Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledoorfinger
tetris lego
Loc: outside
weilii substrate: a parasitic fungus?
    #11233643 - 10/12/09 04:43 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

a recent patch that i visited is filled with weak and dying pine trees. also, upon searching for the substrate on which weilii grow, i came to inconclusive results. upon scouring the forums, i only found partially successful grows and, after a moment of contemplation on the matter, settled on a new hypothesis for the preferred growing medium for weilii. i came to this fact through several observations:
first, a direct observation of their preferred habitats. pine forests with dead and dying pine trees.
second, a direct observation of a lack of any sort of dead substrate material when digging under a patch. especially of dead wood and lack of fruits where other wood loving fungi thrive, like wood chips.
third, a direct observation of weilii growing in clusters or individually from wildy varied locations within a patch of them.
fourth,
fourth, a direct observation on the relative age of the woodland habitat suitable for weilii growth.
fifth, the relative absence of truly successful growth from a single specific growing medium. generally successful grows seem to done taking a shotgun approach and unsuccessful grows tend to not be posted. the relative rarity of outdoor fruits demonstrates the lack of knowledge in the actual substrate used by the fungi.
finally, the observation that led me to this conclusion: while carefully digging under a woodland weilii to find the medium of choice, i made a discovery. at first, as anyone who tried to find the growth medium for weilii knows, 99% of the time, it would appear that the fungi fruits spontaneously from red clay with very little mycelium and seemingly no substrate, but, upon further investigation of the site, it appears that under every patch, there are small roots close to the surface. also, under an exceptionally large patch, there were roots from 3 sweetgum and 2 pines converging at the one point. these trees are approximately 6 years old (area was bulldozed 6-7 years back), and perhaps, 20 feet tall. often, with cubensis, there will be a massive network of mycelium within the dung patty itself and that only produces a handful of fruits. with the weilii, there was very little mycelium at all and it fruits abundantly. obviously, i wouldn't be able to dig up someone's yard in order to make observations on lawn weilii, but, i feel that the prefered substrate is the roots of sweet resin producing trees judging by the relative rarity of large patches in lawns. sometimes i will find fruits where there are no obvious roots and this punches holes in my hypothesis, but perhaps, it can also parasitize other roots as well or obtain nutrients from buried logs. pine and sweetgum saps are both sweet with sugar which leads me to this hypothesis. also, the fact that they are abundantly found around dead and dying pines and the fact that a majority of the pines are infected with a "blue fungus" after pine beetle attacks is very thought provoking.

i've already read the post with the weilii growing from the pinecone, but, if anyone has any other observations about this species to add, please let me know. i plan on doing a controlled experiment where i will inoculate a known non producing patch of pines with weilii spores. both the root system in a few trees as well as boring holes and inoculating inside the holes to replicate pine beetle infestation. this experiment will probably take a couple years to run its course. i need help designing the experiment and control and would also like to attempt to enlist the help and participation of other members in order to learn more about this particular species and eliminate any local variables by spreading the experiment throughout the growing range.

thank you.

--------------------
singing tesla coils.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledoorfinger
tetris lego
Re: weilii substrate: a parasitic fungus? [Re: doorfinger]
    #11236733 - 10/13/09 12:46 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

oh, prints will be made available to the first three people who have posted novel growing techniques and who show a serious interest in learning more about this fungus. or anyone with a trusted cultivator tag. the only stipulation is that half print must be used in accordance with the experimental guidelines. the other half can be used as pleased.

these prints were collected from wild specimens and must be treated as contaminated with the unknown. this will probably require lengthy agar work so please be prepared.

prints will be available only to people from legal states.

--------------------
singing tesla coils.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: weilii substrate: a parasitic fungus? [Re: doorfinger]
    #11239093 - 10/13/09 02:05 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

I would like to try this tek on an indoor cultivation try using pine chips and other pine tree byproducts.:stoned:

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: weilii substrate: a parasitic fungus? [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11240399 - 10/13/09 05:51 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Agar work does not scare me. I just ordered some yesterday.

--------------------
]

Invisibledoorfinger
tetris lego
Re: weilii substrate: a parasitic fungus? [Re: Ieponumos]
    #11246310 - 10/14/09 04:12 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

well the pine chip idea sounds good and i wouldn't mind that as being part of the experiment, perhaps as a control? but i want to try and prove my parasite theory as well.

--------------------
singing tesla coils.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation