Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Chilling with sound
    #1124906 - 12/09/02 02:54 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Novel fridge cools with sound
- BBC News

Some of the coolest sounds in the world are coming out of a laboratory in Pennsylvania. At the lab, two US researchers are working on ways to use sound to chill food.

They have produced a sonic fridge that converts very loud sounds to directly cool a fridge containing ice cream.

The researchers hope that their work will end reliance on gases that can contribute to global warming.

Louder than rock

The researchers have exploited the fact that sound waves travel by compressing and expanding the gas that they are generated in.

In the 1980s, Scott Backhaus and Greg Swift at the Los Alamos National Laboratory realised that this compression/expansion action could be used to cool and heat metal plates placed in the path of the sound wave.

A temperature gradient can be generated by putting a stack of plates in the right place in a tube in which the sound wave is bouncing around. Some plates in the stack will get hotter and others colder.

All it takes to make a refrigerator out of this system is to attach heat exchangers to the ends of the stack.

Now, Matt Poese and Steve Garratt of the Applied Research Laboratory at Penn State University are doing work on a small chiller cabinet that will be used to keep ice cream cool.

The research is being sponsored by ice cream makers Ben & Jerry's and Unilever.

The pair are using enormously loud sounds to keep their chiller cabinet cool.

Humans feel pain when they hear sounds of 120 decibels, a level typically reached next to the speakers at a rock concert.

The sounds pumped through the Penn State fridge reach 173 dB.

Were the fridge ever to crack open, the vast sounds generated within would not escape because the intense noise can only be generated in the pressurised gas locked inside the cooling system.

Prototypes of fully functioning acoustic fridges have already been built and one has even flown on the space shuttle.

The pair are hoping that their work will end reliance on the gases currently used in fridges that can contribute to global warming.

The research could also make refrigerators more reliable because a thermoacoustic fridge has fewer moving parts.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (12/09/02 02:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: Evolving]
    #1124948 - 12/09/02 03:08 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Neat!  I especially like this part:

The researchers hope that their work will end reliance on gases that can contribute to global warming.

It seems we are finally starting to use our smarts to create technology that doesn't harm the Earth! :smile:

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1125115 - 12/09/02 03:57 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

right on!

now lets stop making gas-powered cars already GOD DAMMIT!!!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: Strumpling]
    #1125451 - 12/09/02 05:43 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

now lets stop making gas-powered cars already GOD DAMMIT!!!

Good one.  :wink:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Anonymous

Re: Chilling with sound [Re: Evolving]
    #1125517 - 12/09/02 05:59 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Nice thread E.  I would if they care about what effect it has on the feelings of the vegetables.  Cabbage have nasty tempers if you yell at them.  I know because they weren't growing well in my garden and when I yelled at one of them it bit me. :shocked:

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: Strumpling]
    #1125520 - 12/09/02 06:01 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

actually there are already hydrogen powered vehicles... working and everything... only thing that comes out is: vapor... that means no pollution, no global warming, no nothing... why aren't these vehicles produced yet? i think it works like the marijuana prohibition... back in the time when they found out that hemp perfectly replaces and surpasses the qualities of cotton for clothes and of wood for paper, too many people had invested too much money in these industries to let that happen... so they decided to make hemp illegal, to not lose their cash... same situation over here... too much money is invested in the oil industry, to let a hydrogen powered car destroy their wealth... "naaaaaaaaaa we dont care about nature... fuck planet earth... look at my bank account, look at my nice car! look at my expensive clothes, and my golf course... i can't give this up just to leave a piece of this planet for my children and the children of my children... fuck it! im rich, i don't care!"

sorry got a little carried away right there... i hope you get my point...

--------------------

Edited by Lozt Soul (12/09/02 06:37 PM)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: In(di)go]
    #1125613 - 12/09/02 06:28 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

its true though, i feel the same way. they outlawed pot, or gave it its bad name orignially i think because the yield from hemp plants 4x more paper than wood paper threatened a paper maker in early america, he was friends with the president or someone and so the whole idea of making paper from hemp plants was thrown out. all the stuff with the tesla coils hasnt been thoroughly researched either(i still dont know whether this efficient or what), although there are people working on it on there own or coming up with ideas like it. they tested a hydrogen powered car in california or something and all the scientist who were testing it died in an explosion, they forgot to put a seal. that could be easily fixed, but LoztSoul is right, theres been too much money invested by the oil and car companies. www.totse.com has many reports of people who have built efficient systems but mysteriously "dissapeared". whether these specific stories are true or not i dont know. i know im getting a little off topic, but i think it makes a good point that people dont use there heads and alternative means to solve problems, they follow eachother like sheep and eventually there intelligence is going to end them over a cliff. i heard that when you cross sound waves and light waves you get electromagnetic waves... by my chemistry teacher, she might not know what she was talking about but anyway that would mean the people in the science fields are being really fucking lazy. anyway thought i could spread some info. i think the sound fridge is interesting, but i still think people are way behind in scientific advancement, but then again i guess thats cause there knowledge of the world and the universe and all doesnt go very far.

--------------------
What?

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1126549 - 12/09/02 10:37 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Tesla was a great thinker who got screwed by the government. Now they use his findings for experimental military vehicles.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
    #1126646 - 12/09/02 10:53 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

theres been too much money invested by the oil and car companies. www.totse.com has many reports of people who have built efficient systems but mysteriously "dissapeared". whether these specific stories are true or not i dont know.

I've heard these stories too. I heard there was a guy who made a car that was powered on water and he disappeared. My law teacher tells me he has a friend who came up with a car that didn't rely on gas or oil (i don't remeber exactly what it used). He said he inquired about a patent or otherwise let it out to someone he had this. My teacher told me his friend was threatened and dropped the whole thing. I guess he's waiting until it's safe now.

i heard that when you cross sound waves and light waves you get electromagnetic waves... by my chemistry teacher, she might not know what she was talking about but anyway that would mean the people in the science fields are being really fucking lazy.

If you heard that from your chemisty teacher, she must have cheated her way through high school and college. Light waves ARE electromagnetic waves.

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: 3eyedgod]
    #1126850 - 12/09/02 11:42 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

dear god im glad someone finally cleared that up. god help the kids under the instruction of the american public school system. please. lol

--------------------
What?

Anonymous

#1127173 - 12/10/02 01:03 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

:grin:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: In(di)go]
    #1127446 - 12/10/02 02:46 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Actually, the Hydrogen is made usually by electrolisys of water, which uses electricity, and most electricity is made by burning coal, so there will still be CO2 emissions until we find a cheaper energy source than fossil fuels.

I like Fusion, I know, I know it's neuclear, and that scares some people, but it fusion doesn't put off nearly as much neuclear waste as fission.

Also there have been some promising developments in solar cells recently. If we ever come up with solar cells that are like 80% efficient, and cost a couple bucks per square foot, then we will have all the energy we will need.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Chilling with sound [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1128385 - 12/10/02 12:12 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

In reply to:

Actually, the Hydrogen is made usually by electrolisys of water, which uses electricity, and most electricity is made by burning coal, so there will still be CO2 emissions until we find a cheaper energy source than fossil fuels.

Sadly, most people fail to realize that even with hydrogen power there still may be a great demand for fossil fuels, they are merely changing the point of pollution from individual cars to large electricity producers unless yet another technology comes into widespread use.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology