Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Growing peyote from seed - how to
    #11236969 - 10/12/09 11:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just found that this was helpful + some people around here might aswell:

MOD EDIT: please no non sponsor links

I just followed it, but with my own soil mix and ziplocks on the containers instead of the terrarium.

Thought id share, for any newbies like me.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Edited by royer (10/13/09 06:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGroomies
Ghost
 User Gallery

Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: PDU]
    #11237125 - 10/13/09 12:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

doesn't it take like 10 years to grow it from seed to finish?

--------------------
:hotidea::hotidea::hotidea:

Invisiblejds

Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: Groomies]
    #11237179 - 10/13/09 12:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

what do you mean by finish? I doubt anyone would end up eating their peyotes after spending such a long time growing them.

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Edited by jds (10/13/09 01:05 AM)

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #11237319 - 10/13/09 12:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Groomies said:
doesn't it take like 100+ years to grow it from seed to finish?

*fixed  :tongue2:

Link looks good too.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: jds]
    #11237659 - 10/13/09 02:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HellDragon said:
what do you mean by finish? I doubt anyone would end up eating their peyotes after spending such a long time growing them.

This is my first cacti grow, and i've cut some corners so i am hoping "dumb luck and good intentions" will get me through this.

However, if all goes well, i will have a bunch and am very much looking forward to gifting them to friends.

I am growing as a hobby, but will imbibe in a few buttons 12 years down the road Forsure, I'd imagine this is somewhat typical ... who would grow peyote and then ... not eat a few? (maybe i am being stupid here?)

Anyways, a question regarding air circulation:

I've just sown my seeds 50 to a pot, the pots are 3x3" cubes. I have ziplock bags over the cubes, and elastics around the bottoms of the bags, essentially sealing them. is this alright? How much air exchange is required?

"If you use the plastic method you will keep it covered completely for 3 to 4 weeks. After this, you will put a small hole in the plastic. You will very slowly, over two to three weeks, increase the number and size of the holes. This regulates the humidity and helps get the plant used to the outside humidity. After it is regulated you can remove the plastic."

Besides that, my pots are sitting in a tray under a fluro and ontop of a seedling mat, the temp is constant at 80F.

Everything sound good, or should i use a looser fitting top on the containers to provide air exchange?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #11237778 - 10/13/09 04:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds good, plastic is breathable to a degree and will allow for enough gas exchange as seeds don't require a lot of oxygen to begin with. Some people suggest to open it and give air every so often, but I suppose that is up to you.

You've done your homework and sown the seed, now all their is to do is wait until they germinate and take it from there. Hope it works out.

--------------------

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #11238736 - 10/13/09 10:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PDU said:

Anyways, a question regarding air circulation:

I've just sown my seeds 50 to a pot, the pots are 3x3" cubes. I have ziplock bags over the cubes, and elastics around the bottoms of the bags, essentially sealing them. is this alright? How much air exchange is required?

"If you use the plastic method you will keep it covered completely for 3 to 4 weeks. After this, you will put a small hole in the plastic. You will very slowly, over two to three weeks, increase the number and size of the holes. This regulates the humidity and helps get the plant used to the outside humidity. After it is regulated you can remove the plastic."

Besides that, my pots are sitting in a tray under a fluro and ontop of a seedling mat, the temp is constant at 80F.

Everything sound good, or should i use a looser fitting top on the containers to provide air exchange?

That sounds like a lot of seeds for such a small space, but if you plan on grafting them then it should be okay.

Everything else sounds good, in my experience heat mats under the pots speed up growth and keep it nice and humid.
Good air circulation is always good to prevent the growth of mold and mildew, but if you are using a good soil/substrate then the real bad kind shouldn't be an issue.

Your bags are fine, just remove them once a day for a minute or two just to let some fresh air in. I have always had to do this anyway to mist the seedlings with some fresh water as the heat mat resulted in rapid water loss.
The key is to keep the seedlings constantly moist, don't let the soil dry out as with grown cacti.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: jds]
    #11242464 - 10/13/09 08:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HellDragon said:

was just my thought when i read that.

you never finish growing peyote.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: ferrel_human]
    #11242527 - 10/13/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:cheers: to that!

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: satyr]
    #11244156 - 10/14/09 04:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

satyr said:
Your bags are fine, just remove them once a day for a minute or two just to let some fresh air in. I have always had to do this anyway to mist the seedlings with some fresh water as the heat mat resulted in rapid water loss.
The key is to keep the seedlings constantly moist, don't let the soil dry out as with grown cacti.

Compared with what i read on another site:

+ karode13 said:

"Sounds good, plastic is breathable to a degree and will allow for enough gas exchange as seeds don't require a lot of oxygen to begin with. Some people suggest to open it and give air every so often, but I suppose that is up to you."

Could i get a second opinion? - How opening them... once a week, after they've germinated? They seem to be staying plenty humid thus far, much better than the terrarium.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
    #11244990 - 10/14/09 10:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Learn how to graft and get some pereskiopsis.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: highdroponics]
    #11246969 - 10/14/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said:

Its in the plan. One thing at a time. I just sowed the seeds!

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #11247059 - 10/14/09 04:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you open the container only once a week, then you risk inviting all sorts of contaminants that thrive in moist environments.
Just remove the plastic once a day to allow some fresh air in, replace plastic, and they will be fine.

As for acclimating them to low humidity, I would not worry about that until after they are grown and well established. This may take several weeks to several months, depending.

But for now, you just want a humid environment with no nasty growth of bacteria, mold or fungus.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Invisiblejds

Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: satyr]
    #11247084 - 10/14/09 04:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

When i grew t. bridgesii and peyote seeds, I didn't open the baggy at all, opening it just brings in contam as satyr said. After 1 or 2 months I started poking holes gradually and eventually took the whole thing off, they didn't mind at all

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#11249333 - 10/14/09 09:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PDU said:
Quote:

highdroponics said:

Its in the plan. One thing at a time. I just sowed the seeds!

I would split those 50 seeds into two batches and try a couple different ways just in case one batch doesn't look so good.  Getting some Pereskiopsis now is NOT a bad idea.  You can start grafting cactus seedlings before they have their first set of spines if you want to.  It would also be handy to start propagating the Pereskiopsis now so you'll have stock handy when you're ready.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Growing peyote from seed - how to [Re: PoC]
    #11273234 - 10/18/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Too late, they are planted and doing well.

Planted oct 12. and i have 3-5 seedlings in each container now, 6 days later.

Very viable seeds. :smile:

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags