Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineasagao
Stranger
Salvia, linked to at least one death
    #11229618 - 10/11/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.mcall.com/news/all-a1_5salviabox.7047810oct11,0,2551238.story

Legal high
Salvia, linked to at least one death, has been outlawed in many states but not in Pennsylvania

By Pamela Lehman OF THE MORNING CALL

October 11, 2009

After buying packets of a legal hallucinogenic herb, a group of friends gathered at a Berks County home in April to smoke it and see what would happen.

But after taking a few hits from a pipe filled with dried Salvia divinorum leaves, a 49-year-old man in the group collapsed and died.

His death was ruled natural due to cardiac arrest. But it may be linked to Salvia divinorum, a leafy towering plant that's a psychedelic cousin of the salvia that grows throughout the Lehigh Valley. Unlike the flowering salvia plant with purple and red shoots that may be in your backyard, Salvia divinorum provides an intense hallucinogenic experience.

The herb could never be directly tied to the man's death at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest last spring, because it's legal in Pennsylvania and toxicological tests to determine its presence are not fully developed, said Lehigh County Coroner Scott Grim.

''It could be tied to more deaths, but we just don't know,'' Grim said. ''[People using salvia] are exploring the unknown, and I think that can be more dangerous than the drugs we know about.''

The April death is the first case Grim has seen involving salvia. At least two death investigations in Northampton County also have involved salvia, but none was directly linked to the plant, said Northampton County Coroner Zachary Lysek.

Fifteen states have banned the hallucinogenic form of salvia, and Maine prohibits anyone under 18 from having it. Ocean City, Md., outlawed it last summer after it surfaced in about 20 boardwalk shops, according to published reports.

Legislation is pending in Pennsylvania.

A bill that would add salvia to a list of controlled substances was introduced in April by Sen. Lisa Boscola, D-Northampton, and is with the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Boscola's chief of staff Bernard Kieklak. There's been no action on the bill since it was introduced.

Boscola, while giving a guided tour of the Senate to a group of suburban high school students about a year ago, grew concerned when she asked if anyone in the class knew what salvia was and all of the students raised their hands, Kieklak said.

Rep. Karen Beyer, R-Lehigh, said she's proposed a salvia ban that is awaiting review by the House Judiciary Committee.

''It is growing in popularity and is easy and cheap to acquire,'' Beyer said.

It's estimated 1.8 million people age 12 or older have tried salvia, according to a national survey on drug use published in 2008 by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a federal government agency. Most salvia users are adults 18 to 25, and most are men, the report says.

''People are buying this and using it, and there's still a lot we don't know about salvia,'' said Bethlehem police Detective Mark DiLuzio, who wants the herb banned. ''Some users claim it's actually more intense than LSD. That's a concern.

''Salvia is something that needs to be addressed and addressed soon,'' he said.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has listed salvia as a ''drug of concern,'' but making it illegal would not be a simple process.

Salvia is a perennial herb in the mint family, native to certain areas of Mexico. The leaves, which are typically chewed or smoked, have a psychotropic extract that provides a short-lived but intense hallucinogenic experience.

Proponents note it is not believed to be addictive and hasn't been associated with any health problems.

Salvia was long used by Mazateca Indians for spiritual sessions. The herb drew national attention in 2006 with the suicide of a 17-year-old boy in Delaware whose mother said he had been experimenting with salvia. The coroner listed salvia as a contributing factor in the boy's death, one of the few cases in the nation where the drug was directly linked to a death.

There's an explosion of salvia-smoking videos on YouTube, with some clips having been viewed more than 2 million times.

There are hundreds of videos chronicling the trippy effects on people smoking salvia, such as one called ''Ben Meets God on Salvia'' and another, ''Worst Salvia Trip in History.'' Many of the videos show young adults mumbling, whimpering or laughing hysterically.

''It does the same thing as illegal drugs out there, but the biggest difference is it's legal and parents need to be aware how easy it is to find,'' Grim said.

Packets of the herb are easy to buy at dozens of online sites or can be purchased at area tobacco shops.

At Primal Expressions in west Bethlehem, packets of salvia are kept in jars inside a locked display case. A one-gram bag costs about $20, but other bags run nearly $100.

The packaging material warns ''Salvia divinorum is a very, very powerful plant'' that should be used ''for incense only.'' It also suggests people using it should have someone with them.

The effects can be felt almost immediately, and hallucinations can last for 15 minutes to three hours.

There is no known medical use for salvia, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration's Web site.

Unlike other hallucinogens, the active ingredient in salvia, known as Salvinorin A, does not attach itself to the neurotransmitters, a requirement for illegal classification, according to the DEA. Unless the federal definitions for controlled substances are changed, there probably will be no national ban of the plant.

pamela.lehman@mcall.com

610-820-6790

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBuckthorn
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: asagao]
    #11229768 - 10/11/09 09:42 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

''Some users claim it's actually more intense than LSD. That's a concern.

First it's effects were compared to LSD in every article, now it's more intense. They must be pretty desperate.

Offlinepmb
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: Buckthorn]
    #11229782 - 10/11/09 09:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

"It does the same thing as illegal drugs out there"

Really what drugs out there are even close to it.

--------------------
Don't smell the flowers, They're an evil drug to make you lose your mind

OfflineVibes
Good Vibes
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: pmb]
    #11230028 - 10/11/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

There is no known medical use for salvia, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration's Web site.

And the web site also states that marijuana has no medical use. Reliable source is it not?:rolleyes:

What about the thousands alcohol and cigarettes kill every year? Who cares about those!

--------------------
:mushroom2:Good Vibes:mushroom2:

Edited by Vibes (10/11/09 10:27 PM)

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: Vibes]
    #11230565 - 10/11/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Seriously.. politicians and parents are so fucking stupid. SALVIA ISN'T EVEN A POPULAR DRUG TO TAKE! Like.. 99/100 people trying it once or twice and then decide that it's fucked up and never touch it again- that 1% left knew about salvia before youtube found out.

--------------------

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #11230588 - 10/11/09 11:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Vibes said:
Quote:

And the web site also states that marijuana has no medical use. Reliable source is it not?:rolleyes:

What about the thousands alcohol and cigarettes kill every year? Who cares about those!

what you linked doesnt mention MJ at all.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleDutchie3k
Psychic Drifter
Male

Loc: this hazy bubble, state o...
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: sui]
    #11230636 - 10/11/09 11:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Anybody else find it funny that the coroners last name is Grim?

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later"

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: Dutchie3k]
    #11230889 - 10/12/09 12:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

OMG ONE PERSON DIED FROM SALVIA AFTER 1000 YEARS OF USE
BAN ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

but alcohol can kill 1 every minute and thats ok with me it gets me laid

--------------------

OfflineDrugsRGood
Analytical Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #11230959 - 10/12/09 01:00 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enpo said:
Quote:

''Some users claim it's actually more intense than LSD. That's a concern.

First it's effects were compared to LSD in every article, now it's more intense. They must be pretty desperate.

Well, it is more intense than LSD IMO. I've tried it myself and it's the most intense high I ever had. Of course it doesn't last nearly as long as LSD so comparing it to LSD is plain stupid. I couldn't control my laughter and I couldn't do anything while I was high.

Quote:

Vibes said:
Quote:

:facepalm: Of course there is no KNOWN medicinal capabilities for Salvia, no research has been done on the plant as far as I know... so how the fuck can they even say that?

Alcohol... my father's an alcoholic and I don't like being drunk. Alcohol is fucking bullshit. How many people's lives have been affected because one or several of their relatives are alcoholics? Or accidents and deaths on the road related to alcohol? A LOT more than good old cannabis.

I know a lot of people who smoke pot daily and they are all in a good mood, they're all very good people. The same cannot be said about people who drink daily. Not at all. I know I'm rambling right now but I find it so ignorant and idiotic that alcohol is so widely acceptable when they are so many deaths associated to it. How many people die directly from pot, or have killed because they were high?

I was listening to a song on the radio one day and some of the lyrics were something like: I get drunk all day, drunk all night. I cannot fuckin comprehend why that is sociably acceptable when a natural herb, that has so many positive effects, isn't. It helps you sleep, it gets rid of nausea, makes you eat even if you weren't hungry before smoking it, it makes you very relaxed, gets rid of stress, makes you happy and I could go on and on...

I must say that everytime I get a cold, I smoke a couple of bowls and I feel a lot better and my colds never last more than 2-3 days. I don't take ANY medication. Water, chicken and noodle soup, and my bong. Now, I don't know if it's my immune system or if marijuana really helps in the long run. It should be studied.

I simply cannot understand why marijuana is regarded as a "terrible" and "evil" drug. Do people even think sometimes? They just don't want all "supporters" of cannabis to be right. They don't want to have that on their conscience. They are so fuckin selfish. I'm sure they all know that alcohol and cigarettes are way more dangerous and deadly. Anyone that isn't deaf or ignorant knows that. Fuck man, about 45000 people die YEARLY from cigarettes in Canada. The extremely high medical costs related to treating people because of long-term cigarette use is the only reason why cigarettes should be abolished. If a pack-a-day smoker would come up to me and talk shit about marijuana, I'd probably get so mad that I'd have to leave not to hurt him. I wouldn't even be able to talk to him/her/them without screaming.

They just don't let those thoughts enter their heads, that is if they have one. They don't want to listen. Are there any benefits to Alcohol? It's great for parties and for socializing. I can't think of anything else. Cigarettes? Forget about that, that's like WANTING to sniff smoke from a fire. Automatically, you should be jailed, you're a criminal, a menace to society, a dangerous fellow and whatever fuckin reason they come up with.. So, technically you're just as bad as a murderer cause you get the same punishment. Fuckin ridiculous.

In my neighbourhood, so many people smoke pot. I think I know more people who smoke pot than just cigarettes. The government is just scared that if their country legalizes marijuana, every other country that prohibits it will frown and be disgusted, but it has to start somewhere... Cops, they are the only ones I kinda respect cause they are just doing their jobs. But some of the arrests do make me speechless. It's the people above them that I cannot understand. Everyone against it should go hang themselves or read a book. Or even better, smoke a joint, see for yourself.

0.5g or more will get most people pretty stoned, well, occasional users especially and they'd have a hard time multitasking or to think logically, but taking about .1g does wonders, every single person should take as little as 0.1-0.2g every 2-3 hours. The world would be a wonderful place. So many people these days are stressed because of obvious reasons, work, school, tests, life. If everyone inhaled 1-2 lung-fulls they'd be so much more relaxed. And IMO stress is the number 1 problem in society by far. There's your answer. Remove your fuckin ear plugs and start being open about it for fuck sake. All of the facts are there and everything about it is positive. I know people who smoke 3-4 grams or more daily, they are fuckin potheads and don't do anything else all day. But taking half or a full bowl as needed is nothing more than fantastic...

That felt good.

--------------------
Life is an adventure; not knowing what's ahead brings a great sense of anticipation; and meeting women is the reward.

Invisiblethezidane

Loc: australia
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: Coaster]
    #11231652 - 10/12/09 06:58 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
OMG ONE PERSON DIED FROM SALVIA AFTER 1000 YEARS OF USE
BAN ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

but alcohol can kill 1 every minute

:thumbup::thumbup: took the words right out of my mouth

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: thezidane]
    #11231998 - 10/12/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Salvia does have known, medicinal uses.

It causes allergic effects when taken in excess.

But, users shouldn't have to justify themselves to Pamela.

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: durian_2008]
    #11232193 - 10/12/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

What really scares me about this is my thoughts about psychedelics and entheogens included that they take you to the place of death, in high enough doses, but don't actually kill you because they're here to aid us in the transition from death-afterlife.

Well if they CAN kill, they scare me a little more.

It's basically just the gov't putting scare because they haven't PROVED it was directly caused by salvia.

It's like a guy with a weak heart does a bunch of cocaine and dies... the coke is the problem? What about the guy doing the drug regardless of his weak heart, knowing it COULD have potentially harmful side effects.

I still maintain that no one dies from the direct effects of salvia, DMT, mushrooms, marijuana, and most other natural hallucinogens.

And the fact that certain drugs are ILLEGAL and others are LEGAL doesn't change the level of intensity at ALL, but because the government makes certain ones illegal, the legal ones, like salvia, are more open to use by morons.

If all drugs were legal people would know the effects without trying it, at least I believe so. And with this, no more dumbass use by people who don't know what they're getting into.

Dude smokes salvia and tweaks because he doesn't know what's going on, and he has a weak heart (just an example, not this specific story), and he sees things that scare him shitless because is unprepared and his heart can't handle it so he dies.

If he were ready for such an experience (or at least more able to "let go" and allow the trip to happen) I assure you he would NOT die.

Edited by Angel_Above (10/12/09 10:24 AM)

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: Coaster]
    #11232223 - 10/12/09 10:25 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

FUCK, U GUYZ. 1 PERSON MAY HAVE AT ONE TIME USED SALVIA AND THEN THEY DIED LIKE MONTHS LATER. WE ARE SO FUCKED. FUCK. fUCK. FUCK.

U guys wanna get some alcohol? dawg that kills ~100,000 a year. so what?
naw i'd rather have a cigarette. dawg that contributes to ~400,000 deaths a year. fuck it

america

makes sense

fuck u

--------------------

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: learningtofly]
    #11232361 - 10/12/09 10:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Everyone, who goes deep enough, finds a point of no return.

There is no contradiction in associating psychedelics with death.

Offlinesmokescreen
80's Transformer
Male User Gallery

Loc: north carolina
    #11232694 - 10/12/09 11:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Who has ever had a salvia experience that lasted 3 hours?  Must be from chewing rather than smoking

--------------------
:ganja: "Let's get together and feel alright" :ganja:                  :cubie: :mushroom2::tripping:

InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: smokescreen]
    #11232794 - 10/12/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

These articles are so depressing. Why does the general public have to be so stupid?

OfflineDutch-Master2890
Stranger

Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: smokescreen]
    #11232861 - 10/12/09 12:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Salvia is fucking intense...not my drug of choice but im glad ive done it hallucinogens just give me a good outlook on life even when i have a terrible trip its always a learning experience

OfflineI AM SWIM
doin' thangs
 User Gallery

Loc: Feels Changsta Man
    #11233294 - 10/12/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

smokescreen27 said:
Who has ever had a salvia experience that lasted 3 hours?  Must be from chewing rather than smoking

I once took a bong hit of 10x extract, and had an experience that lasted over 3 hours.

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
Quote:

Everyone, who goes deep enough, finds a point of no return.

There is no contradiction in associating psychedelics with death.

I have to say this is true.

--------------------

OfflineMorican
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: Dutchie3k]
    #11234137 - 10/12/09 04:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dutchie3k said:
Anybody else find it funny that the coroners last name is Grim?

That is creepy... But yeah I could see how a Sally trip could scare someone, especially a first timer with an already bad heart, to death.

Very unfortunate but I'm sure he went peacefully.

OfflineLucas89
lysergicmescalcybin
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSR
Re: Salvia, linked to at least one death [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11237481 - 10/13/09 01:33 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:
Seriously.. politicians and parents are so fucking stupid. SALVIA ISN'T EVEN A POPULAR DRUG TO TAKE! Like.. 99/100 people trying it once or twice and then decide that it's fucked up and never touch it again- that 1% left knew about salvia before youtube found out.

this.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract