Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Drummers
    #11229325 - 10/11/09 08:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone got any good online videos or something for "lessons."
It's about time I actually learn what the fuck I'm doing but I can't afford real lessons right now.

--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: Drummers [Re: jewunit]
    #11229759 - 10/11/09 09:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Listen to music, try to copy.

Or first start out playing the high hat, add some snare, then add the kick; like a four count of high hat, on the first count hit the snare and on the third hit the kick. It all takes off from there man. That's what I did 3 years ago and it's taken me real far in the world of the drums.

Lessons teach you to play a certain way, why not play your way?

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Re: Drummers [Re: tempingasashaman]
    #11230109 - 10/11/09 10:36 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Because there are things I can't do that I want to.

I mean I can sit down behind my set, only so often though because it's not at my apartment, and play simple rhythms and shit, but it's not cutting it anymore.

I'd like to learn actual drum rudiments on my pad and shit.

Also why the hell would I play the snare on one and the kick on three? That would sound terrible and extremely white.

--------------------
!

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

#11230167 - 10/11/09 10:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

well fool, you have to learn how to play SOMETHING to get SOMEWHERE. I was considering you've never played in your life.

You're not going to get any better with your drum set somewhere else. The only way you get good is by playing everyday. Drum pads didn't do shit for me except help my rolling.

Practice is the only teacher you need, but you have to do it everyday.

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#11230200 - 10/11/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Keeping it at my place really isn't an option.

Hence why I'd like to learn some rudiments on a pad. I can do that every dad.

--------------------
!

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

#11230600 - 10/11/09 11:47 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yeah man that's cool, but it's just not going to help your kit skills..

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#11230640 - 10/11/09 11:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I've been told otherwise by any decent to accomplished drummer I know/have met.

--------------------
!

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

#11230697 - 10/12/09 12:07 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

well, I mean it's like a scale for piano. You may know how to play a scale, but how do you really use it when the time comes to play a piece of music? Of course it helps, but it's no substitute.

I know a couple of kids in drum line who know their rudiments and paradiddles like no other but they still aren't anything on a kit...

There's no substitute for good hard practice on what you really want to do's all I'm saying.

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#11230724 - 10/12/09 12:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I definitely agree.
But just like with a scale if you take it then apply that to what you're doing then it works.
Of course marching band kids that don't play set aren't gonna be good on set. But if I learn some rudiments then apply them when I'm behind my kit it helps.

And again, having my set here isn't an option. I get to play it fairly often if I so desire, but I can't have it here. Not to mention practice pads are much kinder to roommates and neighbors (especially when you suck.) So not practicing at all is worse than using a pad, regardless of how much you may think it will help me in the long run compared to sitting behind a drum kit for an hour a day.

--------------------
!

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

#11230769 - 10/12/09 12:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I remember how embarrassing it was to be playing in my parents garage and I knew that people down the street could hear me play. But I mean I just did it and did it and now I'm pretty comfortable to play regular stuff, even some more challenging stuff.

It's just like any instrument, the more you push yourself and the more songs you learn really just make you better.

With every instrument, there's a period of learning and playing other people's things. But once you break that period you kinda tangent onto your own style and don't need to play to songs you know all the time anymore. You kinda just jam instead of sticking to strict beats.

--------------------

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
    #11230891 - 10/12/09 12:45 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

my best advice would be to buy some books with drum riffs and what not, learn how to read notes, etc.  start off with some simpler drum riffs and repetitively practice them over and over until you can do them without much thought.  work up to the more complex riffs.  this is how i learned and it works well.

OfflineSubconscious
Stranger
Male

#11231829 - 10/12/09 08:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tempingasashaman said:
well, I mean it's like a scale for piano. You may know how to play a scale, but how do you really use it when the time comes to play a piece of music? Of course it helps, but it's no substitute.

I know a couple of kids in drum line who know their rudiments and paradiddles like no other but they still aren't anything on a kit...

There's no substitute for good hard practice on what you really want to do's all I'm saying.

No. If you know your rudiments you can incorporate them into the kit in much more effective ways than just fucking around. Not to mention scales are essential to composing music and staying in key while improvising. You're giving out bad advice... practice is great, I practice all the time- but knowledge is equally important if you really want to excell.

For example... see what this just does with a simple paradiddle-diddle rudiement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjLR4vb2rhU

OfflineSubconscious
Stranger
Male

#11231852 - 10/12/09 08:40 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tempingasashaman said:
With every instrument, there's a period of learning and playing other people's things. But once you break that period you kinda tangent onto your own style and don't need to play to songs you know all the time anymore. You kinda just jam instead of sticking to strict beats.

Again, no. Apart from drums I also play guitar and bass... never learned a single cover. Went straight into learning scales, modes, and music theory and straight to composing my own music. Recorded a solo album and played in established and touring bands.

If your just in it to dick around, that's fine and all is well. But don't give out crappy advice to someone who is legitimatly interesting in learning.

Knowledge of your instrument is just as important as regular practice, and learning a few covers is in no way going to teach you all you need to know. You can became pretty decent playing by ear, but learning a little bit of the theory behind it makes you advance so much faster.

I played guitar by ear for a while, and as soon as I got over myself and learned some scales and theory- I got better in the first week than the whole few months I had been playing by ear before that.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Re: Drummers [Re: Subconscious]
    #11232173 - 10/12/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Cool thanks man that's the kinda shit I'm looking for as well as just basic rudiment videos :thumbup:

--------------------
!

OfflineJesusYodiHomeboy
Dimension Hopper

#11235530 - 10/12/09 08:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Here, learn to play this and wow us all

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Re: Drummers [Re: Subconscious]
    #11236864 - 10/12/09 11:12 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Subconscious said:
Quote:

tempingasashaman said:

Again, no. Apart from drums I also play guitar and bass... never learned a single cover. Went straight into learning scales, modes, and music theory and straight to composing my own music. Recorded a solo album and played in established and touring bands.

If your just in it to dick around, that's fine and all is well. But don't give out crappy advice to someone who is legitimatly interesting in learning.

Knowledge of your instrument is just as important as regular practice, and learning a few covers is in no way going to teach you all you need to know. You can became pretty decent playing by ear, but learning a little bit of the theory behind it makes you advance so much faster.

I played guitar by ear for a while, and as soon as I got over myself and learned some scales and theory- I got better in the first week than the whole few months I had been playing by ear before that.

I guess my view is skewed from when I first started learning to really just pushing myself forward. I learned all my theory with piano and saxophone, and later taught myself guitar/bass/drums. So I mean, knowing theory is obviously a good way to go, and really the only way to hold a solid base. It's kind of like having something to fall back on. When I play/jam with people I don't consciously know the scale I'm playing in, but I know how to work the scale. But I guess I never really realized how much it's helped because it's so far back for me and already ingrained in my musicality. It's all just sunk into my subconscious.

--------------------

Offlinedispizeme

#11257073 - 10/15/09 11:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineTrippinNinjaBuddha
ShroominSamurai

#11267962 - 10/17/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Can you read music?  If not, I would recommend that you take at least a few lessons from a drum instructor to learn how to read.  Yeah, yeah, there are plenty of people who play really well and can't read - but the simple fact is, you can teach yourself a whole lot (read: save a lot of money on lessons) if you can read music.

The sheer amount of books on drum kit independence and patterns and styles is mind-blowing.  Depending on what you want to play, there are plenty of books that will get you playing and feeling those rhythms.

If you're into jazz, try Syncopation by Ted Reed, the Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley, The New Breed by Gary Chester.

As for your practice pad, buy or download a copy of Stick Control by George Stone.  It's the bible of snare drummers and has a near infinite number of applications.  See any drum website's forum for hundreds of ideas using only pages 5-7 of stick control.  moderndrummer.com's technique forum is a good place to start.

GET A METRONOME.  this is not optional.  Never play anything faster than you can do it cleanly.  When you are first learning a pattern or feel, play that shit painfully slow, don't rush.  What you are really training is your nervous system.  Playing slowly allows the ratios of timing between all the hits to really be ingrained; when you speed up the tempo eventually, your whole body remembers the pattern and has no problem.  Start slow and work your way up.

Stretch out!  If you don't have a light yoga practice, learn some.  It's really important to warm up the muscles before serious shredding and stretch them before and after.  Instead of thinking about it as a pain in the ass or a waste of time, use it to focus and really become grounded in your body.  Drumming is nothing if not extremely attuned body awareness.  Plus, you're saving yourself from carpal tunnel.

Listen and go to live concerts and stare at the drummer.

Listen to cuban, brazilian, african, indian, american, irish, any music.  Keep your ears wide open.

Good luck, the drums are an amazing instrument.  Rhythm is in all of us, you just gotta learn to let it out.

Peace

--------------------
Jumped in a river, what did I see?
Black eyed angels swimming with me
Moon full of stars and astral cars, all the figures I used to see
All my lovers were there with me
All my past and all my futures
We went to heaven in a little rowboat
There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Re: Drummers [Re: TrippinNinjaBuddha]
    #11269593 - 10/18/09 03:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey thanks man.
I can read music, but not drum notation. I considered learning but didn't want to bother. I guess I'll look into it again.

I have a metronome. I'm into jazz. I already focus on drummers at live shows (I have for as long as I can remember.)

One thing I've had cemented in me is to GO SLOW. Drums or any other instrument. I lost sight of it once I stopped playing my original instrument (trombone) regularly. I would just think "Meh I can do this" and I couldn't. Reading advice from a bunch of people has reinstated that. I forgot how important it really was. Especially now that coordination is involved.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check 'em out :thumbup:

--------------------
!

OfflineRocker232
Stranger

#11271211 - 10/18/09 12:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
I've been told otherwise by any decent to accomplished drummer I know/have met.

My friend is pretty beast at drumming (plays in a Death Metal band) and he would have to agree with the others, the pad won't help you get better on the kit.

--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals