Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
THINK OF THE CHILDREN
    #11245274 - 10/14/09 11:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why is it that the excuse for retarded laws and overreacting is "but think of the children"

but when budget cuts come around, we are so quick to take money from education?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: learningtofly]
    #11245285 - 10/14/09 11:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i blame conservatives and the military.

--------------------

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
    #11245290 - 10/14/09 11:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Forget the fucking children!

Works pretty well for me anyway. I live regret free.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
    #11245291 - 10/14/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Mainly just conservatives.  And when I say conservatives, I mean Republicans.  Those guys are assholes.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #11245328 - 10/14/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Probably because deep down everyone know our education system is crap and it throwing money at it isn't fixing shit. Needs complete reform.

OfflineTedwilto
Veni, vidi, vici
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunny Afternoon in
    #11245329 - 10/14/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thats why i cant buy blunt wraps in canada very soon. :sad:

--------------------

Song of the week, click Huey:

Song of the week list in journal.

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: Tedwilto]
    #11245338 - 10/14/09 11:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That's fucked up.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

OfflineTedwilto
Veni, vidi, vici
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunny Afternoon in
Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: g00ru]
    #11245352 - 10/14/09 11:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah. no more flavoured cigarillos or blunt wraps. fucking children.

--------------------

Song of the week, click Huey:

Song of the week list in journal.

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: g00ru]
    #11245361 - 10/14/09 11:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It's not conservatives it's the liberals as well in just a big a number, that whole blame it on the conservatives is bullshit and I love how the media uses this to brainwash people into becoming blind patriots to their cause. True conservatives would never allow such laws to be passed in the first place as a true conservative is pro-liberty. Republicans are not conservatives.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: highdroponics]
    #11245437 - 10/14/09 11:40 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My wife is a treasurer for the school system around here and she says they are desperat for funds. they can't even afford calculators or paper most of the time. The teachers have to bring in alot of the stuff they use for class or they just don't get it. The principal in the school she works at buys computers and blackboards with his own money. He also buys sports stuff for the kids so they can be on the schools sports teams.

Not only do teachers and the office workers not get paid shit, the schools can't even affor the materials they need to teach. Our city has the biggest school system in Indiana and we are not even the capitol. They are going to start shutting down schools soon we hear. It's fucking crazy.

The government only cares about the children when it helps their agendas. In reality they don't give a shit.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflineNobodyCares
Whatever and ever, amen
Male

Loc: Brilliance/Insanity
    #11245448 - 10/14/09 11:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Fuck the children.

People always assume because kids are small, stupid and cute that they must be defended and coddled at all costs. Screw that, it's part of the reason that so many of my peers are complete idiots who can't handle simple tasks like managing personal finances. I think we need to do what we can to make the lives of children more difficult so they can grow up to be capable, reasonable adults.

--------------------
The story goes, or the way that I was told
There was a king that always felt too high and then he fell too low
And so he called all the wise men to the hall
And begged them for a gift to end the rises and the falls
But here’s the thing, they came back with a ring
It was simple and was plainly unbefitting of a king
Engraved in black, it had no front or back
But there were words around the band that said
Just know: This Too Shall Pass

Edited by NobodyCares (10/14/09 11:44 AM)

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
    #11245474 - 10/14/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said: Republicans are not conservatives.

not in the truest definition, no.  but colloquially, the two terms have become synonymous. 

when i said conservatives, i was particularly thinking moral conservatives.  it makes me think of Rev. Lovejoy's wife from The Simpsons.

you're right though.  modern republicans aren't really "conservative" as they seem to have no problem allowing big gov to control more of their lives.

so far as the "education system's broke, can't be fixed", well i don't know about that.  it's a proven fact that better funded, better stocked schools produce more students ready on a collegiate level.  even public schools.  those well-funded schools are able to offer more options for learning, including degree of class intensity. 

if there were more money in education, new schools could be opened up to combat the absurd over-crowding and under-staffing issues that plague so many public schools.  i don't think you can accurately diagnose that there's no hope for the education system as a whole when there are so many little problems that are preventing the system from running at anything close to optimum capacity.

--------------------

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #11245516 - 10/14/09 11:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Republicans are pretty much bible thumping populists.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: NobodyCares]
    #11245548 - 10/14/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyCares said:
Fuck the children.

People always assume because kids are small, stupid and cute that they must be defended and coddled at all costs. Screw that, it's part of the reason that so many of my peers are complete idiots who can't handle simple tasks like managing personal finances. I think we need to do what we can to make the lives of children more difficult so they can grow up to be capable, reasonable adults.

Your logic is twisted. Do you have children? I do, i have 3 of them. I understand that politicians use our children to guilt us into or out of things, but to say making a child's life any harder than it already is is a bit ignoramus. They need to be educated and taught. We need better ways to educate and should be focusing more on a child's welfare without using it as empty words for politicians to toy with by making parents feel guilty.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: Kada]
    #11246716 - 10/14/09 03:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I realize that there isn't much of a correlation between the amount of money spent and producing 'smarter' kids (I concede that it definitely doesn't hurt to have up-to-date textbooks and facilities though) but considering that we spend 3x as much (in CA) on prisoners as we do on UC students... there's something wrong there. And plus all these budget cuts to the UC's is just fucked up considering that we're just pissing money away on other things.

My question isn't whether or not children actually need more money, but why people will claim we do everything for the children but not act on it.

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
    #11246857 - 10/14/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

learningtofly said:
I realize that there isn't much of a correlation between the amount of money spent and producing 'smarter' kids (I concede that it definitely doesn't hurt to have up-to-date textbooks and facilities though) but considering that we spend 3x as much (in CA) on prisoners as we do on UC students... there's something wrong there. And plus all these budget cuts to the UC's is just fucked up considering that we're just pissing money away on other things.

DUDE, YES! The budget cuts have fucked my shit up, man.

The campus store upped the prices on nearly everything. And they stopped selling cigarettes because of the new tax.

My school was planning on opening up a new coffee shop and a restaurant, but now they're delayed a year! Plus, we are supposed to be opening up a Material Sciences building and a new medical school, but now the deadlines are being pushed back all thanks to the budget cuts. Without these new buildings, some students will have to take alternative classes in order to comply with their major's requirements. And a lot of pre-med students are banking on the new medical school and some of the programs associated with it. This could fuck a lot of students in the long run.

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: meatcakeman]
    #11246935 - 10/14/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You're at Riverside right?

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
    #11246941 - 10/14/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Rivergay, yes.

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

OfflineNobodyCares
Whatever and ever, amen
Male

Loc: Brilliance/Insanity
Re: THINK OF THE CHILDREN [Re: Kada]
    #11246992 - 10/14/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I do agree that we need to educate and teach children. However I do not agree that children in this country have a 'hard life' by any means. They are fed, housed and given a very high quality of life. I think that by creating challenges and having high expectations for accomplishment is the only way to really develop virtue in children. If the opportunity to overcome hardship is never presented, then a child has no real way to learn important coping skills. And no I don't have any children of my own yet, but I can assure you that I will present my child with obstacles to overcome when it does come time for me to have my own. This is not to say that I will mindlessly torment them or try to make their life impossibly difficult, but I do realize now looking back that the major failing of my parents (any many of the parents of my friends/peers) was that they allowed me to get away with too much and did not present me with enough challenges. It has been extremely difficult for me to get the skills I need to succeed on my own because I have had to gain them all in college, and I think that had more emphasis been placed on things like self-discipline and hard work it would be much easier for me to move forward now.

--------------------
The story goes, or the way that I was told
There was a king that always felt too high and then he fell too low
And so he called all the wise men to the hall
And begged them for a gift to end the rises and the falls
But here’s the thing, they came back with a ring
It was simple and was plainly unbefitting of a king
Engraved in black, it had no front or back
But there were words around the band that said
Just know: This Too Shall Pass

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates