Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineeel_oh_eel
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: NW Ohio (USA)
Scenery pictures, Gym-Opolis, and an Amanita ID
    #11244613 - 10/14/09 10:32 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Went out for quite the chilly hunt - It got below freezing the night before, and since this is my first year hunting, I wanted to see what got effected and what didn't and what kind of things I could still find. Got some beautiful pictures that I wanted to share, and one ID request.

(ID request is at end.)

Though I can't tell you the location I went to, I can tell you that it is absolutely amazing. It's a massive nature preserve, which is generally in a state of unaffected-by-man.
It's so massive, that in the ten or so trips I've taken there in the last few months, I've still only seen a tiny sliver of the area. I generally walk for three or four miles each trip.

A random scenery shot.

This area I've discovered over the last few weeks, hosts a lot of big laughing gyms. Generally they're covoring rotting logs around the lake, but I'm about 90% positive that these are also BLGs. (They're identical and in the same region, but I'm a bit thrown off by where they're growing, so I suppose I could be wrong.) This tree was about 20" wide, and those mushrooms were circling the base. (There is a lot of rotting wood around the area.) Sadly, they're mostly rotting and decaying due to the freezing I believe.

This is a different tree nearby, also surrounded in a very similar mushroom. Similar, but NOT the same. These muchrooms didn't have any scent or flavor, and had MUCH lighter gills. (the gyms smell kind of like cinnamon and taste TERRIBLE.)

A scenery shot - Those little orange dots on a log towards the middle are more Gyms - However, they're old and quite rotted. They were about 5" wide in their stage of decomposition.

I found a bunch of these guys, in all sorts of varying stages of life. I think someone in a previous post I made suggested they were some sort of 'honey mushroom.' I don't know, but they're neat.

I found a MASSIVE haul of amanita muscaria var.... uh... amerimuscaria? I can't remember anymore, I was calling them formosa and then read that the name changed to something else, then a third name... Who knows. But either way, I found about five pounds of them. I had to take several trips to fill up my hunting bag, go to the car, and come back.

And here is my ID request: Found in a field with dozens and dozen's of amanita muscaria... I noticed this one was different, and am pretty sure that it is not of the same type.

Habitat: Conifer forest, identical habitat as amanita muscaria var. (probably amerimuscaria).
Cap: Tan, darkening towards center. Much less bright and lacking similar warm tones than the probably-amerimuscarias.
Gills: White, compact
Stem: Somewhat thick, thicker than the amerimuscarias. Less widening towards base. Appears to contain ring zoned at base.

Also, please, someone tell me if I have the right name on these. I was calling them Var. Formosas, but I think I read that the american muscarias that were previously called formosas are now amerimuscarias, and I have so much trouble keeping those things straight.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: Scenery pictures, Gym-Opolis, and an Amanita ID [Re: eel_oh_eel]
    #11244649 - 10/14/09 10:44 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome pictures, wish i could hunt in such "peaceful tranquill" area...i hunt where people love to Kick mushrooms...The propper name is Aminita Amerimuscaria, Theyv got so damn many it is hard to keep track of. Amanita Muscaria var. Formosa, Aminita Muscaria var. Guesowii, Anyways, i think Amanita Amerimuscaria is the most "recognized" name now.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Trusted Identifier
    #11244664 - 10/14/09 10:49 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

BLGs? looks like Armillaria sp to me.

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Scenery pictures, Gym-Opolis, and an Amanita ID [Re: cyanophilus]
    #11244672 - 10/14/09 10:52 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Armillaria sp to me as well, i have seen thousands of these over the past few weeks, everytime i think they could be gyms also.

--------------------

Offlineeel_oh_eel
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Scenery pictures, Gym-Opolis, and an Amanita ID [Re: cyanophilus]
    #11244680 - 10/14/09 10:54 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I'm certainly no expert :smile: Exactly why I don't try to ID other peoples' mushrooms, hehe. I had confirmed Gyms once that were definitely BLGs, everything fit exactly and a TI agreed that they seemed to be. The ones growing at the base of that tree are very similar - The color is a bit off, but they have the same smell and bitter taste (thought the taste was much less vomit-inducing. i didn't eat them of course, just put a little piece in my mouth for identification purposes.)

The only ones I'm positive are gyms are the ones on the rotted tree that I didn't bother wading through muck to get to, since that is the same location as the other gyms I found and are in the same spots and look the same and such. In fact, I don't know how long gyms live, but they're probably the SAME gyms. :P

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11245915 - 10/14/09 03:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

And here is my ID request: Found in a field with dozens and dozen's of amanita muscaria... I noticed this one was different, and am pretty sure that it is not of the same type.

Maybe its Amanita brunnescens.

Offlineeel_oh_eel
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Scenery pictures, Gym-Opolis, and an Amanita ID [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11246140 - 10/14/09 03:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

From most of the pictures that I've seen, the base looks perfect and the cap looks... well... mostly perfect for brunnscense. I think it's a good guess to go with, and I'm proud of myself for identifying it as being different!

It's nice being new at something sometimes, because you get chances to be proud of doing things right. I'm trying to be very careful with these amanitas since I know they can be a dangerous game.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification