Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse   eBay Lighters

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFungus Amongus
Spore Herder
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Mushrooms growing like morons... HELP! (pics)
    #11244329 - 10/14/09 08:29 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hey all,

Thanks for all the help from the experts on here... what an amazing place!

I've been growing PF classic strain on BRF cakes. Everything had been going fine...

That was the first flush. Since then, I can't get them to grow anywhere near that size. Not even close. Those shrooms you see in that pic are about the size of a bic lighter.

that cake just flushed a second time with a total flush weight of 14.80 grams... WTF??

heres a pic of the flush

you can see many are turned down and turning blue/green by the cap... a sign of poor FAE and aborting fruit.

I open up the FC and fan once every hour. I have it in a room with a fan in the opposite end of the room pointed at a wall and its near my window for indirect (but sometime direct) light.

my humidity has been dropping every night 10% or more so I took the cakes out of the FC and poured fresh filtered water on the perlite to rehydrate. The RH is still dropping but now only 5%. Is humidity in my house too low and "drying out" the fc??

Also I WAS misting every 3 hours or so but then I noticed this...

Look at all those aborted pins... too much misting eh? Well I've cut back... but the more I cut back on misting the lower the RH goes....

Here are my questions...

1) Did I buy too small of an FC... is CO2 building up too quickly to effectively grow 4 cakes?

2) how can I improve my FAE? Can I leave the lid off for a bit? fan on a timer? (I heard direct fans are not recommended)

3) Why am I getting such shitty flushes that all try to die just before I pick them? I see people doing the exact same tek I'm doing to a T and getting 80 grams fresh per flush...

Thanks for any and all advice... please let me know if you want me to take specific pictures of anything and I will..

--------------------
I hate long winded signatures.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms growing like morons... HELP! (pics) [Re: Fungus Amongus]
    #11244350 - 10/14/09 08:36 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Check your perlite, make sure its not soaked. There should be NO standing water... Also, make sure the perlite is wet enough... in a shotgun FC with perlite, you should be at 100% rH...
You should be fanning quite often. I would say put a fan in the room that the FC is in just have it blowing around to push air around. I put a small fan built into my FC, but that didn't really help me much.
What is the temp in the room? Try to keep it at 70F constantly. I have a thermostat controlling the temp in my grow closet.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineFungus Amongus
Spore Herder
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms growing like morons... HELP! (pics) [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11244360 - 10/14/09 08:43 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The temp is constantly between 73 and 76. (oxymoronic statement?)

Anyway. There is a fan in the room... but not directly pointed at the FC because I felt like it was literally drying the perlite out even morso.

There was a bit of standing water in the bottom after rehydration but I drained it out and theres no more standing water.

This is so frustrating because I'm reading countless posts that say downward growing, sideways growing, and caps that break prematurely, are a sign of poor FAE but I'm giving them as much damn air as I can!!

--------------------

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#11244369 - 10/14/09 08:47 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe your giving too much air... I mean I grow in a closet... It dont get any air via a fan... I check them a few times a day... 4 at most and fanned then.
However now I am using a 4 tier greenhouse so I tried to automate the whole proccess..

I'd say that the perlite being too wet is a problem. I mean if you had standing water in there that prevents your rH from building. Also, try fanning 3x per day... I'd stop misting altogether. I never noticed a problem when I didn't mist. I only fanned.

I never really had my temps above 75F. So be careful of any spikes in temp

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#11244374 - 10/14/09 08:49 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Looking at the pics again, they look like they are dying for some rH... They just look so beaten down! lol, they look like they are trying their asses off to grow for ya.

I would stop misting, fan 3x per day and make sure your perlite is done up right...
You should be good then.
Not that this matters (in my opinion) but how much light are they getting...12on/12off?

--------------------

OfflineFungus Amongus
Spore Herder
Male User Gallery

#11244376 - 10/14/09 08:51 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

A couple of times I've noticed that sun rays were coming in through my blinds and hitting my FC... the temp has spiked to 80 once or twice. Will this cause similar problems? I was trying to put the FC in a location with good light because I don't have the means to install reliable fluorescent lighting appropriate for the grow....

--------------------

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#11244385 - 10/14/09 08:55 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yea man I think 80F is way too hot...
Do you have a closet or anything you can devote to your grow? That is ideal for my situation. It's in the back of my apt away from everything.

I mean you could even put the SG in a room that you have the light set to a timer. It don't need direct light, but it does need 12hours of light...  Flurescents and stuff aint neccessary. I have a cheap little 10$ light I bought from walmart that works just fine. check my past posts from last year to see my setup...

--------------------

OfflineFungus Amongus
Spore Herder
Male User Gallery

#11244395 - 10/14/09 09:02 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Nuzzle said:
Yea man I think 80F is way too hot...
Do you have a closet or anything you can devote to your grow? That is ideal for my situation. It's in the back of my apt away from everything.

I mean you could even put the SG in a room that you have the light set to a timer. It don't need direct light, but it does need 12hours of light...  Flurescents and stuff aint neccessary. I have a cheap little 10$ light I bought from walmart that works just fine. check my past posts from last year to see my setup...

Well I figured  it would be ok.. I mean in nature those shrooms are in sun filled cow pastures all day and still grow fine...

I'll check your logs... you have a lot of posts... any chance you can send a link?

--------------------

OfflineFungus Amongus
Spore Herder
Male User Gallery

#11244451 - 10/14/09 09:27 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Well I just checked the bottom of my fc and BOOM standing water....

I have it on a 35 degree angle now draining. I hope this will improve airflow and thus RH levels...

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #11244534 - 10/14/09 10:05 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Nuzzle said:
Flurescents and stuff aint neccessary. I have a cheap little 10$ light I bought from walmart that works just fine. check my past posts from last year to see my setup...

RR and many other knowledgeable people on here use 6500K fluorescent lights and say to put them as close to the FC as possible. Over years of experience and many many grows, it has been determined that people using bright blue light, close to the FC will get a better pin (provided all other conditions are met) that if you used a normal light or even the windows. Other lights will certainly work, but the way that I described is said to be best by many!

OfflineFungus Amongus
Spore Herder
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms growing like morons... HELP! (pics) [Re: daytripper05]
    #11244554 - 10/14/09 10:11 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

daytripper05 said:
Quote:

Nuzzle said:
Flurescents and stuff aint neccessary. I have a cheap little 10$ light I bought from walmart that works just fine. check my past posts from last year to see my setup...

RR and many other knowledgeable people on here use 6500K fluorescent lights and say to put them as close to the FC as possible. Over years of experience and many many grows, it has been determined that people using bright blue light, close to the FC will get a better pin (provided all other conditions are met) that if you used a normal light or even the windows. Other lights will certainly work, but the way that I described is said to be best by many!

My next setup will utilize that information! thanks!

Also... my shrooms seem to grow the most during the dark hours. I've taken many pictures to document my theory. Does anyone know why this is?

--------------------

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

#11244803 - 10/14/09 11:24 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The temp is constantly between 73 and 76. (oxymoronic statement?)

not really since you included a range. constantly doesn't necessarily refer to an instant in time or action, it can also refer to the repetiveness of the action.

funny--good thinking Fungus Amongus. i like that.

houdinihar

OfflineFungus Amongus
Spore Herder
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms growing like morons... HELP! (pics) [Re: houdinihar]
    #11244876 - 10/14/09 11:40 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I thought I was ok on that one  :thewarden:

So I just took all the perlite out of my FC, rinsed out the FC and dried it out, put the perlite back in and set the cakes on it. Its been SLOWLY rising in RH but still is only about 90%.

Hopefully things will pick up from here...

--------------------

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#11244929 - 10/14/09 11:55 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fungus Amongus said:
Hey all,

Thanks for all the help from the experts on here... what an amazing place!

I've been growing PF classic strain on BRF cakes. Everything had been going fine...

That was the first flush. Since then, I can't get them to grow anywhere near that size. Not even close. Those shrooms you see in that pic are about the size of a bic lighter.

that cake just flushed a second time with a total flush weight of 14.80 grams... WTF??

heres a pic of the flush

you can see many are turned down and turning blue/green by the cap... a sign of poor FAE and aborting fruit.

I open up the FC and fan once every hour. I have it in a room with a fan in the opposite end of the room pointed at a wall and its near my window for indirect (but sometime direct) light.

my humidity has been dropping every night 10% or more so I took the cakes out of the FC and poured fresh filtered water on the perlite to rehydrate. The RH is still dropping but now only 5%. Is humidity in my house too low and "drying out" the fc??

Also I WAS misting every 3 hours or so but then I noticed this...

Look at all those aborted pins... too much misting eh? Well I've cut back... but the more I cut back on misting the lower the RH goes....

Here are my questions...

1) Did I buy too small of an FC... is CO2 building up too quickly to effectively grow 4 cakes?

2) how can I improve my FAE? Can I leave the lid off for a bit? fan on a timer? (I heard direct fans are not recommended)

3) Why am I getting such shitty flushes that all try to die just before I pick them? I see people doing the exact same tek I'm doing to a T and getting 80 grams fresh per flush...

Thanks for any and all advice... please let me know if you want me to take specific pictures of anything and I will..

This is why i don't reccomend shotgun tubs. The theory is sound, but it just leaves too much to guess. Get a fish tank and rig up a fan on one of those cheap outlet timers so it fans the tank for a good period every day. Fan by hand when you check your shrooms out, and mist at that time also.

Another thing you can do is get fish tank pumps. I've scrounged up four so in each corner of my tank there's a small glass of water with a bubbler. I imagine this helps with air exchange somewhat.

--------------------

wat man rly

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Mushrooms growing like morons... HELP! (pics) [Re: blujay]
    #11245012 - 10/14/09 12:15 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

your shotung is probably working fine, have you calibrated your hygrometer propperluy? you have holes in the bottom and top? and that the your tub is raised atleast a few inches to allow air to get to the bottom.

from the 2nd pic it looks like you have soaked your cakes, those pins look very wet. getting yoiur mushrooms wet is fine but dont leave them wet, that can cause bacteria to grow, causing bacterial blotch on caps, and can cause pins to abort.

if your misting your cakes and constantly keeping them wet than can cause poor performnance, you want moisture to evaporate from your sub, and you want to replace it with misting.

Mist well from above your terrarium pointing in allowing a good fine mist to all inside, then you can can afterwords to dry any pools of moisture that has formed on fruitbody.

you only need to give fae 3-4 times a day in a shotgun, and mist aswell. at most FAE 7-8 and mist 3-4.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse   eBay Lighters

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation