Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDonPritchard
The Invisible Man
Male

Myc after only 6 days?
    #11231937 - 10/12/09 11:08 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Alright. So I knocked up my BRF jars last week on a Tuesday. I left for Chicago on Friday night and had no growth whatsoever. Upon returning I immediately checked my jars to find what I believe are healthy Mycelium growths at the inoculation points. I usually read that people are lucky to see any growth after six days (especially considering that the room temp is about 68-70 degrees). Could it be that for one hour a few times I day during the first day I used a heating pad at its lowest setting to warm the jars and then abruptly stopped? I would post pics, but after searching the contam forum I think it is safe to say that it is indeed Mycelium. Is this a "don't ask questions, just be happy" sort of thing?

--------------------
"Was it an error of sorts? No but air is important. Stare at the source; he isn't fair with his portions. Par for the course, of course I'm sore in the morning. Inadequacies freeze when the trap snaps the vermin. Slapdash check marks riddle the page. I guess that sets our wills to be made. To anyone who has wanted to lay bricks around their frames, follow us and do the same."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: DonPritchard]
    #11231943 - 10/12/09 11:11 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

:jah:

--------------------

OfflineDonPritchard
The Invisible Man
Male

#11231948 - 10/12/09 11:12 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Figured I would post a pic for the hell of it.

--------------------
"Was it an error of sorts? No but air is important. Stare at the source; he isn't fair with his portions. Par for the course, of course I'm sore in the morning. Inadequacies freeze when the trap snaps the vermin. Slapdash check marks riddle the page. I guess that sets our wills to be made. To anyone who has wanted to lay bricks around their frames, follow us and do the same."

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #11231958 - 10/12/09 11:15 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Looks thin but that's alright as the genetics liven up you'll see it turn more rhizomorphic, You're good to go.

--------------------

OfflineDonPritchard
The Invisible Man
Male

Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: HybridprX]
    #11231975 - 10/12/09 11:19 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Well if thats the case I feel like dancing. Excuse me, its my first grow!

--------------------

Invisiblem00nshine
ÜBER SHAMAN
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BALLS DEEP
    #11231999 - 10/12/09 11:27 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

:ranchydance:

:thumbup: for healthy myc

--------------------

OfflineDonPritchard
The Invisible Man
Male

Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: m00nshine]
    #11232017 - 10/12/09 11:34 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Everyones got an animation for something haha.

--------------------

OfflineFlashReaction
It all happens in a flash...

#11232047 - 10/12/09 11:40 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Take the foil off so that there is good gas exchange in the jar.

Assuming you have a dry verm layer or micropore tape over your inoculation holes. And lids on the jars.

--------------------
I do not condone or participate in any illegal activities. All of my posts are complete fiction.

OfflineDonPritchard
The Invisible Man
Male

Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: FlashReaction]
    #11232095 - 10/12/09 11:54 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Would this be upping the chance for contams? I do have a dry verm layer, but no tape of any sort. Would masking tape work for over the holes?

--------------------

OfflineCamKron
Mychotic
 User Gallery

#11232127 - 10/12/09 12:02 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

DonPritchard said:
Would this be upping the chance for contams? I do have a dry verm layer, but no tape of any sort. Would masking tape work for over the holes?

NO
i used this my fisrt grow and had no change for like 8 days (cuts off FAE)
i removed the masking tape and had some myc growth within 3-4 days :smile:
take off the foil, unless you live somewhere very humid or warm all year you should be fine with just the verm barrier (i usually take the MP tape off my jars once they get to ~40% colonized to speed it up anyway)
i would say dont use a heating pad
keep things consistent...if it worked then thats great, but there is no gauruntee it will work every time (mostly genetics...i hvae a room 65-70F, took about a week to get my first myc on this grow)..
good luck! the first grow is the most intense, wiat till you put your first cakes in the FC and see your first pins...o happy days!

--------------------
:cool: :mushroom2: :cool: All Pics And Advice Is Just Google Research :cool: :mushroom2: :cool: :mushroom2:

Invisiblem00nshine
ÜBER SHAMAN
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BALLS DEEP
    #11232152 - 10/12/09 12:07 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

DonPritchard said:

Yeah, masking tape works. It's what I use. I let the jars colonize to about 70%, take off the tape from a couple holes, and flip them. I've noticed no ill effects from keeping the tape on during colonization.

--------------------

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Loc: Gainesville, Florida, USA
Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: m00nshine]
    #11232228 - 10/12/09 12:26 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

The first jar I knocked up (on 10-2 :laugh:) showed growth in 4 days. So I'd say you're right on track.

--------------------
"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..." Repo! The Genetic Opera

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so."
Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls
All will be made manifest
And the warriors of the ethereal
Will be our only defense"

~~altair~~

Invisibleprismism

#11232236 - 10/12/09 12:28 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

DonPritchard said:
Alright. So I knocked up my BRF jars last week on a Tuesday. I left for Chicago on Friday night and had no growth whatsoever. Upon returning I immediately checked my jars to find what I believe are healthy Mycelium growths at the inoculation points. I usually read that people are lucky to see any growth after six days (especially considering that the room temp is about 68-70 degrees). Could it be that for one hour a few times I day during the first day I used a heating pad at its lowest setting to warm the jars and then abruptly stopped? I would post pics, but after searching the contam forum I think it is safe to say that it is indeed Mycelium. Is this a "don't ask questions, just be happy" sort of thing?

dont use a heating pad.
your goal should be to shoot for around 3 days to see growth. 6 is not bad for a first grow though. cheers.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Edited by prismism (10/12/09 12:28 PM)

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: prismism]
    #11232297 - 10/12/09 12:42 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

If you make the syringe your self with a fresh print 3 days is standard so for your second grow thing will be even better :thumbup:

OfflineTakebucks
Only New to You
Female
Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: badman]
    #11232460 - 10/12/09 01:09 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I see first signs of life three or four days after inoculation. I don't take the foil off, but I don't stack my jars either.

The foil has my labels on it, and I just put the jars back in the box I purchased them in. I put them on top of the fridge with a larger cardboard box over them to keep light out. I normally reach full colonization in around 12 days; I usually wait 18 days with consolidation week.

If I'm seeing correctly you're using the tapered 1/2 pint Ball jars, right? I used them for my first grow and it took 3 full weeks to reach 100% colonization; a full month before birthing. It took me around 50 phone calls and 12 trips to track down someone that sold 1/2 pint Kerr jars locally, but it was totally worth the effort. I effectively cut my incubation period by 30% or so, simply by buying different jars. If you have the time and patience to look, I would really recommend doing so.

Good luck on the grow, either way my first grow in Bell jars turned out plentiful.

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11232616 - 10/12/09 01:36 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

i usually see growth in 4

--------------------
:shrug:

OfflineDonPritchard
The Invisible Man
Male

Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: nastos]
    #11235238 - 10/12/09 09:26 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Yea I tried to find the Kerr jars at a few local groceries but I really just couldn't wait to get the ball rolling. I plan on getting more jars so I can have a continuous cycle going. The Kerr are definitely the next investment. I hear a lot of good things about them. I just can't wait to "reap what I sow", if you will. Or reap what I inoculate. Haha. Its exciting.

--------------------

OfflineSatori23
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lost In America Flag
Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: FlashReaction]
    #11235304 - 10/12/09 09:36 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

FlashReaction said:
Take the foil off so that there is good gas exchange in the jar.

Assuming you have a dry verm layer or micropore tape over your inoculation holes. And lids on the jars.

--------------------

My Drying Chamber

OfflineDonPritchard
The Invisible Man
Male

Re: Myc after only 6 days? [Re: Satori23]
    #11235512 - 10/12/09 10:07 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

The foil has been removed. It doesn't matter if I don't have any tape over the holes?

--------------------

OfflineThyrax
No way
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
    #11235523 - 10/12/09 10:09 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

no

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation