Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
something new about datura...
    #11243369 - 10/14/09 01:26 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

On a whim I put many D. stramonium seeds into a morter and I pulverized them, I was going to steep them in alcohol and see what the evaporate looked like.

Once pulverized, on another whim, I put the mash under a UV light.

Then I saw it.

A few seeds, not all, in fact, a small percentage, are filled with a phosphorecent substance, green, like scorpions under black light.  I painstakingly collected as many of the small particles as I could and deposited them in a vial.

I then disected several seeds to find more, but alas, It seems most are simply normal, only a few exhibit a phosphoresence.

also I noticed that the green glowing agent stains my fingertips, this is only visable under the UV, it doesnt seem to rub off on any other surface, but it stains skin intensely, like a highlighter.  All seeds, even those that aren't visably phosphorecent seem to leave a glowing resudue on skin if broken, But the seeds that already glow leave a great deal of this effect.

perhaps this is scopolomine? Being transdermally active, it would explain why it gets into skin so readily,  and with visual detectibility being peculular to a mere few of the seeds could be the answer to why dosages are so variable....  suffice to say, I gave the fingers a good scrub.

I implore others here, with their own seeds, to put on some gloves and start pulverizing.  then examine under blacklight.  Please tell me what you see, I want to rule out that I am merely encountering some fungal growth that infected only certain seeds.

Hopefully I dont go delerious.... I had no intention of ever consuming the stuff, just sorta dissecting it. call it a "ritual symbolic dosage"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

Re: something new about datura... [Re: Mitchnast]
    #11243499 - 10/14/09 01:58 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I guess it is transdermally active(atropine alkaloids), because witches used to rub it on their pulse points then go fly around on brooms.

Interesting though that something would glow under a UV light.

Just wanted to throw that little tid-bit in there.

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness

Re: something new about datura... [Re: smaerd]
    #11243560 - 10/14/09 02:17 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

specifically, scopolamine is a well-known transdemally active drug.
It's often used in anti-nausea patches.
very low doses are medicinally useful.

Handling materials that have been visually selected by alkaloid expression via phosphoresence could be very dangerous if the substance is indeed scopolamine.

I believe of all the tropanes in these plants, it is the only one significantly absobed through contact, and therefore, topical preparations are usually more scopolamine-focused.

You can literally crush a seed with your fingernails, and notice no glow on the seed, or in it at all, but the skin around your fingers will have a yellow green glowing residue.

Crush a few thousand seeds and you will see that 50 or so exhibited a very strong glow, while the rest had none at all.

very strange.

I wonder what would happen if selectively separated seed particles were cushed completely in a large quantity, and the substance was put in a sustained contact with a persons skin......

That's about the only way I can think of to test my little theory.  But I don't want to know THAT badly.  For starters, I'd want to have some muscarine handy.

Invisiblekoraks
    #11244050 - 10/14/09 05:03 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I'm not sure what to make of this and I'm not in a position to repeat your experiment, but just by the looks of it, I think your scopolamine hypothesis has some flaws. The fact that scopolamine is transdermally 'active' does not necessarily imply that reactions will occur between the skin (skin tissue? or other compounds, e.g. salts?) and the scopolamine. Hence, in my opinion, the presence of a fluorescent compound after skin contact doesn't mean that the precursor compound you're looking for is transdermally active. On the contrary, I'd say; the fact that scopolamine can pass the skin barrier and affect the CNS implies that the compound doesn't react with anything before it actually enters the body, so it seems highly unlikely that it is transformed and then forms a fluorescent film on the skin.

I'd be more inclined to think along the lines of substances such as lawsone (the pigment in henna), which reacts with certain proteins in the skin to give its characteristic color. I'd say it's not unlikely that a similar compound exists which yields a fluorescent product when brought into contact with substances naturally present in, or on the surface of, the human skin. Indeed, many compounds exhibit UV-induced fluorescence. Perhaps you're seeing a compound that is actually just present 'as is' in the seeds, but which stands out very clearly on your skin due to other reasons. It may be an oily substance, for example, which spreads out really easily on your skin surface.

Can't be of much help, sorry :shrug:

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #11246328 - 10/14/09 04:15 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Nice experiment, UV lights can tell us a lot about certain plants.

I think the sticky nature of the glowing compound is that it is an oil, probably unsoluble in water otherwise it would wash easily.

FH

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness

Re: something new about datura... [Re: felixhigh]
    #11246547 - 10/14/09 04:47 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I figured it must react to oil, hence the phosphorsecence when contacting the surface of skin.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #11246677 - 10/14/09 05:05 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I have scopolamine pills in front of me, I could crush some and watch under UV in order to see if it glows.

FH

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness

Re: something new about datura... [Re: felixhigh]
    #11247332 - 10/14/09 06:49 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

why crush? they pill should glow.

if not, see if they leave a glowing residue on your fingers

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden