Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSN122A
Tweaker

Loc: Flag
Cheap & Easy sterilization of bulk substrates
    #11249998 - 10/15/09 01:35 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

So if your like me and sometimes want to take the time to do a quick pre-sterilization of different things for substrate components it’s kind of a pain to load up jars etc for the PC and it can burn on the bottom if you just put in the in PC.

I know many people (including myself) find the tote bath method perfect for pasteurisation but sometimes the condition and quality of chips etc pushes me to do a bit more...  This is something I will often do if it’s clear the chips etc have had fungi or mold etc on them once before.  I simply give a small seperate sterilization of that material before mixing with other components for either jars or bulk substrates....

So, to the point:
I find a cheap and easy way to make a nice custom ‘basket’ or separation layers for the Pressure Cooker is using aluminium mesh for windows.  Here it retails for about $8/meter and a few meters will do you for heaps of things.

So starting with a piece of mesh I cut out the piece like a flattened hexagonal box with tabs like below:

Now just fold the tabs.  I use a pencil or something to fold/roll the adjacent tabs together then squish it down.  I find the aluminium holds its shape very well and you can use sheets of it with scrunched up pieces of the corners you cut off in between and make layers and spaces (not forgetting underneath the basket :smile:) to expose everything to steam a bit easier.

I basically started this because I didn’t want anything sticking on the bottom of the cooker and burning.  I later attached some wire to pick it up with as well.

Dont know if this will be helpful or not but works ok for me...

Do many others do this sort of thing with a pre-sterilization?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cheap & Easy sterilization of bulk substrates [Re: SN122A]
    #11250217 - 10/15/09 02:13 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I don't get it.  if you sterilize something in mesh, it is going to become unsterilized when you remove it from the PC.. :confused2:

but it seems like it could be useful in pasteurizing, as long as you secure all sides.  that way you could pasteurize it, remove it from the water, then strain it all in the mesh unit.

Offlinemushmike
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Cheap & Easy sterilization of bulk substrates [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11251036 - 10/15/09 06:27 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yea I don't understand why you'd want/need to sterilize (as opposed to pasteurize) your sub. What are you putting in your sub that you're afraid of?

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
Re: Cheap & Easy sterilization of bulk substrates [Re: mushmike]
    #11251099 - 10/15/09 07:05 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I think this is an  extra sterilization step. Make sure contams in  the substrate itself are killed, then jar up and pc again to kill the contams that were introduced when making up the jars. I used to do this extra step in the oven when i boiled my jars,  not sure if its worth it when pc'ing jars though.

Edit: When your boiling jars,  pre sterilizing all the substrate in the oven/pc obviously sterilizes the substrate  at a  much higher temp than boiling, so maybe a worthwile step. (but again, when pc'ing youve got the higher temp anyway, so just pc the jars for longer)

--------------------
Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Zed (10/15/09 07:09 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation