Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleentheoindole
Seāð Wīdfarend
 User Gallery

Loc: Eormensyll, Vīnland
Feild Guides / Manuals / Glossaries
    #11228797 - 10/11/09 07:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I know that there is no single, definitive guide or manual, but from what I've gleaned... this seems to be the most highly lauded book:

I'm not so sure about field guides... I used to think the Audubon guide was a good guide but have seen a quite a few negative ratings on it recently. I used to hunt  wild edibles when I was younger and did use the Audubon guide, but it's been a long time... I've recently rekindled my interest in wild edibles and want to find the most trust worthy resources for a novice hunter, maybe a good online mycology glossary to reference and a good book about mycology in general as well as field guides / Manuals...

Any recommendations folks?

Edited by entheoindole (10/11/09 08:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Feild Guides / Manuals / Glossaries [Re: entheoindole]
    #11228951 - 10/11/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

may as well just call that book the mushroom bible for beginners
if your new to the scene and want to get started and move ahead with mushroom identification, definitely get that book and study hard through the beginning of the book (dont just flip to the color photos haha)
that book doenst have as many east coast species but it rocks for the pacific northwest and will work to get anyone out there and identifying.

OfflineAcorn
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: in the woods
Re: Feild Guides / Manuals / Glossaries [Re: cyanophilus]
    #11229022 - 10/11/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I like to use Keys.  they are really usefull.  mushroomexpert.com has several also for those who don't have the book.  and google books lets you view it free online=most of it.

Edited by Acorn (10/11/09 07:44 PM)

Invisibleentheoindole
Seāð Wīdfarend
 User Gallery

Re: Feild Guides / Manuals / Glossaries [Re: cyanophilus]
    #11229494 - 10/11/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cyanophilus said:
that book doenst have as many east coast species but it rocks for the pacific northwest and will work to get anyone out there and identifying.

That's unfortunate, considering I live on the eastern seaboard... is there any reputable field guides for the east coast any one would recommend?

I pretty much already decided to purchase "Mushrooms Demystified" before I posted this query... Still, I hope for more suggestions... What about a good field guide or books on general mycology?

Quote:

Acorn said:
I like to use Keys.  they are really usefull.  mushroomexpert.com has several also for those who don't have the book.  and google books lets you view it free online=most of it.

Thanks for the link... I found this page of references there. Quite an extensive list of books!

Edited by entheoindole (10/11/09 09:07 PM)

Invisiblelqdtrance
Hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NY
    #11229541 - 10/11/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have "Mushrooms of North East North America" by George Barron. It is one of my favorites out here on the east coast. But like all field guides, they lack some of the species found in the area.

--------------------
Pandha Piranha.

InvisibleBipolardox
^^^Like the name says^^^
Male

Loc: Renton Wa
    #11229548 - 10/11/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I went with the national audubon society field guide to north america mushrooms (I know, the title's a mouthfull) Color index, but color index has listed by "common names" ex "potent psilocybe, liberty caps etc

--------------------
"When everyone goes home, you're stuck with yourself."
~Layne Staley~
"Life Is Good, and every breath is a gift"  ~Bipolardox~

Invisibleentheoindole
Seāð Wīdfarend
 User Gallery

Re: Feild Guides / Manuals / Glossaries [Re: Bipolardox]
    #11229576 - 10/11/09 09:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I wonder if there is a guide that deals with the entire eastern seaboard or specifically the south-east?

Offlinemycot
Crazy as fuck
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #11243622 - 10/14/09 12:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Two very good glossary's can be found in the sticky in this forum.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: Feild Guides / Manuals / Glossaries [Re: mycot]
    #11243828 - 10/14/09 01:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Mushrooms of North America by Roger Phillips has a fair amount of species, and many large color photographs. It is coffee table size and full of great pics and descriptions.

Nearly every species has a picture with different stages of growth, gills, and sliced. It's a beautiful book, and sometimes hard to find.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract