Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Casing Problem... sorta
    #11252161 - 10/15/09 12:43 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

So it has been over a year now in my shroom growing.  I've done the shotgun, monotub, and currently my favorite is the martha.  For most of my grows I do uncased coir/coffe/verm and I use 2-3 quarts of colonized WBS as spawn.  There have been a few grows where I've tried casing.  The only time I've had a problem with contams was when I cased, roughly a quarter of the trays have gotten trich in the martha I never had a casing contam in a mono( it puzzles me a bit since I always pasteurize so i'm guessing there are just trich spores in my house). 

My problem however, with the successful casings, is that there are way more pins and I get the canopy pinsets but the fruits are MUCH smaller than my uncased grows.  I've done weight for weight comparisons and I actually get more from the uncased even though the pinsets are never as full since the fruits are easily double to triple the size of the cased fruits.

Is this typical or perhaps a problem with my technique?  I don't use cold air or ultrasonics for my humidity, I use zoomed repti-foggers.  I have two of them that click on with a fan on low and it does a perfect job of keeping the humidity 95-99%.  I have adjusted it lower for casing obviously.  Is it possible to get a massive pinset on an uncased sub?  I have had some very good ones and typically can get well over an oz dry from each tray(1st flush) and multiple ounces for the life of the tray from later flushes but again, I don't get why my cased fruits are so much smaller.  IS the nature of the method or do I need to improve somewhere?

Uncased my fruits are typically 2-3 grams dry so they're pretty large.  Cased they're about .25-.45 grams dry.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
Re: Casing Problem... sorta [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #11252200 - 10/15/09 12:51 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I have never cased.. you have an interesting issue..

But, I have had great pinsets uncased in a mono, so that is definitely possible.

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11252247 - 10/15/09 12:59 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I get some slack for my opinion, but whatever. Casings suck. There, I said it.

If you are providing a proper environment with your FC, you don't need a casing.

I think casings are for when you need to save a grow because something isn't right and you need a quick fix. A casing is like a quick band-aid to save these trays I have right now, then I can fix my problem at my leisure later on.

:imo:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Problem... sorta [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11252250 - 10/15/09 01:00 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I only use casing for cyans

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Casing Problem... sorta [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11252251 - 10/15/09 01:00 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Well there are great pinsets and then there are casing pinsets that basically cover the entire surface area of the substrate. 

I can easily get the primo pinset on a casing but not uncased.  My uncased is always patchy or spread out but they're monsters.  Two cycles ago I had a shroom that was 12 grams cracker dry. =/

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11252276 - 10/15/09 01:04 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

That's the argument. I just don't want the hassle. I will say that cyans are another animal altogether though...

To each his own.

I DO have to add that a noob should stay away from casings until successful without, due to contamination factors. IMHO

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Casing Problem... sorta [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11252297 - 10/15/09 01:06 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I've always gotten more flushes without a casing and it is exponentially easier to rehydrate an uncased sub imo. 

I'll probably just keep it uncased, was just curious if anyone else noticed a size difference in their fruits growing the same isolate on cased/uncased.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation