Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDuckManParkey
Stranger

Help iron out final choices before first grow!
    #11238513 - 10/13/09 10:00 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hey all, I have been reading searching and reading some more over the past month or so. I have a strong grasp on the entire process and have a few questions before I do my first grow.

Currently I have a good amount of money into the grow so far around 175-200 on supplies and such. My questions are, I bought the supplies for a PiP or whatever the abbreviation for it is as I am still learning all those, but it's the FC that uses the air stones under the hydroton. I spent about $45 on the air stones air pump tote and i still have to buy my hydroton since I cannot find it anywhere local it's gonna run me around 25+10 shipping for a 10lb bag... Would I be better off doing a mono tub with a coir base? Was planning on the pf tek but the monotub seems so cheap and set it and forget it. I have an understanding on both grow types so it's not an issue of me not doing it properly.

With the extra money I would be able to get a bigger pressure cooker, I purchased an 8qt but it isn't that nice and cost $40 at wally world. If I went monotub I could get a bigger 12qt-23qt pressure cooker with the extra money saved by going mono tub.

Also I plan on staying with this hobby for a while and have read the pf tek pretty much gets dropped very quick. So is it wasted money since I plan on doing many different grows of different strains?

I will be starting my karo LC tomorrow after work and just wondering if it's worth it to rethink my grown before I get to the point that I am ready to innoc my jars.

Also so far I have 12 regular mouth 1/2 pint jars, 12 1/2 pint wide mouth. For monotubs I would need quart jars correct? Also anyone have a link to a preferred coir monotub grow tek? I have read through so many tek's recently not sure which to use. The search on this site is so good I search for something and end up reading for like an hour just on that search.

Any way I am posting from my phone so this may seem long yada yada. But any guidance is really appreciated. And I will start a grow log once I start my process tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUnparalized
Young Cardinal
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Help iron out final choices before first grow! [Re: DuckManParkey]
    #11238556 - 10/13/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I would only use quart jars if you plan on placing in individual containers and casing them... 1/2 pint jars are nice cause they colonize in 1/2 the time.  Just a lil hint, make a 2% honey water solution with a lil noc squirt in a 1/2 jar and let that be your noc medium.  Its many days faster if you use that over spores in water.  If you plan on just using cakes, till you get the hang of it all(the hardest part is the waiting game the first times) i would suggest pocketing the extra money and watch some of RR's vids on bulk medium, for i think that whay your wanting to do with the bigger cooker? right?

--------------------
This Is All Just An Echo Of What Has All Ready Happened!

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11238558 - 10/13/09 10:11 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Don't know why you would need quart jars for a monotub grow.

PF Tek is usually recommended for noobs because of it's simplicity. It's easy to see how the mycelium to fruit-body process works with relatively little work.

I have never grown from cakes. I started with bulk substrate grows and I like them. Although, I failed my first five attempts at producing fruits. Luckily, I'm stubborn.

The main suggestion that I have, is that you make sure to keep a journal of your grows. Make sure that you are aware of at what point you erred. In this way you will keep getting closer to achieving your goals.

If I didn't realize what my screw-up was each time I failed, I might well have just given up. :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Help iron out final choices before first grow! [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11238585 - 10/13/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You'll want a little PC later, even if you get the big one. So you might as well start with that one.

Cakes are useful for a lot of things, I wish I was better at them. Whether or not you start with cakes, or go right to bulk, it's worthwhile to learn to do them.
But coir is great! Start with grains, rye or wbs, spawn to  coir with other ingredients, and then enjoy some mushrooms.

Edit- as far as a tek, click the Mini Mono Tub link in my sig block. 12 half pints would be a good amount of spawn for that.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineDuckManParkey
Stranger

Re: Help iron out final choices before first grow! [Re: Doc_T]
    #11238661 - 10/13/09 10:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah maybe your right, money isn't an issue I just don't like wasting money on stuff that I won't use at a later date. If I go with monotub im gonna WBS innoc, spawn into a coir mixture. Is the mini mono tub is just a smaller tub? Size is no issue my closet I am growing in is an 8 foot wide 2 and a half foot deep closet. So I am willing to get larger jars as said.

Maybe I will try the mini monotub and a pf tek grow at the same time. And see how they both do. This would also allow me to do 2 of my strains I received. I have syringes of B+, PR, EQ. they look nice and plentiful got them from sporeworks. I am gonna make my lid for my LC tonight. Gonna use the self healing innoc point. I have plenty of micropore tape so I can use that as a cover for a breather port to stop contam right?

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11238859 - 10/13/09 11:22 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

It's a mid-size tub, a brick of coir makes enough substrate for two.
Lots of people use micropore tape, I don't use it other than with cakes. Grain jars, I use polyfil filters.
Use the jars you have, but there's no reason not to buy more also. But your PC probably will do only one quart jar sideways, right? What about pints? Tall enough for pints?

--------------------

OfflineDuckManParkey
Stranger

Re: Help iron out final choices before first grow! [Re: Doc_T]
    #11241168 - 10/13/09 06:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ok sounds good, should coir be available at lowes and such? Also, my pressure cooker is at my other place so I will have to measure it up. I have not used it yet so I can return it and get a bigger one if needed. I am thinking a bigger will be needed any way for doing the WBS and such.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11241197 - 10/13/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

coir can be found at pet shops, as for taking back the PC if you have a receipt im sure its no prob depends on the store really

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help iron out final choices before first grow! [Re: Shea25]
    #11241291 - 10/13/09 06:19 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Your local garden center probably has coir too. And wait and see on the PC. You'll want a 23 quart eventually, but if this will do pints, it's ok for now. Four pints is a good pit of spawn.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract