Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekablamo
the Brave

Loc: Japan
Love
    #11237832 - 10/13/09 07:24 AM (8 years, 11 days ago)

I think this belongs on the philosophy forum.

Any and all philosophies are the babbling of primates in their made up languages. They think they are talking about something real. 

Please, everybody, don't forget this.  I think this is the deepest and most important lesson that the psychedelic experience teaches.

Nothing you can do that can't be done

This doesn't mean that "anything is possible" as a lot of people interpret it. To me it means,
there's no accomplishment that you can make that someone else can't come along and do it too, in other words, your accomplishments don't make you special.  All you need is love.

To me love can be defined as the state of the mind in which no resistance or defense is present.  In other words, a love relationship is that in which you can absolutely be yourself and no bullshit or defensive walls or anything of that nature is placed between yourself and the object.

However you define it, it's the most important whatever-it-is that there is.  Don't forget!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAhimsa
Male

Re: Love [Re: kablamo]
    #11237863 - 10/13/09 07:40 AM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Yes!! :sun: Why couldn't you or i or anyone do what can be done?

Love is healing while hate is destructive.
Love is learning what it means to feel while hate is the result of not understood feelings.
If we truly learned from our feelings we wouldn't have to hurt ourself, we could change ourself.

Thanks man, as you may have noticed i'm working on some basic psy study about learning to love instead of being in control. :lighter:

OfflineXeny

Loc: Berchem Flag
Re: Love [Re: Ahimsa]
    #11239382 - 10/13/09 02:56 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

hate is about hate and discontent
love is about love and sex

--------------------
Ik hou van je

While you're still sleeping the saints are still weepin' cause things you call dead haven't yet had the chance to be born. -Scatman John

OfflineTropism
ChasingTail

Re: Love [Re: Xeny]
    #11240382 - 10/13/09 05:45 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Can you hate without love?

Offlinekablamo
the Brave

Re: Love [Re: Tropism]
    #11240470 - 10/13/09 06:05 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Tropism said:
Can you hate without love?

I suppose you could hate without love, but you can't hate without having been loved by others. Yin and Yang and all that.

OfflineXeny

Loc: Berchem Flag
    #11244375 - 10/14/09 08:50 AM (8 years, 10 days ago)

who doesn't love the self?  :cuddles:

--------------------
Ik hou van je

While you're still sleeping the saints are still weepin' cause things you call dead haven't yet had the chance to be born. -Scatman John

OfflineShroomScape
Sexplorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation
Re: Love [Re: Xeny]
    #11244892 - 10/14/09 11:44 AM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Strict dichotomies bug me. Yes, love is important but it surely isn't the only driving force in reality. Just take a look around--there's plenty in the world that isn't motivated by love or that embodies love. I feel that the interplay between opposites is what makes life truly worth living. We live in the space that arises out of paradox.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Columbus OH Flag
Re: Love [Re: ShroomScape]
    #11244926 - 10/14/09 11:55 AM (8 years, 10 days ago)

I know some people that can get love to translate into words.

Heroin.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Love [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #11245661 - 10/14/09 02:20 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Just imagine existing alone.. the ultimate agony.

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
    #11245839 - 10/14/09 02:50 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

kablamo said:
I think this belongs on the philosophy forum.

Any and all philosophies are the babbling of primates in their made up languages. They think they are talking about something real. 

Please, everybody, don't forget this.  I think this is the deepest and most important lesson that the psychedelic experience teaches.

Nothing you can do that can't be done

This doesn't mean that "anything is possible" as a lot of people interpret it. To me it means,
there's no accomplishment that you can make that someone else can't come along and do it too, in other words, your accomplishments don't make you special.  All you need is love.

To me love can be defined as the state of the mind in which no resistance or defense is present.  In other words, a love relationship is that in which you can absolutely be yourself and no bullshit or defensive walls or anything of that nature is placed between yourself and the object.

However you define it, it's the most important whatever-it-is that there is.  Don't forget!!!

How are we able to babble about this truth in our primate language?

Offlinekablamo
the Brave

Re: Love [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11246821 - 10/14/09 05:28 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

How are we able to babble about this truth in our primate language?

It really is amazing that we can say anything at all, maybe "made-up primate language" sounds a bit harsh, and while our system of abstractions allows us to do most of what we do, we can never describe anything completely accurately because everything gets divided into classes. Language puts a grid over reality which makes things easier to swallow. This is why philosophers have been arguing over the same questions for 5,000+ years and still nobody agrees on an answer.  In fact, the closest thing to a right answer that I have seen is statements of the futility of language like "The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao" or, if you're talkin' about it, it ain't it!"
This is also the cause of racism and bigotry and every form of prejudice. I suppose it's easy to understand how and if someone likes we can talk about that more later.

Quote:

Strict dichotomies bug me. Yes, love is important but it surely isn't the only driving force in reality. Just take a look around--there's plenty in the world that isn't motivated by love or that embodies love. I feel that the interplay between opposites is what makes life truly worth living. We live in the space that arises out of paradox.

Well absolutely, I'm not saying "All there is is love", I'm saying "All you NEED is love!"  I think the point is that people go around striving for all of these silly treasures when the greatest treasure of all goes ignored.
Also, I think it could be argued that all of the survival necessities grow out of love.
Respect for other people is a product of love, hard work to see your family taken care of is a product of love, community, etc.

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
    #11251144 - 10/15/09 07:20 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

kablamo said:
...This is why philosophers have been arguing over the same questions for 5,000+ years and still nobody agrees on an answer.  In fact, the closest thing to a right answer that I have seen is statements of the futility of language like "The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao" or, if you're talkin' about it, it ain't it!"

Perhaps, but only in relation to questions that have the same logical structure as then, and which are semantic problems. Much of what philosophy repeats are "eternal" truths, things that must be restated and reinstated for each time and place.

There are many other things philosophy has done. For instance, it has answered certain questions, in the sense neuroscience has answered questions about the brain: by seeing what does not work and what malfunctions. When something goes wrong we can see what (mal)functions and perhaps figure out why. Also philosophy in many pursuits does not set out to find answers as epistemological sciences do. Instead it sets out to understand (philosophy's often more phronetic and hermeneutical than epistemological).

Quote:

kablamo said:
Well absolutely, I'm not saying "All there is is love", I'm saying "All you NEED is love!"  I think the point is that people go around striving for all of these silly treasures when the greatest treasure of all goes ignored.
Also, I think it could be argued that all of the survival necessities grow out of love.
Respect for other people is a product of love, hard work to see your family taken care of is a product of love, community, etc.

How do you know it is the greatest treasure of each and all? Why moralize about love? Why mass-produce it and preach to everyone? If it truly is a treasure, allow each to seek and find, thus giving it its wealthiest value, instead of devaluing it by handing it out to all who have not sought nor earned it. There is no X marks the spot for love.

Edited by Lakefingers (10/15/09 08:40 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology