Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Carlos Casteneda 'Classifications'
    #11230688 - 10/12/09 12:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I remember Don Juan sort of "classifies" substance into 2 catagories in the first book; plant allies and something else... What was the something else, I forgot?

More importantly what do you make of this distinction?

I am wondering how it might relate to the Heideggerian modalities of ready-to-hand and present-to-hand; on the off chance that anyone else is into Heidegger. Actually, I am preparing a presentation that might illustrate many points in common between the two, as similarities in their constitution of being-there.

But the question I submit here considers Don Juan's 2 basic kinds of substances. What is your interpretation of this?

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
Re: Carlos Casteneda 'Classifications' [Re: daytripper23]
    #11230892 - 10/12/09 12:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

To classify these plants as hallucinogens and the states they produced as nonordinary reality is, of course, my own device. Don Juan understood and explained the plants as being vehicles that would conduct or lead a man to certain impersonal forces or "powers" and the states they produced as being the "meetings" that a sorcerer had to have with those "powers" in order to gain control over them.

He called peyote "Mescalito" and he explained it as being a benevolent teacher and protector of men. Mescalito taught the "right way to live." Peyote was usually ingested at gatherings of sorcerers called "mitotes," where the participants would gather specifically to seek a lesson on the right way to live.

Don Juan considered the jimson weed and the mushrooms to be powers of a different sort. He called them "allies" and said that they were capable of being manipulated; a sorcerer, in fact, drew his strength from manipulating an ally. Of the two, don Juan preferred the mushroom. He maintained that the power contained in the mushroom was his personal ally and he called it "smoke" or "little smoke."

I don't really have an opinion off the top of my head about it to answer your questions at this time, but I hope this quote helps...

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: Carlos Casteneda 'Classifications' [Re: Mufungo]
    #11231239 - 10/12/09 02:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, that's it, thanks.

...But wasn't there a name?

Oh and what's your source?

--------------------

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #11231296 - 10/12/09 02:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure if there's a name other than teacher/protector. The book was the source. I have an electronic version of all of his books, so it makes finding specific parts easy.

Here's the torrent link to the electronic books...
http://isohunt.com/download/111429881/Carlos+Castaneda+-+All+Books+In+One.torrent

--------------------

InvisibleLakefingers
    #11231440 - 10/12/09 04:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I know Heidegger, but I can't spontaneously help you to connect with the Don Juan classification system.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: Carlos Casteneda 'Classifications' [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11233783 - 10/12/09 03:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Bump

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale