Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
agar / pc / 1/4pts??
    #11233947 - 10/12/09 05:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

so, i going to use some 1/4 pt mason jars for long term storage of some cultures on agar. i won't be putting holes in the lids to keep air out. i was thinking of pouring a 1/4" or so of the agar into each of the individual 1/4pt  jars and pc'ing them directly instead of making a single jar and pouring after pc'ing. this way i can sterilize the jars and agar all at once and not have to deal with pouring it in my little GB.

the only thing that concerns me is putting completely sealed jars in the pc. i can't find my booklet for the pc but it seems to me you would have completely sealed jars if your canning food, right? although these will have a lot more air than anything, so, idk.

am i just over-thinking this or am i risking blowing up jars?

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: agar / pc / 1/4pts?? [Re: artizen]
    #11233971 - 10/12/09 05:35 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

One comment I have is to simply repeat something I read by RR a while ago: the reason petri dishes (or jars) aren't normally used for long-term storage of cultures is that this format of storage container provides a large air-agar interface which will result in the agar and culture drying out faster. In other words, there's too much surface area.

Tubes, on the other hand, have a small air-agar interface, which is why they are the standard for long-term culture storage.

Having said that, Good luck!

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: agar / pc / 1/4pts?? [Re: freespeech]
    #11234087 - 10/12/09 05:58 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, he actually just explained that to me a week ago, but i'm not buying test tubes just yet and i've got some pics from people in the same thread that had success doing this for 3-4 mos (so far ) . i don't really have any proven isolates, just the last culture of a strain i like. also i'm not looking to keep it for years or anything, just untill ( if ) i get set up a little better ( equip, work space ).

the only thing i'm asking about here is the safty issues of the sealed jars in the PC.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#11234125 - 10/12/09 06:07 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yeah, I had the same question myself once, and like you, I had trouble finding the answer. I thought the same thing - canning food involves putting completely sealed jars in the PC.

I have successfully PC'd sealed jars of water. I think you'll be fine - except keep in mind that the sealed lids may become very difficult to remove.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: agar / pc / 1/4pts?? [Re: freespeech]
    #11234130 - 10/12/09 06:08 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I think you'll be fine. Do a test jar - worst case, you lose one jar :smile:

OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

#11234143 - 10/12/09 06:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

just screw on the lids loose like anything else with foil over them. then when the pc has cooled for a couple hours (overnight) take them out and tighten them down untill you use them.

i tried out small jars for petri dishes.... really they suck. its hard to work in them, they dry out fast, its hard to check for growth/contamination, no gas exchange and more. i love bd flacon tubes, cant beat them for storage. just dont pc them.

give it a try if you want but dont tighten the lid all the way down. i see no reason to want to do this. others will disagree with me but, i like using agar with a low h202 content to stop anything else from contaminatting them

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation