Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinejelsert
Jelsert
Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization
    #1123624 - 12/09/02 02:18 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

For Everyone out there who has wanted to be able to steam pasturize compost/straw mixes with out all of the pain of going the stove top route, take comfort.  I have tried to build the harris pasturizer (composter) without success, in 2 cases with different humidifiers both of them were not strong enough to get the compost past 120 degrees.  So I have finally found the key,  this.
The Wagner Power Steamer 705, this baby is sweet.  She heats up the water tank (1 gallon) in about 20 mins, and the steam that starts to shoot out is strong.  In addition the hose that comes off is long and insulated to begin with, so no need to mess with that.  This thing will get your compost up to 160 in about 20 min. (after it starts steaming), no problem!
Here is what we did, feel free to use a larger container, it can handel it.

1.. Take a regular cooler with a drain spout.  Check first to see if the spout is theaded, if so see if you can screw the hose from the steamer right on, if there are no threads then take a pair of plyers and rip it off.

2.  Next take the hose and push it through the opening (if you can't screw it on) and put a nice bead of silicone sealant around the edge.

3.  Get some hardware cloth, basically a heavy duty metal mesh, and cut a piece that is exactly the length of the cooler, but longer than the width.  Now bend the longer sides over so that you have something that looks like a little table, make sure that the "legs" are even.

4.  Now if you have a staple gun, turn the table upside down and place it in the cooler so that the "top" is now faceing the bottom of the cooler.

5.  The two sides that were folded up along the sides of the cooler now need to be stapled down to the sides of the cooler.  This needs to be about four inches above the bottom of the cooler, so that the steam will be able to reach all edges of the compost.

6.  If you don't have a staple gun, just stand the table in there, it just wont be as nice,and you can use that to set the compost on.. Just make sure that there is room underneath.

7.  Done, not kidding thats it.  Put your compost in there and turn on the steamer.  One last thing, drill a hole or two in the top so that you will have some way for the air in the cooler to escape from the pressure of the steam.

You will need to watch the temp, with a meat thermometer and keep it between 140 and 160 for about 1 and 1/2 hours.  Just a warning, this will get the compost super hot fast so make sure that you check after about 20 mins of steam because most likely you will be at the temp needed, then just turn it off for a little while give it a few more mins later, and your golden.  If you wanted to you can add a dimmer switch with just a little simple wiring. 

Hope this helps!  BTW if you don't want to pay for shipping menards stocks this but for 50 bucks. :mad: Found out about the overstock price after I bought it.

Dave
PM if you have questions 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: jelsert]
    #1124369 - 12/09/02 11:21 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

:cool: 

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

OfflineComa of Souls
kunt whore

Loc: Vancouver island, British...
Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: comario2]
    #1124472 - 12/09/02 12:09 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

:cool:

Coma of Souls

--------------------
im a weeeeezel look at me *weeze* *weeze*

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1125121 - 12/09/02 03:58 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

You da man!!! (with apologies to Joshua)

Shit!! $35 for a Wagner steamer. It's gonna be hard to beat that!! Very nice.
I was wondering if you could connect a vented pipe to the threads on the steam hose. Know what I mean?? When you remove the steamer 'head' the hose end is threaded.

shrooms to you!

Offlinejelsert
Jelsert
Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1125173 - 12/09/02 04:17 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

A vented pipe? Do you mean something that you would run throught the container so that you would get even steam all the way through? Probably, like you said, the platic piece that is supposed to be used to steam the wall paper screws off and leaves the threaded end of the hose so all you need to do is match the theads with something else and you are set to go.

If you wanted to you could just go to a menard's or home depot and take one of these babies over to the PVC department and open it up and make whatever you need, then just put it back in the box and back the shelf and wait for yours to arrive from overstock.

I know that I am shamelessly promoting this steamer but I can't help it, because the hose that comes off of it is like 5 feet long. This means that you could have you steamer right next to the outlet and you cooler 5-6 ft. away if you needed! All with no loss of steam power!

What a great product!
Dave

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1125569 - 12/09/02 06:19 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. A pipe that would run the length of the bottom of the chamber,and dispurse steam evenlt thorughout the media.

Again- great find!! What was S&H cost?

Offlinecheifdog24
enthusiast

#1125909 - 12/09/02 07:53 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

After you are done steaming it, how wet is it and how long does it usually have to cool?

Offlinejelsert
Jelsert
Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: cheifdog24]
    #1128458 - 12/10/02 12:40 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

We let it cool overnight and which I think is the best way to do it, the screen that it sits on allows all of the excess water to drain off into the bottom of the cooler (uh!) and the compost that is left behind is like the perfect moisture level.

I did a batch the other night of compost and straw, it turned out really awsome, I'm not sure what the S&H cost is, but can't be too much!

Dave

Anonymous

#1130188 - 12/10/02 10:02 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Right now shipping is only $2.95 until the 13th. I'm seriously considering getting this, it would be so nice to not have to boil it.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1136358 - 12/12/02 06:56 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

Great man! Didn't we talk about this a little via PMs? (if not, I'm gonna have to figure out who that was and let them know about this, fuck!)

Anyway, also, this could be used to pastuerize plain dry straw. Just keep it in there for about 4 hours and you should have perfect moisture content. this should be in the faq.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleSumGuy
addict

#1140057 - 12/14/02 03:42 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

so all you have to do is attach a pipe to the end of the hose with holes drilled along it and put it along the bottom center of your chamber and it will steam evenly?

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1140686 - 12/14/02 11:28 AM (15 years, 17 hours ago)

did you put your compost into anything? Do you have to use a pillow case or just the hardware cloth. What size hardware cloth did you use?

Offlinebugabuga420
bUgAbUgaBOO

#1141387 - 12/14/02 04:57 PM (15 years, 11 hours ago)

OMG this is what I've been looking for and i didn't even know it. As soon as i get this my grow room will be completely self sufficient

Offlinejelsert
Jelsert
Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: SumGuy]
    #1144031 - 12/15/02 07:34 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well, you don't  have to put the tube with holes along the bottom of the chamber, but it might be a nice addition.  We just remad ours a few days ago and right now we just have a really nice silicone seal around the hose, where that drain plastice piece used to be. 

We ripped that thing out and the scraped out a little of the insulation (1/4 inch) around opening, then we filled in that 1/4inch space with silicone sealant.  Then we used the plastice ring from the drain that for some reason didn't get damaged that bad and pushed the hose through.  Next we lodged this ring into the opening, in kinda the same postion as it was before, and just filled in the space with more silicone, making sure to be really neat with it.  We let that sit over night.

For the screen, we just cut a piece that was little snug on the edges of the cooler, cut 4, 4inch pieces of pvc pipe (left over from some other project) and used them as "legs" to our screen "table".  The PVC is not nessecary but you do need to find a way to keep the screen elevated with out blocking the space underneath.  We decided not to go with the staples because after a few steams, the inslulation started to bubble out through the staple holes.  Plus one end of the staples gave out and fell to the bottom, resulting in a bunch of compost that was too wet because it didn't have that gap to drain.  But like I said anything will work, as long as you give it about a 4 inch gap underneath the screen.

We just tested this the other day and it works well set up this way, the only think to remember is that you need a hole, or two, in the top to let the steam out.  If it is totally sealed it, the steam doesn't flow through there very well.  It kinda just acts like a big ballon, except the cooler won't pop if it fills up too much, it will just stop work that well. 

As far as putting the compost in anything, we just put down a layer of straw over the screen, real thin-nothing major, so that the compost wouldn't fall through.  I don't know about the pillow case, might get in the way of checking the temp? I dunno....

Thanks
Dave

P.S.  We actuallly used duct tape the other day for its real purpose, taping together duct work!!! It was so amazing that both my buddy and I stopped and said something about it. LOL

:grin:   

Anonymous

#2078325 - 11/06/03 09:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

bump!

has anyone else tried this? it sounds pretty cool...

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: ]
    #2079896 - 11/07/03 06:15 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Really sounds good, you should write a tek with some pics and put it in the tek section.

--------------------
-> Errors Are A Great Source Of Knowledge <-
-> It Is Not Important WHO Is Right But WHAT Is Right <-

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
    #2395445 - 03/02/04 04:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Bringing up an old post.

I got sort of 'lost' in the visualization of this setup, so i whipped up a picture of what i thought it was.

Is the following picture what was described?

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: RuNE]
    #2395472 - 03/02/04 04:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yea thats it, except the hose comes out of the top of the steamer. Not the bottom. :thumbup:

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #2403275 - 03/04/04 05:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

And if you want to be that picky, it's in the middle of the top, not off to one side :wink:

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Quick and Easy Steam Pasturization [Re: mycofile]
    #2404547 - 03/04/04 11:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know, mine's off to one side, but I could have a different model. I do know one thing, this thing kicks ass :grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology