Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains of N. America Flag
Thoughts and questions on death.
    #11246194 - 10/14/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

How does the understanding and acceptance of death affect our relationship to life? Death is that one part of life that so many people tend to ignore or brush over.....they don't like to think about it, or talk about it. Instead they say, focus on life! Live today, death is only inevitable! But I don't think you can fully appreciate what it means to live until you understand what death means...what it means truly, to yourself.

What does it mean to die? Have you ever truly asked this question...thought about it intimately?

What would it mean for you to die at this moment? Everything you are doing...working on, searching for, accomplishing....all your hopes and ambitions and dreams, fears and doubts and quarrels...death brings these all to an immediate end. Many people live for the future...they go to college to get a job in the future....they save their money so they can retire in the future. Well, what if you died before you ever reached that future?? Would you consider your life complete? Did you finish what you were doing?

Is it possible to live every single day in such a way that you FEEL like you've finished everything? So that if you were to die, right now, at this very instant, you would have absolutely no regrets?

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChronic7
Re: Thoughts and questions on death. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #11246276 - 10/14/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BrainChemistry said:
Is it possible to live every single day in such a way that you FEEL like you've finished everything? So that if you were to die, right now, at this very instant, you would have absolutely no regrets?

Yes, if you awaken to your true essential nature by facing death fully while still alive, you will no longer fear death, nor strive to be alive, you'll just live life

Really the ability to face death is the true gift of a human existence, to be able to contemplate your own dissolution

the Buddha initiated new disciples by asking them to sit & watch burning corpses for days on end...as the moment when you see your own conception, birth, infancy, youth, teens, adulthood & death in one passing vision is the moment you really see how fleeting all life really is, which opens up the mind into such a beautiful & silent space that nothing in life can never touch you in the same way again...as your mind has been touched by the embrace of death

Alot of the time we can see the impermanency of other things, environments, objects of pleasure, thoughts, feelings, but rarely do we put our own bodies into the same equasion

Nice post

:peace:

--------------------

OfflineAhimsa
µdose
Male

#11246475 - 10/14/09 02:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

There are two answers i feel.

1) Death doesn't exist. There is no disappearing of anything because there never was anything in the first place.
See it this way: 'What can disappear unless it never was?' and 'What can become unless it already was?'

2) Death is real. It means the ending of this form and the change into another. The characteristics of this form will disappear and it constituent parts will disperse.
See it this way: 'Whatever appears will be undone!' and 'Things become when they are formed!'

Which one is true? The first statement doesn't start off from a dualistic viewpoint. It is logic and claims an undefined unity between life & death. The second statement is based upon a dualistic notion and claims an absolute separation between life & death.

How we feel about death is greatly dependent upon which notion we find to be true i believe.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Thoughts and questions on death. [Re: Ahimsa]
    #11246800 - 10/14/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I feel that consciousness most likely ceases with the cease of metabolism. 

But who knows for sure:shrug:

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts and questions on death. [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #11247039 - 10/14/09 04:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

In either case, consciousness will not continue in the same way it was when you were living.

Although, to say death doesn't "exist" doesn't really mean anything.....death is the state at which your human body ceases to function.

What happens to your consciousness/soul is anyone's guess, and really isn't the point of this discussion. I'm referring to the end of life in your human form.

--------------------
Word to your mom.

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

#11247116 - 10/14/09 04:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Instead of worrying about....am I going to be able to meet that project dead line by next week? Or even the fear of growing old....the fear of not succeeding, the fear of rejection and of being alone.

Don't all of those fears come about because one has not truly accepted their own mortality? That all of those trivial little things, really have no consequence to you?

--------------------
Word to your mom.

OfflineXeny

#11251223 - 10/15/09 05:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BrainChemistry said:
Although, to say death doesn't "exist" doesn't really mean anything.....death is the state at which your human body ceases to function.

Actually it's the moment the heart stops beating

--------------------
Ik hou van je

While you're still sleeping the saints are still weepin' cause things you call dead haven't yet had the chance to be born. -Scatman John

Edited by Xeny (10/15/09 05:53 AM)

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Thoughts and questions on death. [Re: Xeny]
    #11252454 - 10/15/09 11:35 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't believe that death or the complete annihilation of the body is the end of existence. I think the experience of being(which I'am of course) will go on via a new brain and I will forget who I'am. Being is not the body, mind is not brain. The brain may result in the mind but it is not the mind itself - the mind exists metaphysically. Our bodies are made-up of multiple parts, each part being made-up of more parts, and those parts made-up of seemingly endless dimensions of parts. Which individual, finite thing are we precisely? are you sure we don't just pour in out of infinite space?

Quote:

Accept that you are immortal and you will get this feeling.

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

Re: Thoughts and questions on death. [Re: soldatheero]
    #11252878 - 10/15/09 12:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Accepting you are immortal lets you die without regrets?  :eek:

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts and questions on death. [Re: soldatheero]
    #11253312 - 10/15/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

soldatheero said:
I don't believe that death or the complete annihilation of the body is the end of existence. I think the experience of being(which I'am of course) will go on via a new brain and I will forget who I'am. Being is not the body, mind is not brain. The brain may result in the mind but it is not the mind itself - the mind exists metaphysically. Our bodies are made-up of multiple parts, each part being made-up of more parts, and those parts made-up of seemingly endless dimensions of parts. Which individual, finite thing are we precisely? are you sure we don't just pour in out of infinite space?

Quote:

Accept that you are immortal and you will get this feeling.

So what you are saying is....

You've accepted death by believing in the possibility of reincarnation, or that you will somehow merge with cosmic consciousness?

Hmmm..I can actually see how this might work. If you truly believe that you are immortal and that your mind/soul will continue on after you die, then you would have no fear of death in this incarnation.

--------------------
Word to your mom.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Thoughts and questions on death. [Re: Ahimsa]
    #11257071 - 10/15/09 11:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Option 3: this life repeats forever, but we never know it and its always exactly the same

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Re: Thoughts and questions on death. [Re: xFrockx]
    #11257135 - 10/15/09 11:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
Option 3: this life repeats forever, but we never know it and its always exactly the same

ooooooooo

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag