Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Spirituality & Mysticism

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblec0sm0nauttM
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY
Caught between two worlds
    #11256732 - 10/16/09 12:22 AM (8 years, 7 days ago)

I want to help people. I follow politics a lot and I see all the bad stuff in the world. I'm a International Relations major and I have such hopes for the world coming together in some sort of peaceful Federation, like something out of Star Trek.

Yet, I'm delving deep into Ram Dass' 'Be Here Now'. I have the view that we are all ultimately one being, disconnected by our Egos. Is the best way to help others to help ourselves? Should I not care about the state of the world? Is it just another desire?

I'm trying to rid myself of all desire, quiet my mind and function from the heart cave. Does any of it really matter? Is it all truly determined?

Will the Yogic path put me in the position to have the most beneficial effect on the world? Is the best way to help others to be the living example?

It's like I'm caught between two worlds. I think just writing these questions I've answered a lot of them for myself.

The idea of Faith does come into play. I would just like to hear from someone along the path, to let me know it is leading in the right direction.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMiddlemanM
melomaniac

Re: Caught between two worlds [Re: c0sm0nautt]
    #11257478 - 10/16/09 02:56 AM (8 years, 7 days ago)

It's not about finding out what you are, it's about finding out what you aren't:

"Here's all you need to know to become enlightened:

Sit down,
shut up,
and ask yourself what's true until you know.

That's it. That's the whole deal - a complete teaching of enlightenment, a complete practice. If you ever have any questions or problems - no matter what the question or problem is - the answer is always exactly the same:

Sit down, shut up, and ask yourself what's true until you know."

"But . . .

a complete spiritual teaching
that fits on a matchbook cover
is not what anyone really wants.

( So . . . )

Arthur tells me he wants a technique. Rather, he wants the technique. I really only have one technique and everybody who comes to the house soon learns what it is from other students, but, oddly, nobody seems to practice it until they receive it from me. I've laid it out many times and tried to put it in the public domain for the use of whoever wants it, but it has remained strangely proprietary, as if the only way it can work is if this comes directly from me. There's really not much to it, but I guess there's not much to closing your eyes and repeating a mantra or counting your breaths either.

"Okay, Arthur," I begin, "the technique is called Spiritual Autolysis. Autolysis means self-digestion, and spiritual means . . . hell, I don't really know. Let's say it means that level of self which encompasses the mental, physical and emotional aspects. Put the two words together and you have a process through which you feed yourself, one piece at a time, into the purifying digestive fires."

"May I ask a question?" Arthur asks.

"Yes, Arthur."

"You make Spiritual Autolysis sound rather unpleasant."

"Yes, Arthur, it's an unpleasant process."

"Oh. I see. Thank you."

"You're welcome. The process of Spiritual Autolysis is basically like a Zen koan on steroids. All you really have to do is write the truth."

"Write the truth?"

"Sounds simple, doesn't it? Yes, that's all there is to it. Just write down what you know is true, or what you think is true, and keep writing until you've come up with something that is true."

"There are three hundred and sixty degrees in a circle," says Arthur.

"Sure," I agree. "Start with something as seemingly indisputable as that, and then start examining the foundation upon which that statement is built and just keep following it down until you've reached bedrock, something solid - true."

"There aren't three hundred and sixty degrees in a circle? he asks.

"The question presupposes that there's a circle."

"There's not a circle?"

"Maybe. I don't know. Is there?"

"Well, if I draw a circle..."

"I? When did you confirm the existence of an "I"? Draw? Have you already raced past the part where you confirmed that you are a separate physical being in a physical universe with the ability to perceive, to draw? Have you already confirmed duality as truth?"

Arthur is thoughtful and silent for several moments. "I guess that's what you mean by following it down. This is very confusing. I don't even know where to start."

"It doesn't matter where you start. You could start by using Ramana Maharshi's query, "Who am I?" or "What is me?", and then just work at it. Just try to say something true and keep at it until you do. Write and rewrite. Make it cleaner and cut out the excess and ego and follow it wherever it leads until you're done . . .

"And by done, you mean . . . ?"

"Done."

"Oh. Is this like journaling? Like keeping a diary?"

"Ah, good question. No. This isn't about personal awareness or self-exploration. It's not about feelings or insights. It's not about personal or spiritual evolution. This is about what you know for sure, about what you are sure you know is true, about what you are that is true . . ."

excerpt from

Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing

by

Jed McKenna

Offlinethemostpurple
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Caught between two worlds [Re: Middleman]
    #11257633 - 10/16/09 04:03 AM (8 years, 7 days ago)

I made a quote once when I was baked that you might like,
"If we helped others we would have no need to help ourselves."

I enjoy the one consciousness proposition, it explains so many cycles of life, and history, human nature, its very whole and sound.

--------------------
-_-_-_-

OfflineBuben
Hobbyist
 User Gallery

Re: Caught between two worlds [Re: themostpurple]
    #11258111 - 10/16/09 07:56 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I don't really understand what it is you want todo, bring people together on a political level or spiritual, both? Just bring people together no matter how?

To help people spiritually you must have experienced awakening yourself, otherwise you do no good reiterating what other are saying and possibly just confusing people leading them further from awakening.

What I mean is that you must have been there and know how to get there before you lead other people, otherwise you will lead people to the place where you are, reducing multiplicity and possibly hindering people from getting there by themselves.

Hence if you are in doubt, focus on your self until you have experienced _it_ before you try to lead others.

On the other hand you don't need to have experienced awakening to bring people together and help them to understand each other and world better.

Quoting from my lousy memory but it goes something like this:
How does it feel to have awakened?
Quote:

Its like every day experience but two inches of the ground

And that is recurring theme, hence no need to wait for it to help people, though necessary to experience in order to lead people to it.

What I am basically asking is how do you intend to help people, when we know that perhaps we can advice if it is a wise decision or not.

--------------------
My blog with thoughts I get.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Drugs are paradoxical, you think you can solve all the worlds problems with philosophy, but if you drop a coin you will never fucking find it.

Invisiblec0sm0nauttM
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY
Re: Caught between two worlds [Re: Middleman]
    #11258217 - 10/16/09 08:52 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Thanks, I think that story is what I needed to hear.

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
    #11260452 - 10/16/09 04:48 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Beautiful post Cosmo

You finding inner peace is the greatest gift you can give to the outer world

If you have not found peace, how can you bring peace to the world?

If you see the world as separate from yourself & then try to fix it, it will only break it more... as such a viewpoint is that of fragmentation & separation not of unity, only unity can cure suffering

If you realize the Self, the world will not be seen to be apart from the Self

Keep reading Be Here Now, its excellent, ive been going through a few pages everynight, it really is embibed with Ram Dass' powerful Self-realization, it makes me so happy that since last time i read it, ive actually realized everything it talks about!

So shall you :grin:

:peace:

ps i like middlemans 'what is true'
that is a great practice in meditation - but what is true?
the fire for truth will burn all that is false, leaving what is true

--------------------

OfflineMycomyth
Demented Avenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: At the crux of the matter...
    #11260898 - 10/16/09 06:01 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

c0sm0nautt said:
I would just like to hear from someone along the path, to let me know it is leading in the right direction.

Is there such a thing as the wrong direction?

I tend to think not.

As long as you feel you are on your path, then it has no choice but to be going in the right direction. That is the nature of the path.

For me, it's not a matter of direction, but of either pushing, or flowing...wanting, or being...taking, or giving.
Pushing takes work, creates friction and heat. Flowing is effortless, and causes no friction, it's smooth and easy.
Wanting distracts the attention (or intent if you prefer) away from what is important. Being takes no attention at all.
Taking leaves both parties with less. Giving leaves both parties expanded exponentially.

That's just my current way of thinking about things, for what it's  worth.

M

--------------------
Wave upon wave of demented avengers marched cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #11261044 - 10/16/09 06:19 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Yoga is a formula for living a meaningful life.  It will help you.  It goes way deep...I used to think it was only about the asana, the physical postures, but now I'm reading the yoga sutras and practicing the power of my intention using the yamas and it's like I'm learning how to live life for the first time.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#11261676 - 10/16/09 08:01 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Yes.. caught between two worlds...

I would suggest not to listen to the advice pointing towards self-inquiry ..
You are like arthur.. and most likely you will need a guide just like him..
a guide you do not have.

Rather.. i would suggest to look more deeply into your surroundings.
Do not take things at face value.

For instance.. what is it that you are saying ?
Caught between two worlds ?

Has this not been a predominant theme in most of my writings here ?
The duality ?
Is it not the predominant theme of existence.. here ?

There is nothing you can do about it.. unless you wish to sit down and ask yourself questions until the day you die..

I simply look at it like this...
We all get an equal amount of the 'good' and 'bad' ..
Believe me .. someone does regulate this and keep it in balance FOR you..
The equality is to ensure the most adequate circumstances for making a choice.

You can make your choice now..
or wait until you have to..
or .. you might have already done it without knowing..

anyway..

my entire point is this..
you are stuck between two worlds..
everybody is..
it is because we create the world we live in..
me and my ego..

it is very unfathomable for people to truly understand that they are in many places in many different times - at the same time.

You are doing the work of spirit.. and you do not even know it.
So are all the 'bad guys'.

oh man..
how do i make this into something understandable..

hm..
you sleep..
you project..
you make a replica of yourself and it goes 'out there' doing shit..
comes back with info.
do it consciously.. and your 'conscious mind' will know of it.
wake up when 'it' comes back.. your conscious mind will have a memory of it.
but.. ultimately it doesnt really matter.
its done.. its done.
the only thing you can alter by conscious decision.. is the experiences your conscious mind will experience.

so..
metaphorically speaking..
god sleeps.
he projects
he made trillions upon trillions of replicas and they're out there doing shit.
they come back with info.

there is nothing but the spirit.
the spirit does it all.
you are that spirit.

you can sit in your room , smoke weed, and do nothing..
it doesnt make a difference.
you can go out and kill people right now.. it wont make a difference.
there are no mistakes.
you cant fuck the spirit over.
because you are always doing what it wants.
because.. it is what you want.

to the 'conscious mind' in the state it is currently - this seems very confusing and often is understood as complete slavery.
no freedom.
-self-inquiry will bring you closer to understanding that it is in fact - complete freedom.

tell me something... do you feel sorrow for the energy bodies you have projected to do your work in the astrals and such ?
do you think they feel like your slaves ?

i guess.. alltogether what im trying to say is - its kinda easy to put the pieces together without tormenting your mind so much.

they say that comparison is a tool of the ego , used to amplify its sense of I.
i say.. that comparison will show you the patterns in existence.

It will show you - why they say you have an entire universe in your body.
It will show you - why they say we are all god.
It will show you - how simple it is... when you dont expect it to be so complicated , mysterious and mystical.

The whole 'new age' business.. is to make all these matters of the spirit into a seemingly impossible task.
fast, meditate , do yoga , eat healthy , treat people good , treat yourself good..

it all gives you a fucking headache !

I say.. Just Ride the fucking Bike. It is the only way you can learn how to ride it !
you will fall.. fuck up your knees.. but it is necessary.
If you read a book on how to ride it.. you will never learn.
I guarantee this ..
You think i could logically explain to you how to blow a smoke ring ? or how to whistle ?
you have to try it ..
you have to just do it.. and then you know how - forever.

We're all caught between two worlds.
One is of courageously riding the bike with the wind going through your hair and a smile from ear to ear saying >> I wont fall... suck my balls.

and the other.. is of looking at the bike afraid of hopping on to it saying >> I will fall.. suck my balls.

:rofl:

live and sleep.
dream.. and dream.

also..
a couple days ago i was chatting with a friend from back home.
she was telling me about her life a lil bit.
out of nowhere i got this idea in my head that would sum up all of her problems.
I just saw it as her manifesting this pattern right in front of my eyes.

I said : You know that feeling.. when something is bugging you .. and then you just cast it aside ? You keep ignoring it..
It keeps on bugging you.. screaming in your face.
Eventually.. it all builds up.. and then you open up - and end up looking stupid for it ?

She said :
I think im going crazy !

I instantly knew what she meant by that.
Nevertheless.. i asked why ?

She said :
Its  like lately.. what everybody has been telling me.. its like one voice !

I seemed to have summed up all the messages people and events around her were trying to relay in a seemingly coincidental manner.

I said : Your not going crazy.

It is all one voice :smile:

her following questions came about rapidly..
my answers were swift as well.

I knew exactly what to say.

This person.. is not spiritual at all.
Shes a workaholic actually..
Half of the stuff we talk about here.. would make no sense to her.

So.. should i tell her to do some self-inquiry ?
No.

I spoke to her.. as a human being.
I spoke to her.. as my friend.

The conversation ended by her telling me that she feels very strange right now.
She feels very energetic and ecstatic in an unexplainable way.
She feels.. as if i gave her something... and the only way she can deal with it..
is to FEEL great about it.

She has no idea.. what i actually did to her.
She has no idea.. what kind of influence i had.

THIS.. is how you help, my friend.
Interact with the people.. with dignity , honesty , emotion , curiosity .. and balls.

I know that maybe some of this stuff im saying will not help you at all..
in fact.. you seem to be coming back with the same questions over and over again.

but after all.. i am but a driver of a car that looks like a boat.. dropping you off wherever i please , since you said : anywhere is fine.

Look to your right.

:smile:

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Spirituality & Mysticism