Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
All Dreams Promote Spiritual Growth
    #11236491 - 10/13/09 12:08 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

This is an interesting idea in a book I'm reading called "Where People Fly and Water Runs Uphill"

If I understand the author correctly the premise is basically this:

All dreams have many layers of meaning. There is no "objective" meaning to dreams. However, there are mythological meanings (dreams which contain mythical archetypes of past civilizations), social commentary (what are the norms and rules of society), global meanings (symbols and images that when unpacked can give us solutions to global problems) etc

One of the most fascinating layers of meaning is the layer in every dream which is basically a medical report on your physical body. In every dream there is a subtle message, if it can be grasped through the symbolic imagery, that signifies how your health is doing. This is usually far in the background but it is brought to the forefront in emergencies.

The author, Jeremy Taylor, has discovered that having dream groups is the best way to have insight into one's life by hearing the opinion of others, "as if I was having this dream, I would think it meant...". Of course, others' opinions are only projections and say more about themselves than the dreamer, but since dreaming is made up of collective and universal symbols, the ideas presented by others will often trigger an "aha" realization from the dreamer.

Even the smallest fragment of a dream, like a sound or a feeling, can be an opening to all kinds of realizations about one's life, solutions to current issues in the dreamers life. Nightmares, are the best kind of dream, because they are the best at bringing something important from the unconscious to the conscious attention of the dreamer.

That's what all dreams are - they are messages from our unconscious, or Self, that if we use our imagination and creativity in interpreting, guide us along in our evolution. Most of the greatest inventors and thinkers came up with their idea or invention from a dream, to solve a major technological or philosophical problem of the time.

After reading this book, I've started to view art differently. I always looked for the objective meaning in art, and when there was none, I asked myself what it meant, and immediately thought "it means nothing. It's just a peice of art". This is just how people view dreams. "It means nothing. It's just a dream"

With this new way of approaching imagery and symbols, I look at art now and I make huge leaps of association. I was watching a short video clip called "Memories":

Everyone seems to be asking "What is this video suppose to mean? What's the imagery mean?"
The video's meaning is whatever you make it to be

I found meaning in the image of the umbrella, and the idea of memories, made me think of the old movie Marry Poppins
When the Robot extends his finger I think of E.T the extra terrestrial
The Lone flower made me think of the flower in the case in Beauty and the Beast

This goes to show how much pop culture and movies occupies my mind. It probably also means that I find watching movies to be a very meaningful act, and important.

The butterfly made me think of the mystical teaching: "am i in my bed dreaming i am a butterfly or am i the butterfly dreaming i am in bed?" which is like a reminder to remember to be self-aware

Has anyone else read material on symbols and archetypes and found their thinking transformed?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

Re: All Dreams Promote Spiritual Growth [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11238107 - 10/13/09 09:37 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I will only comment on the video.

A Robot(Machine) walks with an umbrella. Cautious. Glares at the airplane(machine) flying away.
A young girl with colorful hair and a white aura around her, extends her hand towards the robot giving him a butterfly. ( a creature that morphs into a being of flight )
Flight (freedom)
The weather momentarily stabilizes.
The girl is now gone.
The weather is back to terrible.
The Robot(machine) releases the butterfly.
The Robot(machine) plays the piano , which is an act of creativity with a flower on it , which is a symbol of creation , growth , beauty.

To me , machines have always represented repetition and the absence of creativity.
It seems that this one was altered by a little, colorful girl that was willing to share the message of freedom through compassion.

My thinking has definitely been transformed , but not by reading about symbols and archetypes.

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

Invisibleexplosiveoxygen
Prophet of TGMM

Re: All Dreams Promote Spiritual Growth [Re: jivJaN]
    #11239753 - 10/13/09 04:10 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

This video means several things but to discuss them all would make this a threadnought. The most important part is that machines deserve rights as well.:slaves:

--------------------
The Great Mycelium (TGMM) is more than you and me, we are all part of One.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology