Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelightsdownlow
Stranger

double tub -- fall/winter vs spring/summer issues
    #11245227 - 10/14/09 12:59 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Hey guys, I wanted to ask about a peculiarity I encountered this last winter when I was doin' my usual double tub setup.  I usually use 16 qt tubs, holes drilled up 4 inches or so. I know some people say not to use tubs that small but it's always worked for me. 
I live in Boston, where it gets pretty cold in the wintertime.  In the past I had typically grown in the spring, from late march into may or so, partially just by chance and bc I get lazy in the wintertime.  But it's also easier to maintain appropriate temps and costs me less for heating! 

anyway, this last winter was actually the first time that I was having flushes in the middle of January.  However, while my flushes weren't terrible, they were not as good as what I had experienced in the past, because of one little thing I couldn't figure out:
Only the sides of the container would fruit, maybe three or four inches from the sides tops.  so the whole center of the tub was lacking pins.  I think maybe the first flush had a few pins in the middle but then it was totally fucked.  anyway, flushed a bunch of times but still only on the edges. 

this does not happen in the springtime.  wtf?

things to consider:
I had to keep a space heater on pretty hot to keep the room warm enough for the little guys.  this made the room very dry.  it also seemed like i had a lot of condensation in the tub. 

so what I think happened is that something about the environment of the room caused excessive condensation in the tub, and all of that moisture ran down the sides, such that only the sides of the tub got any juice for fruiting. 

on the other hand, i also speculated that since the room was so goddamn dry from the space heater, maybe the tub just had less moisture than it needed altogether.  again, the theory mentioned above could have still had a role in this. 

it's getting cold again and I've got another tub starting, and want to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

does anyone want to offer their take on this?  or maybe you live in cold climates and have endured similar travails?  I'm also wondering if I should get a humidifier to humidify the room (not the tubs themselves), but will the ambient humidity affect a polyfill-sealed tub?  any advice/remedies you can offer would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
Re: double tub -- fall/winter vs spring/summer issues [Re: lightsdownlow]
    #11245256 - 10/14/09 01:05 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Don't know about any of the other variables playing into the issue, but laying down a liner (such as half of a plastic trash bag) on the inside of your tubs before spawning will eliminate side pinning. It gets pretty cold here as well and aside from running a space heater in my basement I make no adjustments to the normal workflow :shrug:

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11245261 - 10/14/09 01:05 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

run a humidifier in the room should not affect the polyfill sealed tubs . The reason the tub had some mush condensation is because the 2 different temps from the inside of the FC walls and the Outside. I have grown in my room when it was down into the low 60's when its gets into the 50's i heat my room. Remember always heat your room not the FC

Edited by Shea25 (10/14/09 01:08 PM)

OfflineMLBjammer
Invitro Freak
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: double tub -- fall/winter vs spring/summer issues [Re: Shea25]
    #11245268 - 10/14/09 01:08 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

If you got side pins and no surface pins, the surface was much too dry.  Pins will form where the most moisture, humidity and warmth are.

Offlinelightsdownlow
Stranger

Re: double tub -- fall/winter vs spring/summer issues [Re: MLBjammer]
    #11245322 - 10/14/09 01:19 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Sorry for the confusion guys, I didn't get "side pins" in the sense that the surface was not pinning and the pins were coming out the sides. I had the trash bag liner and all that.  What I mean is that (on the surface!) only the outer edges of the surface pinned, probably about 3 inches all around the sides.  So just picture a rectangular container with a "frame" of pins along the edges, while the inside of the frame is empty.

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange

#11245362 - 10/14/09 01:27 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

lightsdownlow said:
only the outer edges of the surface pinned, probably about 3 inches all around the sides.

That's really weird.  do you have a pic?

Quote:

lightsdownlow said:
so what I think happened is that something about the environment of the room caused excessive condensation in the tub, and all of that moisture ran down the sides, such that only the sides of the tub got any juice for fruiting

Interesting theory, but usually for me where the water builds up is where some of the substrate doesn't colonize.  And if you used a trash bag liner then much of that condensation would have avoided the substrate altogether.

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
Re: double tub -- fall/winter vs spring/summer issues [Re: tall dwarf]
    #11245409 - 10/14/09 01:36 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Hrm, that is a weird one! :yesnod:

Do you use anything to foster a more even pinset such as the crumpled wax paper technique over your casing, do you mist, or do you just set your bins and forget them? Do you case at all? I would look to those areas for a solution

Offlinelightsdownlow
Stranger

Re: double tub -- fall/winter vs spring/summer issues [Re: xeallos]
    #11285929 - 10/20/09 07:27 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I do case and mist the casings, yes.  I would like to hear more about this crumpled wax paper technique, though.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation