when it comes to the drug war.

--------------------
- I don't abuse drugs; in fact, I think I treat them quite nicely. -

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Salvia

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service