Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy?
    #11236341 - 10/12/09 09:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

what if i have no condensation on my fruiting chamber walls? my petco hygrometer says its 95%. (its off by 20%. i did the wet towel calibration, and it goes up to 75%...)

if i tape the hygrometer to the side of the tub in the top middle of the back wall, it eventually falls off onto the screen below. so its definitely humid...

here are some pics of my FC. it feels humid, theres just no condensation building on the walls, is that ok?!

i have most of the holes covered up on one, and none covered up on the other. theyre both about the same level of humiditiy.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #11236417 - 10/12/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The lack of condensation is not an indicator of relative humidity, high or low.

The presence of condensation is a decent indicator that relative humidity is high.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Offlinecne9999
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Sol system
Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #11236428 - 10/12/09 09:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No, but once you are familiar with your environment temperature, and a few other things no matter what anyone tells you you can guess the RH close enough for this hobby.

See this, and Sorry RR but you didn't read my thread there very closely.  You are wrong. Very wrong.

--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny

AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: cne9999]
    #11236443 - 10/12/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Let's not get into this...

Your best bet is to calibrate a hygrometer and use it.

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: anonjon]
    #11236461 - 10/12/09 10:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anonjon said:
Let's not get into this...

Your best bet is to calibrate a hygrometer and use it.

like i said, i calibrated it.

and am in the middle of calibrating it again right now, using the towel method.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflinePilzeEssen

#11236490 - 10/12/09 10:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

so its probably just fine, because right now there are no cakes in the FC? once i put cakes in, there will be condensation building up on the walls?

or should i get another hygrometer and check its reading against the one i have now?

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11236620 - 10/12/09 10:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Are those bubble wands under water? You won't get above 95% with that, your hygrometer is probably right.
It'll work ok for cakes, but it's really not ideal.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11236709 - 10/12/09 10:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not experienced with pmp style fc's but I don't think they usually have that many holes in em.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11236854 - 10/12/09 11:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Holes are good, but there's no way to get enough humidity with an ordinary airpump using it like that. Ain't happening.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11236912 - 10/12/09 11:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hmm... any suggestions?

i mean, i put it in a wet towel for an hour, and it reads 75%. When its in the FC it reads that much too. :shrug:

how else should i do this? its a pmp minus the rocks. i dont see what the big deal is.

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humidity? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #11237107 - 10/13/09 12:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

standing water is a bad thing i would put perlite in the bottom 3-4 inches of that and you will have 100% humidity.Oh and about your condensation on the walls think of this......Lets say i am in the desert it is 110f and i grab an ice cold coke there is condensation on that but does that mean it is 100 or even 20% humidity outside? :wink:

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humidity? [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #11237142 - 10/13/09 12:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

lose the pump add perlite

--------------------
:shrug:

OfflineShout
Psy Trance Feign
Male

Loc: That one place
    #11237144 - 10/13/09 12:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

xaxphaanes said:
standing water is a bad thing i would put perlite in the bottom 3-4 inches of that and you will have 100% humidity.Oh and about your condensation on the walls think of this......Lets say i am in the desert it is 110f and i grab an ice cold coke there is condensation on that but does that mean it is 100 or even 20% humidity outside? :wink:

Adding Perlite to the water is gonna make for one hell of a clean up. Plus, don't the bubble wands keep the water from standing still?

Quote:

anonjon said:
I'm not experienced with pmp style fc's but I don't think they usually have that many holes in em.

I don't have holes on mine and I get condensation.

Just my experience.

--------------------
The messages and post submitted by this user are purely hypothetical and intended for educational/entertainment purposes only. This user also does not advocate any illegal activities.:bonghit:

Edited by Shout (10/13/09 12:21 AM)

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: Shout]
    #11237155 - 10/13/09 12:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well if adding perlite i would assume the standing water would be replaced with damp rinsed perlite :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: Shout]
    #11237159 - 10/13/09 12:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

look up shotgun terrarium it is basically the samething just without the water even though the water is moving it still can get bacteria in it and mess everything up.shotgun terrarium= holes everywhere bottom top sides etc well drained perlite is placed in the terrarium and will give you automated fae i still fan em out every day just as reassurance.the pic in my avatar was done with a shotgun style fc very good results for small-ish projects.

--------------------

Edited by xaxphaanes (10/13/09 12:23 AM)

OfflinePilzeEssen

#11237172 - 10/13/09 12:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well fuck. 30 bucks for 2 tubs plus 25 for the pump and 12 for the air rocks... so about 70 bucks wasted...

i guess ill get some perlite and a new tub... the perlite method will be fine for casings, right? just gotta drill holes on every side but the bottom, 3 inches apart and fill with 4 inches of wet perlite, and its just always a constant 100%?

i tried growing mushrooms a few years ago and fucked up. (on a couple things) i made a FC with perlite, and it didnt seem to stay at 100. i think it was more like 75-85%. then i went ahead and fucked up more cause i was stupid... this time i want to get it right. so if i wasted 70 bucks. fuck it. i just want mushrooms to grow!!!!

--------------------

OfflineShout
Psy Trance Feign
Male

Loc: That one place
Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humiditiy? [Re: nastos]
    #11237184 - 10/13/09 12:28 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, my dumb-ass mixed the two on my first grow. I had a bed of lava rocks with water to the top of them, followed by a bed of damp perlite. Man did the clean up suck. :lol: You live and you learn.

I really wenjoy the low maintenance of a PMP. Just add a little peroxide to the water.

--------------------
The messages and post submitted by this user are purely hypothetical and intended for educational/entertainment purposes only. This user also does not advocate any illegal activities.:bonghit:

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11237198 - 10/13/09 12:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PilzeEssen said:
well fuck. 30 bucks for 2 tubs plus 25 for the pump and 12 for the air rocks... so about 70 bucks wasted...

i guess ill get some perlite and a new tub... the perlite method will be fine for casings, right? just gotta drill holes on every side but the bottom, 3 inches apart and fill with 4 inches of wet perlite, and its just always a constant 100%?

i tried growing mushrooms a few years ago and fucked up. (on a couple things) i made a FC with perlite, and it didnt seem to stay at 100. i think it was more like 75-85%. then i went ahead and fucked up more cause i was stupid... this time i want to get it right. so if i wasted 70 bucks. fuck it. i just want mushrooms to grow!!!!

you dont have to get a new tub

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#11237200 - 10/13/09 12:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

try taking out the water putting drained perlite in it and keep the pump under the perlite it still would provide fae and so would the perlite.holes everywhere bottom too some perlite falls but really only like 4 little pebbles when first putting it in......possible put the pump on a timer too much fae and things dry out pretty quick.just dont go overboard with the hole making i did that 1 time and couldnt keep the humidity up.

--------------------

Edited by xaxphaanes (10/13/09 12:33 AM)

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: isn't condensation on wall of FC sign of perfect humidity? [Re: nastos]
    #11237218 - 10/13/09 12:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

drill holes in all sides and the bottom too

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder