Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAngryPhil
Herenow

The Potential of the Human Brain
    #11239127 - 10/13/09 02:12 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

The potential of the human brain has been significantly reduced by natural selection. Being able to use the full ability of our minds is not beneficial for survival and reproduction. Think about the autistic savants who are able to process complex numbers and equations in their heads, or who can draw images with amazing accuracy after seeing them only once. It's not that the autism has given them special abilities, but instead it has repressed what inhibits these abilities in all of us. If we don't destroy ourselves before we get a chance, we'll some day find a way to unlock this potential and enter a new era of human existence. Our thoughts and conscious will coincide with the natural order of the universe instead of with concern for our own survival.

EDIT: Just to remove some confusion, I only mentioned the autistic savants as an example of human mind potential that isn't reached by a normally developing brain. I'm not saying savants are mentally superior to others.

--------------------
The creation takes hand of the chisel...

Edited by AngryPhil (10/13/09 02:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: The Potential of the Human Brain [Re: AngryPhil]
    #11239170 - 10/13/09 02:18 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

And we'll all be barely able to speak, do daily tasks, make eye contact or any type of physical contact.

We'll cry and scream when we're little, unable to be comforted, and beat our own faces with our fists.

Sounds like a fail idea to me.

The minds of math savants have been described as more or less like calculators- they have no real advanced concept of what they're doing, they can just run numbers.  There's no use being able to do that if you can't apply the ability to a bigger picture.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineAngryPhil
Herenow

Re: The Potential of the Human Brain [Re: DragonChaser]
    #11239239 - 10/13/09 02:31 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

You completely misunderstood me. I didn't say we all need to be autistic to reach this potential. I brought up the autistic savants because they exhibit abilities that others with normally developed minds don't have. This shows that our minds have abilities that aren't reached when our brains develop normally, but are still theoretically reachable. The goal would to have a functioning human who can have savant abilities without being autistic or otherwise mentally disabled.

--------------------

OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
    #11239260 - 10/13/09 02:35 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

AngryPhil said:
The potential of the human brain has been significantly reduced by natural selection. Being able to use the full ability of our minds is not beneficial for survival and reproduction. Think about the autistic savants who are able to process complex numbers and equations in their heads, or who can draw images with amazing accuracy after seeing them only once. It's not that the autism has given them special abilities, but instead it has repressed what inhibits these abilities in all of us. If we don't destroy ourselves before we get a chance, we'll some day find a way to unlock this potential and enter a new era of human existence. Our thoughts and conscious will coincide with the natural order of the universe instead of with concern for our own survival.

While I don't agree that an example of autism would be a good comparison of what we are 'capable' of- as I agree with dragonchaser that it is more of a handicap--I do agree with your general point.

Society is built, that any average citizen can float through life without intelligence/strategics. In our model of life, there is no survival need for intelligence, in fact lower socio-economic classes reproduce at a much larger rate than higher socio-economic groups, clearly meaning that society is only getting dumber and dumber and dumber.

--------------------

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#11239281 - 10/13/09 02:39 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Okay, now that I see your point better I understand and agree-  the human brain clearly is capable of astounding feats.

It sucks that the system is designed to cater to sub-adequacy.

I know a kid who's dad is a mathematician.  I don't think the kid was born a genius, but his dad pushed math on him from the time he was young.  He had taught him multivariable calculus by the time he was 9, and the kid was accepted into a doctorate program at 12, although his dad wouldn't let him go.  He went on to quadruple major, finished college at 17, and is now going to MIT.

Whereas, in most schools at 9 you're working on long division.

The system fails.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
    #11239296 - 10/13/09 02:41 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

The system does fail:

Current attitude among many students: "C's for Degrees"

--------------------

OfflineAngryPhil
Herenow

#11239357 - 10/13/09 02:52 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

I think it's not so much the students, but the parents. Ignorant parents raise ignorant kids. And this is a cycle that needs to stop if we're going to get anywhere.

--------------------

OfflineNortonStPhallus
Male

#11239394 - 10/13/09 02:59 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

AngryPhil said:
You completely misunderstood me. I didn't say we all need to be autistic to reach this potential. I brought up the autistic savants because they exhibit abilities that others with normally developed minds don't have. This shows that our minds have abilities that aren't reached when our brains develop normally, but are still theoretically reachable. The goal would to have a functioning human who can have savant abilities without being autistic or otherwise mentally disabled.

I dont think this is possible without some actual evolutionary or technological advance which increases brain power, the reason autistic people can have such incredible abilities is because they invest a huge proportion of their grey matter into one particular area, leaving them poorly rounded intellectually.

Im not certain about this, but from my experience people's intellectual capacity does not vary as widely as some would have you believe. I think that most people have the capacity to be excellent, provided they invest their time and interest in a certain area, however doing so will lead to a drop off in other areas, this is something I have experienced first hand.

--------------------
:eatingout:

Invisiblesubject
eat the sun
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Humboldt
    #11239398 - 10/13/09 03:00 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

i wonder what an ant's brain looks like. we might think that they are not advanced but I would argue otherwise. they out number us vastly; There are more than 9,000 species of ants in the world. Scientists estimate that there are one quadrillion (1,000,000,000,000,000) ants living on the earth at any given time. some may argue that ants aren't conscious, but I certainly think they are.

and what about other things that are even tinier? like waterbears, who have a multilobed brain...

you could fit so many fucking water bear brains inside of our brain.

--------------------
nappy then, nappy now, nappy for a bit
knee deep head over heals in this country shit

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: The Potential of the Human Brain [Re: subject]
    #11239408 - 10/13/09 03:02 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Why does it matter how many brains are around? What does that prove?

--------------------

OfflineNortonStPhallus
Male

Re: The Potential of the Human Brain [Re: NortonStPhallus]
    #11239419 - 10/13/09 03:04 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

The system fails because it does not harness the individual student's different interests, as a result of this many student s are jaded because 90 percent of what they are studying does not interest them at all.

--------------------

OfflineNortonStPhallus
Male

#11239443 - 10/13/09 03:08 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

I would not say ants are not Advanced, however they are not Complex.

--------------------

Invisiblesubject
eat the sun
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Humboldt
Re: The Potential of the Human Brain [Re: NortonStPhallus]
    #11239476 - 10/13/09 03:15 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

NortonStPhallus said:
I would not say ants are not Advanced, however they are not Complex.

how do you know this? what defines complex? everything is relative.we are not completely sure about how their anatomy works, it appears alien to us and we deem it uncomplicated simply because its small.

--------------------
nappy then, nappy now, nappy for a bit
knee deep head over heals in this country shit

OfflineNortonStPhallus
Male

#11239506 - 10/13/09 03:22 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Through evolution simple organisms become more complex, I don't mean that as a good or a bad thing, I just mean that a single cell organism is less complex than a whale because the whale has a more complex sequence of DNA in each of its cells.

Edit: I unintentionally implied that complexity was the goal of evolution, rather than just a byproduct.

--------------------

Edited by NortonStPhallus (10/13/09 03:27 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub