Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

Grace
    #11244953 - 10/14/09 10:03 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

In the Christian context or otherwise, what's your take on it?
Do you have any use for it?

I find it to be a pretty powerful concept, though I'm not sure how I would define it in my own words.  I'm still a little unsettled on what I'd tell somebody else if the occasion arose.

From about.com:
Quote:

Grace is God's unmerited favor. It is kindness from God we don't deserve. There is nothing we have done, nor we can ever do to earn this favor. It is a gift from God. Grace is divine assistance given to humans for their regeneration (rebirth) or sanctification; a virtue coming from God; a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine favor.

It seems like it's a crux of the Christian faith.

Here's something else:
Quote:

Understanding the meaning of the words "grace" and "faith" is the key to New Testament theology.

Grace is not mercy. Mercy is mercy. Grace is not a license to sin. Many understand that grace is unmerited favor, and that is true. Grace, however, is much more than unmerited favor.

Grace comes from the Lord and is simply the God-given desire and the power to do God's will.

A good explanation of grace is found in the epistle to the Philippians: "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure" (2:13).

Grace and faith are both necessary for salvation as God grants repentance to the sinner who humbles himself before Him. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (Eph. 2:8).

God resists the proud; it is to the humble that He gives grace.

Faith (the kind that comes from God) is the knowledge of God's will for you, and grace is the God-given desire and power to do His will.

Faith without works (action) is dead, and you can only do an act of faith (God's revealed will) as you humble yourself before Him and receive the grace to do it. The Christian's sinful nature is still with him until he leaves his body, and if you were left to yourself you would not do God's will---you would have neither the desire nor the power to do it. Without Him you can do nothing (Jn. 15:5).

Jesus is the Author of faith (Heb. 12:2), and the apostle John tells us that "the law was given by Moses, but grace...came by Jesus Christ" (Jn. 1:17).

Another passage that gives us light regarding what grace is can be found in the letter to the Hebrews: "Now the God of peace...make you perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you that which is well-pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ..." (Heb. 13:20-21).

All our righteousness is as filthy rags. And all our works that are not of faith (according to the knowledge of God's will), as we receive His grace (the desire and the power to do God's will), are merely wood, hay and stubble. Everything that God does through you by faith as you receive His grace has eternity stamped on it.

Christians are vessels through which God desires to carry out His plan. All that you do should be by faith from God as you humbly receive His grace.

Much of the work done by Christians today is not in the power of the Holy Spirit, which is to say it is not of faith and is done in their own power. God only gives grace to do work that is of faith.

Everything that is not of faith is sin (Rm. 14:23) (our own works) and will burn up when tested by fire. Without faith from God it is impossible to please Him, and it is impossible to carry out works of faith without His grace.

Paul wrote in the first epistle to the Corinthian church, "...By the grace of God I am what I am: and His grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me" (1 Cor. 15:10).

The apostle wrote to Timothy, "And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry...And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus" (1 Tim. 1:12, 14).

"[God] who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace" (2 Tim. 1:9).

grace is the God-given desire and power to do His will.  So according to this definition, how are we responsible for our so-called sins?  Why should we take on the burden of sin?  I don't get it.

--------------------
Let that which doesn't matter truly not matter.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: Grace [Re: youbreakyoubuy]
    #11245081 - 10/14/09 10:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Depends. God's Grace = Fallacy.

Grace, as it is present in this world, defies logic.

Read the story about Babbette's Feast. Then you will understand Grace.

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

Re: Grace [Re: Fraggin]
    #11245293 - 10/14/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just googled that.  Do you mean the story about a movie?  Or some story the movie is based off of?

--------------------

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#11245327 - 10/14/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I read the story, never seen the movie.

There's an excerpt of the story in the book called "What's so amazing about grace?"

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #11245331 - 10/14/09 11:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

When I think of grace, my take on it is purely secular (as per the first two from the definitions below)...

Quote:

grace
  /greɪs/ –noun
1. elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.
2. a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment.
3. favor or good will.
4. a manifestation of favor, esp. by a superior: It was only through the dean's grace that I wasn't expelled from school.
5. mercy; clemency; pardon: an act of grace.
6. favor shown in granting a delay or temporary immunity.
7. an allowance of time after a debt or bill has become payable granted to the debtor before suit can be brought against him or her or a penalty applied: The life insurance premium is due today, but we have 31 days' grace before the policy lapses. Compare grace period.
8. Theology.
a. the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God.
b. the influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them.
c. a virtue or excellence of divine origin: the Christian graces.
d. Also called state of grace. the condition of being in God's favor or one of the elect.
9. moral strength: the grace to perform a duty.
10. a short prayer before or after a meal, in which a blessing is asked and thanks are given.
11. (usually initial capital letter) a formal title used in addressing or mentioning a duke, duchess, or archbishop, and formerly also a sovereign (usually prec. by your, his, etc.).
12. Graces, Classical Mythology. the goddesses of beauty, daughters of Zeus and Eurynome, worshiped in Greece as the Charities and in Rome as the Gratiae.
13. Music. grace note.
–verb (used with object)
14. to lend or add grace to; adorn: Many fine paintings graced the rooms of the house.
15. to favor or honor: to grace an occasion with one's presence.

--------------------

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

Re: Grace [Re: Mufungo]
    #11245392 - 10/14/09 11:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So how about that first definition?  I've heard multiple times before that mathematicians seek out elegant, or graceful, solutions to mathematical problems.  Isn't that interesting how we intuit that the answers to the big questions of reality are graceful and elegant?  Is that because we believe that we ourselves (humans) are clumsy, and therefore we seek solutions that lack the impulsive and jerky human touch?

--------------------

Edited by youbreakyoubuy (10/14/09 11:59 AM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #11245522 - 10/14/09 11:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Grace?

If she's cute I can find some use for her.

I really don't think that other shit exists.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

Re: Grace [Re: Icelander]
    #11245540 - 10/14/09 11:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ten-4 big buddy

--------------------

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: Grace [Re: Icelander]
    #11245558 - 10/14/09 12:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Grace?

If she's cute I can find some use for her.

I really don't think that other shit exists.

Grace is a personality trait. It does exist.

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #11245612 - 10/14/09 12:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

youbreakyoubuy said:
So how about that first definition?  I've heard multiple times before that mathematicians seek out elegant, or graceful, solutions to mathematical problems.  Isn't that interesting how we intuit that the answers to the big questions of reality are graceful and elegant?  Is that because we believe that we ourselves (humans) are clumsy, and therefore we seek solutions that lack the impulsive and jerky human touch?

I don't know that believing humans are clumsy is a prerequisite to interpreting something as graceful. As for big solutions being graceful/elegant, I think the adjective is more fitting to how the solution was communicated and the culmination of its effect on the senses. I.e something graceful triggers a synesthesia of delight, perhaps in the parietal lobe of the brain, so something looks beautiful, flows smoothly (vestibular/somatosensory), and is harmoneous to the ear... or something like that..

--------------------

InvisibleChronic7
    #11245646 - 10/14/09 12:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

For me Grace is whatever makes you question & probe deeper into life, even that which appears ungraceful by leading us into ignorance & away from looking within eventually will fall away & force us to look within, so Grace is everything

What is the purpose of this existence?
What does it all mean?
How can i find conistsent happiness?
Why do all beings suffer?
Who am I?

The quest to answer these questions arises due to Grace

:peace:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order