Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
How long do you meditate for?
    #11244789 - 10/14/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I meditated for a flat 30 minutes straight the other day, and felt awesome. 

I just set my celly phone alarm and sat and breathed.  It was the longest I've ever willingly meditated for. 

How long do you meditate?  I know it's not the length of time that counts, but I seem to get more out of it the more I do it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: MOTH]
    #11244801 - 10/14/09 09:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

20-30 minutes is a good time period.  It's become pretty standard for me.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: Silversoul]
    #11244806 - 10/14/09 09:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the reply.  Can you say how long you've been doing meditation and what benefits you've experienced in your life?

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#11244817 - 10/14/09 09:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hi Moth. I presently understand meditation as being present in the moment, breathing deeply and intently with awareness focused on my body, I go in and out of it but recently I've been meditating about 62% of my waking day. I've just started to do the same thing in my dreams which usually leads to lucidity.

I've heard that it's better to limit sitting meditation to 30 min or an hour at first, I'm not sure why. I do it for 30 min twice a day.

If you ever want a guided meditation, I highly recommend Adyashanti's 'True Meditation' or anything by Pema Chodron.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: Middleman]
    #11244851 - 10/14/09 09:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks!  I've read a book by Pema, I may check out that disc.  :smile:  I maybe could use some guided meditation sessions. 

I am very new to meditation.  I've been doing yoga for over a year now with regularity and it seems like moving meditation to me.  I've practiced meditation off and on throughout the years, but nothing solid or committed. 

I like the idea of being able to be in a meditative and "Present" state of mind all the time.  That's actually my goal.

Twice a day for 30 minutes sounds do-able, too...to help me cultivate that state of mind all day.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #11244913 - 10/14/09 09:50 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
Thanks for the reply.  Can you say how long you've been doing meditation and what benefits you've experienced in your life?

I just recently picked it up again after a long hiatus.  There was a time a couple years ago when I was doing it for about 10-15 minutes every day.  By "meditation," I am referring here only to sit-down meditation.  What it allowed me to do was to get into a meditative, apha-wave state of consciousness at will during my normal day.  This was excellent for stress relief, and it came in handy at a time when I had a really stressful job.  I once met a doctor who had recently published an article in a medical journal about the benefits of mindfulness meditation on patient recovery.  Getting into an alpha state can make you more calm and collected, and observing your own thoughts and emotions can give you greater self-control.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: Silversoul]
    #11244924 - 10/14/09 09:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Self-control is one of the most attractive qualities.  :thumbup:  And pretty much why I want to meditate more frequently.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#11245377 - 10/14/09 11:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

20 minutes is optimal. I practice prana for 20 minutes beforehand sometimes too. I began meditating 16 years go.

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: Fraggin]
    #11245412 - 10/14/09 11:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't really have a schedule. Usually about 15-20 minutes, a half hour at most.

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: Fraggin]
    #11245413 - 10/14/09 11:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I try to meditate all day long, for example concentrating on a certain emotion all day long, or keeping the hara, the one point, the point of gravity which is a required practise for martial arts. Or I keep attention on my breath all day long.. or monitoring the internal dialogue.. stuff like that.

What I do is turn everything into meditation. Except talking to people, that one I haven't figured out yet.

I also go into deep meditation, thats like half an hour to an hour or so, or 2 hours max. One time, I did it for 3 days nonstop which was the coolest experience in my life.

I've noticed, by meditating all day long, that sleeping and dreaming removes the effect of meditation... so I need to get into lucid dreaming too in order to stay in the meditation state, but meditation in lucid dreamin I haven't been able to pull off yet. That would be awesome to do.

Yeah I do realize meditation turned into an obsession, but thats the way I am, i think its the only way to really figure out meditation and to master it. Even with so much obsession, I'm still no good at it, but it will come one day.

InvisibleChronic7
    #11245705 - 10/14/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

All day long

When i sit, its rarely for more than half an hour, most times for ten minutes or so
At first sitting for long periods can be beneficial to enter into deeper states
Eventually you can sit & automatically everything drops away by itself within seconds!
Not everytime though...sometimes the mind can be busy, which is when it time to shapren the sword of contemplation :grin:

I saw you mention self control, i have to say that this is an obstacle in meditation not a benefit you should derive from it, if anything i find, that the deeper i go in my own meditation the more i see that i am not in control of anything, that this life is unfolding by itself, even without imagined will or intent...

Freedom can not be found in 'being in control'
Freedom is to see through control, yet to be totally centered & not lose your Self-focus

Really nice to see you back around MOTH :smile:

:peace:

--------------------

Edited by Chronic7 (10/14/09 12:37 PM)

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: Chronic7]
    #11246811 - 10/14/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Is focus not a form of control?

I know what you mean bro, just bustin your awakened chops.

InvisibleChronic7
    #11246970 - 10/14/09 03:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You could say focus is a sort of control, but what isit controlling?

Controlling focus... but what is focus?

This introspection/contemplation is so subtle it eventually thins out into pure space, which doesn't try to control anything, rather it allows every expression full potential

When focus focuses on focus, That is Pure Focus, its not holding onto anything but itself

That can sound Zenish & not mean anything, but its only the finger pointing to the moon...not the moon itself

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: Chronic7]
    #11247956 - 10/14/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No more water in the pail!

No more moon in the water!

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#11248733 - 10/14/09 08:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I know what you mean chronic, focusing on focus, doesn't sound zenish to me, makes a lot of sense. It's like the conscious, the I, the perceiver, the self, is pure focus, and the unconscious is the source that is being focussed upon.. meditation would be focussing on the process of focussing.. right?

InvisibleChronic7
Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: Diaboleros]
    #11251626 - 10/15/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Certainly, if it were to be focusing on an object then it would be practciing concentration, rather than penetrating to the soucre...which i consider meditation

I feel meditation is contemplating the Self  until everything thins out into pure space, then all that remains is effortless spontanious existence

--------------------

Invisiblewhatdidusay
Travelin Raver
Male

#11252659 - 10/15/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
I meditated for a flat 30 minutes straight the other day, and felt awesome. 

I just set my celly phone alarm and sat and breathed.  It was the longest I've ever willingly meditated for. 

How long do you meditate?  I know it's not the length of time that counts, but I seem to get more out of it the more I do it.

Well i when i meditate sober i usually get between an hour to 3 hours depending on the kind of meditation, is it a ritual etc (rituals take meditation that can take forever to do), and when im high or trippin it takes a much longer time. but ill never know. bc i cant uunderstand what time is , anymore. it makes no sense. so yea. usually like 8 hours sumtimes, mainly around 3-6 hours im guessin.

and forms of meditation are tai chi, zazen, and then shamanic/pagan stuff.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How long do you meditate for? [Re: whatdidusay]
    #11252696 - 10/15/09 12:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Another meditation question:

Say you're meditating, you've been doing it for ten minutes or so, and you suddenly have an itch on your leg.  Do you break form and scratch it and go on, or just let it itch, watch it, and work internally to transcend the experience of the sensation of "itching" without moving?

Invisiblewhatdidusay
Travelin Raver
Male

#11252702 - 10/15/09 12:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:

Say you're meditating, you've been doing it for ten minutes or so, and you suddenly have an itch on your leg.  Do you break form and scratch it and go on, or just let it itch, watch it, and work internally to transcend the experience of the sensation of "itching" without moving?

2nd option man, 2nd option. just ignore it...work internally, direct the sensation of the itch into the air around u or somethin....itll prolly help to smoke a joint or two also.

--------------------

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#11253402 - 10/15/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:

One of my Instructors uses this phrase.

"Make micro-adjustments to address what's distracting you. If you must scratch, do so mindfully and then passionatley bring your awareness back to your breath."

IOW, It is better to come out of meditation for a second to alleviate what is hindering your awareness, than to spend your entire meditation trying to ignore a hinderance.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags