Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Interestingly, the way to tell if these are toxic is to smell them. If they smell like ink then they are toxic and if they smell like anise or like store mushrooms then they are edible. I know its weird to base the decision on whether to eat them or not on the smell, but thats how it works.
If you get it wrong you puke for a few hours but there is no need medical attention. The ink smelling ones make you wish you were dead but won't actually kill you.
Make sure that they smell good when you cook them, the toxic ones start to smell like ink when you cook them.
Also some people are allergic to Agaricus so only eat a little bit the first time.
The color that it stains when its damaged is also significant in determining which species you have. Bruise the flesh and check for a color change; also check again in the same place after 30 minutes to see if that color has faded or changed at all.