Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Parafilm, Petri Dish, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFoundas
Stranger
Preparation of room. Any thoughts?
    #11232189 - 10/12/09 12:16 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Hi guys,

i got all my supplies from different vendors (petri dishes, agar, straw, sawdust/woodchips, spawn bags, pressure cooker, test tubes and 6 different species of gourmet mushrooms) and im ready to start growing and isolating cultures on petri dishes.

My plan is to cultivate different species at home and aim the local market where i can give them samples and hopefully be able to provide a constant supply. I have a spare room and i need your expert advice to make the best of the available space. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When the work is done to get mono-cultures on petri dishes and thus, master culture slants in order to keep the best fruiting mycelium how should i organise the room to keep humidity levels up and temperature as well?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparation of room. Any thoughts? [Re: Foundas]
    #11232304 - 10/12/09 12:43 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

You're going to want to separate into a few rooms, or at the very least, build a mini-greenhouse.  You don't want to keep mushroom-growing humidity levels in your house or the walls will mold.  It's easy to start out in one room, but by the time you've gained the experience to grow commercially, you'll have divided into a few rooms at least. 

Do you have a garage?  Most edible mushrooms require a cooler than 'room temp' environment to grow properly.  You might want to consider keeping your lab and colonization room indoors, while building a mini-greenhouse in the garage where it's cooler, at least in winter.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFoundas
Stranger
Re: Preparation of room. Any thoughts? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11233674 - 10/12/09 04:47 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Hi RR,

thanks for the reply. Can you please provide some examples of mini-greehouses where temperature and humidity can be controlled? Im living in Cyprus where temperature from spring to fall varies from 26 up to 40oC (during summer)

For now, im going to install several shelves on the wall to store the petri dishes and jars (with rye grains) till full colonization. Should i use any kind of shelves or do you recommend somthing else?

Thanks in advance

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparation of room. Any thoughts? [Re: Foundas]
    #11238547 - 10/13/09 12:09 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Most edible mushrooms deliver the best quality at around 15C to 20C.  You can run a small air conditioner if necessary.  Do you have access to a basement or other underground area?  The shelves will be fine for your petri dishes.  Be sure to wrap them with parafilm to prevent entry of contaminants.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Parafilm, Petri Dish, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms