Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineliterate_ape
Stranger
 User Gallery

SW PA Hunt, Confirm my beginner ID's please?
    #11238862 - 10/13/09 11:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This is only my second mushroom hunt in Southwest PA, and it's the first time I've tried to identify everything I collected, but I think I've done an OK job with picking some of these out.  I'd really appreciate some confirmations on my ID's from a TI or from anybody who wants to have a go at them.  These were some of the easier ones to identify out of what I collected.  I'll be posting the second half with the harder-to-ID mushrooms in a few days.  All of these are from deciduous forest that ranges from slightly damp hillsides to somewhat soggy valley floor, except for the first three that are from shaded suburban mulch beds.  I generally only picked one specimen of any particular species, and avoided picking mushrooms that I only saw one of (with the exception of letter I.). I'm using North American Mushrooms: A Field Guide to Edible and Inedible Fungi (Falconguide) by Dr. Orson and Hope Miller to find my ID's.  It starts with spore print color as the first identification criteria.  I can post pictures of any spore prints if anybody would like to see them.  My apologies for the blown focus on some of these; manual focus + low light + open aperture = short depth of field.

1. Geastrum triplex (97% sure, didn't collect spores)
These things are all over the damn place and have been here for most of the summer / fall.  I wish I had something edible that was this proliferous.

2. Tubaria heimalis (85% certain, rusty orange spore print)
These just popped up with the cold weather a week or so ago.

3. Psathyrella velutina (50% reasonable guess, spore print black, maybe brown black?)
I've made my best guess on this one.  A little help please?

C. Russula fragilis (93% sure, spore print creamy white)

E. Polyporus badius (65% certain, more of a best guess - spore deposit white)
None of the pictures I've seen have the same degree darkening of the top dimple, but all of the other characteristics seem to match up (growing on dead wood, black woody stipe, etc)

G. Pholiota squarrosa (50% reasonable guess, spore print between cinnamon and chocolate milk)

K. Stropharia thrausta (85% certain, spore print purple-black)
I really like the combination of bright orange cap and deep purple black spores.

R. I really have no idea what this one is.  I can't find anything in the book that matches it, and it didn't drop any spores.  Smells very strong, but hard to describe.  Buttery maybe?  Any pointers?

(No letter). Scleroderma citrinum (97% sure, no spore collection)

And now the exciting ones (if they are what I think they are):

I. Clitocybe nuda (93% sure, spore print pale pink)
This was growing by itself and was the only one we saw on our walk. I'm pretty sure I got the ID correct, so I have the stem butt resting in some soaked corrugated cardboard (per Mycelium Running) to try to regenerate some mycelial growth. If somebody can confirm my ID, I'm definitely going to try to make a liquid culture from the spore print and cultivate some.

N. Toss-up between Pluteus salicinus and Pluteus petasatus (spore print dusky pink or mauve)
Had a rough time identifying this one; my book's section on Pluteus is a little sparse.  Obviously I want it to be P. salicinus, but I'd just be happy to lock down an ID.

I'd really appreciate some ID confirmations since I've never really done this before!  Thanks for looking!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Trusted Identifier
Re: SW PA Hunt, Confirm my beginner ID's please? [Re: literate_ape]
    #11238887 - 10/13/09 11:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

K = Leratiomyces ceres
R = looks like Lactarius pubescens
N = Inocybe sp
the rest of your ID's look cherry

Offlinequadracer
Porcini Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
Re: SW PA Hunt, Confirm my beginner ID's please? [Re: cyanophilus]
    #11238946 - 10/13/09 11:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nice finds.  I am going to be trying the same thing with Blewits this year, hopefully they will overtake my compost piles :laugh:

This guy has some videos on outdoor blewit growing too, check it out.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11239020 - 10/13/09 11:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

N is a Nolanea.

The rest look good.

You L. nuda looks like a Cortinarius due to rust colored stains on the base of the stem, but if the print color you gave is correct than its not.

OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

Re: SW PA Hunt, Confirm my beginner ID's please? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11240979 - 10/13/09 05:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

C is not R. fragilis. It could be something like Russula pseudolepida but need a whole lot more info about it to be sure.
G is probably Pholiota squarrosoides
R is Entoloma abortivum
I agree with Alan that N is a Nolanea and your nuda is a nuda

InvisibleDannyGlick

#11241083 - 10/13/09 05:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

K would be Leratiomyces squamosus var. thraustus.

InvisibleDannyGlick

#11241119 - 10/13/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

R would prolly be Entoloma abortivum in its aborted get-up. **Aw shit biteme already got it.

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Trusted Identifier
Re: SW PA Hunt, Confirm my beginner ID's please? [Re: DannyGlick]
    #11241155 - 10/13/09 06:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DannyGlick said:
K would be Leratiomyces squamosus var. thraustus.

what makes you say this over L.ceres?

InvisibleDannyGlick

Re: SW PA Hunt, Confirm my beginner ID's please? [Re: cyanophilus]
    #11241231 - 10/13/09 06:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

For one, Leratiomyces ceres to my knowledge does not occur in PA.

Another would be they look totally different.

One more ought be the general habitat.

Lastly I see these bastards every blessed year in mixed conifer and hardwood forest near creeks and rivers in the fall.

There is a variant here that lacks an annulus which I took a bunch of prints from recently.

Offlineliterate_ape
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: SW PA Hunt, Confirm my beginner ID's please? [Re: quadracer]
    #11244431 - 10/14/09 07:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

quadracer said:
Nice finds.  I am going to be trying the same thing with Blewits this year, hopefully they will overtake my compost piles :laugh:

This guy has some videos on outdoor blewit growing too, check it out.

Whoa.  Turned the stem butts into a slurry in the food processor and froze the slurry.  Science is fucking. awesome.

Thanks for all the ID help.  I was pretty divided on G between P. squarrosoides and P. squarrosa without any significant factor pushing me one way or the other.

I'll double check the Russula's spore print; I assume my "creamy white" is actually R. pseudolepida's pale yellow instead of P. fragilis's white?

I may try to pick up another book sometime this weekend before I try to identify the rest so that I'm not relying on only one identification process.  Most of the rest have white or cream colored spores and I think they're going to be harder to pick out.

OfflineMorican
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11244476 - 10/14/09 07:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Very nice finds and pretty good pics literate_ape and great job on the trying to ID your self. What reference book or field guide are you using? It would probably be different for me since I'm in Northern Cali. but just curious as to where you obtained your knowledge.

Offlineliterate_ape
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: SW PA Hunt, Confirm my beginner ID's please? [Re: Morican]
    #11244576 - 10/14/09 08:18 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Morican said:
Very nice finds and pretty good pics literate_ape and great job on the trying to ID your self. What reference book or field guide are you using? It would probably be different for me since I'm in Northern Cali. but just curious as to where you obtained your knowledge.

This one.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies