Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineseeker28
student
Male User Gallery

Loc: The 28th Dimension
the infinite
    #11243297 - 10/14/09 01:09 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

so last night i spent some time looking at the stars. and came to the realization that yes, it is highly probable there is life out there, because if the universe is infinite, then there must've been some other "big bangs" somewhere out there.

but the crux of it is, this planet could be long gone in the time it may take to travel to these other "worlds", deeming the trillions of $$ we spend on the search for "life out there" pretty futile.

maybe planets like ours just come and go, their life span measured by the rate at which it takes a life form to evolve to the point where they mold their environment to suit them, instead of the other way round. the natural way. eventually, inevitably, destroying it. Would the inhabitants of these far off worlds have the same notions of "God" as we do?

Oh well. back to my politics assignment i go...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: the infinite [Re: seeker28]
    #11243312 - 10/14/09 01:13 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

If you think there were other big bangs in this universe, stick to politics. :smirk:

And yes, we will probably exist for a blink of time in the grand scheme of things. Enjoy the ride.

OfflineShroomScape
Sexplorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation
    #11243339 - 10/14/09 01:19 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

As far as I understand cosmological theory, and it isn't very far, there wouldn't be multiple big bangs for each galaxy. I'm assuming you meant to say galaxy when you said "universe" because I believe that universe is the all encompassing term for everything that there is in existence, while 'galaxy' is just a collection of solar systems and such.

If the universe is infinite, then the possibility of life out there is not only possible, but probable. The thing we humans get so caught up in is the idea that "life out there" will resemble "life the way it is here." Our life is carbon based and revolves around water, so we assume that life somewhere else will have arms, legs, teeth, eyes, stomachs, etc. Other kinds of "life" may exist that are not carbon-based or water dependent and may be completely antithetical to what are expectations are.

Some philosopher once soberly reminded us: "That if goats could conceive of a god, God would be a goat..."

My own two cents...

Offlineseeker28
student
Male User Gallery

Re: the infinite [Re: ShroomScape]
    #11243403 - 10/14/09 01:35 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

nice.

i have no problems admitting i am a complete amateur and probably lack the terminology to come across with the appropriate clarity, but yeh, when i said "universe", i just meant, you know, well, the infinite expansion behind the stars.

i dunno if it's subconscious or just that i haven't really deeply contemplated it but i suppose i've just seen the black sky behind the stars as one big black canvas..like, i've known there is just space out there, but last night it really struck me - i wasn't simply looking at the night sky, but into the infinite, and if i was able to look further, the sky would be beaming with stars because the visible ones were just the ones closest enough to earth.

it was kinda humbling to say the least. when i got back to my politics assignment i laughed at how the politicians consistently bickered amongst themselves over comparatively insignificant things.

Offlinekennedy
Male

Re: the infinite [Re: ShroomScape]
    #11243423 - 10/14/09 01:39 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

do you guys think that once our universe expands too far (since it is currently expanding) it will freeze entirely because molecules will be too far apart to move around, or will it contract back into itself and create a new big bang?  Is our universe a one shot deal or is it part of a cycle?
It's crazy to think about the whole universe freezing forever with no potential for any life.
I don't expect anyone to actually answer this, I just like to think about it.

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

#11243435 - 10/14/09 01:41 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

the beauty of all this is that we are not alone.  we have never been.

its just a matter of time when we realize what intelligence really is.

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

OfflineShroomScape
Sexplorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation
Re: the infinite [Re: kennedy]
    #11243445 - 10/14/09 01:44 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Last I heard, and astrophysics does seem to change frequently, the universe was actually expanding, and expanding at a faster and faster rate. Therefore, the idea of there being a "big crunch" (a fall back into the original singularity) to compliment the big bang is no longer believed in.

On a purely speculative note: I like to think that our universe is unique and special and will continue to progress in some sort of linear fashion. However, beyond our own physical dimension I suspect there are other dimensions, other realties, other forms of existence so completely alien to our own that they are beyond comprehension.

Offlineseeker28
student
Male User Gallery

#11243450 - 10/14/09 01:45 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

no life...that brings forth the question - what the FUCK is death like?

it's kind of scary and hard to grasp...i can't imagine it..i wouldn't even BE. where would i be?

This is where the notion of reincarnation becomes very appealing/comforting. coz life goes on right?

Is the cycle of eternal life just recycling our souls?

Offlinekennedy
Male

#11243696 - 10/14/09 02:53 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

seeker28 said:

it's kind of scary and hard to grasp...i can't imagine it..i wouldn't even BE. where would i be?

This is where the notion of reincarnation becomes very appealing/comforting. coz life goes on right?

Is the cycle of eternal life just recycling our souls?

I like the idea that there is some unobservable force of life which flows in and out of different organisms, I'm not sold on it though.

If you are interested in what makes consciousness and the way the brain works you should read a book called "I am a Strange Loop" by Douglas R. Hofstadter,  It's really interesting, though nothing else I've read has made me lose so much hope for the idea of a soul.  Oh well.

Offlineseeker28
student
Male User Gallery

#11243746 - 10/14/09 03:09 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

kennedy said:
...though nothing else I've read has made me lose so much hope for the idea of a soul.  Oh well.

maybe that's why we were given mushrooms :shrug:

:mushroom2::yinyang::peace:

InvisibleNlightNd1
∇Δ∇Δ∇Δ∇
Male User Gallery

Loc: Holographic Omniverse
    #11244293 - 10/14/09 07:53 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Considering that there are at least several hundred billions of galaxies with billions of stars each, it seems like the absence of life elsewhere in the physical universe is completely impossible. There must be other lifeforms out there and there must be intelligent lifeforms too. I used to believe that there were other planets nearly identical to Earth out there with humans on them. Nowadays I know this to be false. I think every advanced civilization is very unique. Once you've realized there are other intelligent extraterrestrial civilizations in our universe, it will completely boggle your mind to think about it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a race of gigantic super-intelligent insects out there. Our universe is incredibly amazing.

--------------------
Turn off your mind, relax and floatdown stream. It is not dying. Lay down all thought, surrender to the void. It is shining.

:darkside: Pink Floyd :darkside:

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #11245070 - 10/14/09 12:27 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

seeker28 said:

The scary, and real answer is that it's just like it was before you were born.

:yesnod:

And yes, you no longer "exist" but you don't care.

Enjoy life.

You could also believe in magic, but in the end... it doesn't matter.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #11245357 - 10/14/09 01:26 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

so last night i spent some time looking at the stars. and came to the realization that yes, it is highly probable there is life out there, because if the universe is infinite, then there must've been some other "big bangs" somewhere out there.
]

You came to this " realization" how? Who sez the universe is infinite?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineseeker28
student
Male User Gallery

Re: the infinite [Re: Icelander]
    #11251216 - 10/15/09 07:51 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
]

You came to this " realization" how? Who sez the universe is infinite?

comon man cut me some slack it was late, i was tired and i'm only 19 and i've got a lifetime of learning ahead of me..surely you couldn't expect me to articulate my ideals to perfection, you'll just have to catch the gist of what i'm saying i'm afraid.. "realization", "epiphany", "moment of clarity" whatever you want to call it.."moment of clarity" would probably suit better, in hindsight.

"Who says the universe is infinite?" good point actually..i guess no one would ever really be able to know for sure..only hypothesize..but i just got that feeling of infinity looking up there, past the stars..

someone else said that being dead feels like pre-birth. Interesting notion, i suppose that's it..wow..i could say it's scary, but i would be nonexistent so i wouldn't care..

but that then brings forth the question: do our souls continue to exist when our bodies move on? i mean..it makes sense that we wouldn't remember our previous *non*/existence because it's not something that would be stored in our brains, because as pure souls we wouldn't have had brains..or different brains altogether were we to have existed in a different body..

interesting how the christian ideology is that you "go to heaven" when you die. i've always imagined it as a place with every human desire/luxury whatever, but it wouldn't be human at all...it would just be souls...in the heavens...returning to the "infinite", the universe/cosmos/giant washing-machine of anti/matter, or as some might say, "the divine".

so it makes sense that we have no memory or proof of reincarnation..but moreso a feeling of a past life/past lives/experience/innate wisdom within us.

i hope this is somewhat intelligible, i'm tired and my english teacher says i ramble sometimes...

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
You are under arrest!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Urban Jungle
    #11251266 - 10/15/09 08:12 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

but that then brings forth the question: do our souls continue to exist when our bodies move on?

Do unicorns still exist if we stop feeding them?

--------------------

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

Loc: Mountains on the Moon
Re: the infinite [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11251369 - 10/15/09 08:47 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, you need to shoot them.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology