Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenonamenomad
Mold Maker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost in Thought
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: koopa_troopa]
    #11533680 - 11/26/09 07:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

koopa_troopa said:
I'm sure many of the experienced members around here have heard of supplementation at casing aka SACing, yet I have never seen or heard of anyone on these forums actually putting this much tested and seemingly amazing technique to work. This baffles me, seeing as how there are hundreds of threads on these boards discussing ways to increase flushes and yield, yet here lies one of the must proven and easiest methods to do so and no one does it.

For those that are unaware what SACing is, it is the practice of breaking apart colonized bulk substrates and adding supplementing it with organic material usually rich in nitrogen and lipid content. Common materials usually consist of ground soybean, flax seed, and rape seed.

I believe the lack of SACing attempts by members is due to the fear of shredding precious bulk subs which are colonized and ready to fruit & I believe I may have stumbled upon a method to potentially bypass this issue.

I just ordered one of these solid flavor injectors http://www.tvtopten.com/solid-flavor-injector.html which more or less acts as a syringe that is capable of injecting solid material. I will be using it to inject pasteurized ground soybean periodically throughout my next colonized substrate and will compare the results with an identical substrate colonized by the same cube isolate. Sounds like a damn fine evening of experimentation if you ask me..

Any comments.. suggestions!? And please.. I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with either SACing or SASing, im all ears.. I myself have tried it recently and had great results but unfortunately did not have a control so it may have been shear luck (or just mad skizillz!!) that I had such killer yeilds. But frankly, Im dumfounded no one around here has tried a technique that consistently proves to increase yields by 80-150%!!

...O.O...
still eagerly tuned into this topic.

KOOOOOOPA...show us some pix! hahaha.
    first of all your idea to use the solid flavor injector is genius! allowing you to introduce the nutrients without breaking down the mycelial network- but I'm curious, in theory SAC'in with a solid flav. injec. should/would accomplish your intended objective. In practice tho, would the nute's we've provided <through modified SAC'ing with the flav.injec.> be colonized and utilized in time for our 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd flush?
    of course the myc. network will help to distribute the nutes....yadda yadda
    i'm just excited to witness some of your results. i have some tubs in the works to do some comparatives. have you had any experience with nutes other than soy? i'm planning to try flax seed meal, and ive read that many nutes can be used, i'm curious about the most effective one out there.

--------------------
"-If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk, is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, there is no separation, only in the mind-"
                                Native American-source unknown

"Peace can only come as a natural consequence of Universal Enlightenment."
                                Nikola Tesla-1919

6T's WBS tek

Whaddya mean CASING?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: nonamenomad]
    #11534537 - 11/26/09 09:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I can't believe that this topic has come up again.
I currently have two shoe boxes going for a comparison.
Both are the same spawn. Both are the same substrate mix.
The only difference is that one of them has toasted, ground soy in it.
At last look, they were both at about the same.
The sub is a basic CCV with pelletized gypsum added in the mix.
One has soy meal. The other doesn't.
I'm waiting on full colonization and will subject them to the same rigorous fruiting conditions.
this is funny.
soybeans, who knew?
or not?
IDK

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11534542 - 11/26/09 09:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Why toasted?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11534802 - 11/26/09 10:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Just to kill off any stuff.
they were beans out of the field

--------------------
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

InvisiblePassiveAgressive
Sleepy-_-kinoko!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tueri honorare saltus
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11535117 - 11/26/09 11:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This article (Stimulation of Yield in the Cultivated Mushroom by Vegetable Oils' by LEE C. SCHISLER) mentions that refined and crude vegetable oils introduced at casing have a beneficial impact after casing. So in theory one wouldn't have to crumble the colonized substrate, correct? Here's a couple excerpts from the SAC study;

Quote:

Schisler and Sinden (6) reported a beneficial effect of supplementing mushroom compost with certain refined and crude vegetable oils at casing. The treatment was reported to increase mushroom yield, particularly in the first break or flush of mushrooms. This suggested a relationship between lipid metabolism and the initiation of fruiting in the cultivated mushroom. They used a compost consisting of either synthetic compost or a mixture of synthetic and straw-bedded horse manure. The research reported in this paper is a continuation of this approach to compost supplementation. Various lipids and lipid-protein combinations were tested for their effect on yield of the cultivated mushroom, Agaricus bisporus (Lange) Sing., in an attempt to determine which component(s) in the oils was responsible for the fruiting stimulation. Whether the compost to which the oils were added had an effect upon the mushroom yield response was also of interest. In the present investigation, conducted at the Mushroom Research Center of The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, the compost consisted of straw-bedded horse manure.

Quote:

TABLE 1. Effect of ground soybeans and cottonseed
oil supplemented at spawning

Treatment(a)                          Yield (lb/fPt')(b)
Normal spawn rate                                    .................2.01
Normal spawn rate plus ground soybeans    (400 g) .................... 2.09
Normal spawn rate plus cottonseed oil    (250 ml) .................... 2.11
Four times normal spawn rate                                    ...... 2.47
Four times normal spawn rate plus ground soybeans (400 g)    ..........2.93 *
Four times normal spawn rate plus cottonseed oil (250 ml) ............ 3.11

(a) Normal spawn rate was 110 g per tray. Amounts of supplements given represent amount per tray.
(b) Least significant difference, 0.05 = 0.40 lb/ft2.

Edited by PassiveAgressive (11/28/09 02:34 AM)

Sleepy-_-kinoko!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? *DELETED* [Re: PassiveAgressive]
    #11535383 - 11/27/09 12:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by PassiveAgressive

Reason for deletion: Whoops! :smile:

Edited by PassiveAgressive (11/27/09 06:05 AM)

Sleepy-_-kinoko!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: PassiveAgressive]
    #11535944 - 11/27/09 06:08 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PassiveAgressive said:
(Stimulation of Yield in the Cultivated Mushroom by Vegetable Oils' by LEE C. SCHISLER)

Quote:

Supplement                Amnt. added per tray              Yield (lb/ft2)
None.......................                                      3.72
Cottonseed meal.............. 250 g                              3.91
Cottonseed meal.............. 500 g                              4.48
GB-18b ................      186 g                              4.05
GB-18 ......... .......      372 g                              3.43
GB-18................        558 g                              2.33
Cottonseed meats(b) .......  400 g                              4.52
Cottonseed meats............. 800 g                              2.75
Ground soybeans ............. 286 g                              4.48
Ground soybeans.............  572 g                              4.36
Crude cottonseed oil (Proflo)(b). 200 ml                          4.48
Crude cottonseed oil (Proflo) 400 ml                              4.42
Refined cottonseed oil .......200 ml                              4.58
Refined cottonseed oil ...... 400 ml                              4.88
Refined soybean oil ......... 200 ml                              4.50
Refined soybean oil.......... 400 ml                              4.58

**Sorry about the quality. The quotes were grafted from a .pdf :grin:**
There sure does seem to be some fairly good looking data here! If what im reading is true then it's been overlooked for way to long. :shrug:

--------------------

(\___/)
(= ‘.’=)
(”)__(”)
:amanitajar:

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: PassiveAgressive]
    #11539870 - 11/27/09 09:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

so are you saying in the last 2 posts that at 100% colonization of a substrate by a high spawn rate with the addition of oil by lets say injection into said preparation will work.?

spawn sub wait for 100%
inject oil
get more shrooms

or something like that.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

Sleepy-_-kinoko!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: ratdog]
    #11540976 - 11/28/09 02:19 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ratdog said:
so are you saying in the last 2 posts that at 100% colonization of a substrate by a high spawn rate with the addition of oil by lets say injection into said preparation will work.?

spawn sub wait for 100%
inject oil
get more shrooms

or something like that.

I wish this was my data, but it's not. I haven't tried this myself but from what I understand, yes, a high spawn ratio with injections of refined soy-bean oil (most veggie oils in my area are comprised mostly of soy) into the fully colonized substrate.

Very convincing sources and data. Nothing to shake a stick at. It amazes me that the Shroomery didn't catch this until now!

--------------------

(\___/)
(= ‘.’=)
(”)__(”)

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#11541344 - 11/28/09 06:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

gngsteroflove said:
I'm waiting on full colonization and will subject them to the same rigorous fruiting conditions.
this is funny.
soybeans, who knew?
or not?
IDK

I think you're missing the point entirely. The idea is to supplement at precise times, not just tossing it into the sub.

That's not to say that your method won't serve as a control for comparing supplementation at spawning against casing.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Edited by anonjon (11/28/09 06:52 AM)

Invisiblestonesun
Sclerotia Aficionado
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 64º08'00"N 21º56'00"W
Trusted Cultivator
Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: koopa_troopa]
    #11541391 - 11/28/09 07:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

koopa_troopa said:
stay tuned pics soon!

:shrug:

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: stonesun]
    #11541469 - 11/28/09 07:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

stonesun said:
Quote:

koopa_troopa said:
stay tuned pics soon!

:shrug:

Failure?

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: anonjon]
    #11541668 - 11/28/09 09:07 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anonjon said:
Quote:

gngsteroflove said:
this is funny.
soybeans, who knew?
or not?
IDK

I think you're missing the point entirely. The idea is to supplement at precise times, not just tossing it into the sub.

That's not to say that your method won't serve as a control for comparing supplementation at spawning against casing.

I am going to have to agree with you on this one. I have had a difficult time wrapping my head around this concept since it showed up on my radar a month or two ago.
I think that it is an interesting concept but lack the specific controls to do a legitimate comparison. I'm not sure that you could get accurate results without an isolate and such.
I would like to see someone with the ability to do it correctly post some results.

--------------------

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
    #11543773 - 11/28/09 03:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PassiveAgressive said:
Quote:

ratdog said:

spawn sub wait for 100%
inject oil
get more shrooms

or something like that.

I wish this was my data, but it's not. I haven't tried this myself but from what I understand, yes, a high spawn ratio with injections of refined soy-bean oil (most veggie oils in my area are comprised mostly of soy) into the fully colonized substrate.

Very convincing sources and data. Nothing to shake a stick at. It amazes me that the Shroomery didn't catch this until now!

if this is correct......... i am now under the impression that when bags are in use...... one should do the injection at 100%.... now i am left wondering if said injection could be done on the 2nd flush. or 3rd 4th etc.

please advise as i do understand the sac idea but must it be implemented only at the point before 1st flush.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: SACing (supplementation at casing) and variations of. Any Experience?? [Re: ratdog]
    #11543795 - 11/28/09 03:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I thought the point was supplementing nitrogen before each flush?

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Sleepy-_-kinoko!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11552512 - 11/29/09 11:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

ratdog,

I highly suspect this technique is not confined to spawn bags, I've never worked with them nor have i ever employed the S.A.C. technique. All I can do at this point is assume. A few people are currently doing tests on this so we'll all know when the time comes.

I have no clue other than what can be read in that paper.

--------------------

(\___/)
(= ‘.’=)
(”)__(”)

Offlinekoopa_troopa
the fun guy
Male User Gallery

#11567794 - 12/02/09 02:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey everybody.. sorry for the wait, schools been killing me lately, taking 18 hrs of classes to graduate this spring is taking a tole on me soul :/

@gangster: While your inclusion of soybeans to your substrate may stimulate yields slightly due to the beans inherent lipid content, it has nothing to due with the process of "sac'ing." And there is a prolific amount of very reputable scientific studies done on this subject, so its efficacy is not at all question.. I am simply interested in developing an effective and much simpler method to allow home cultivators to achieve similar results without worrying about introducing extra contams and time consuming steps like breaking apart the substrate post colonization. Especially since I believe these are the two main reasons people have shyed away from SACing (why else would the collective OMCs ignore proven methods to double yeilds?!?) BTW gangster, you didnt mention dehydrating the soybean.. not doing so may increase your chances of contams since it is always a bad idea to introduce fresh "green" vegetation. As to you having trouble understanding the concept, you seem to be a smart guy.. I believe your negative preconceptions on the subject are keeping you from understanding a relatively new but simple concept.

@nonamenomad In my last SACing experiment, my supplements I added after colonization comprised of these 3 ingredients (all where dehydrated and then baked at a medium temp to reduce contams):

1)Dehydrated crushed soybeans and shells, at a rate of 6% of the dry substrates initial weight

2)Roasted (as it came packaged) flax seed, which I also dehydrated at 2% of the initial dry sub weight

3)Rapeseed, also at 2% dry substrate weight. This is one of the base ingredients in the original Spawn Mate, the 1st patented and proven supplement developed solely with the intent to boost yields.

IMPORTANT: Substrate temps will increase drastically during the first few days after supplementation. If attempting with monos, you will benefit greatly with the addition of an aquarium pump to force fresh air exchanges almost constantly to avoid any detrimental effects during this period. This is especially true when dealing with supplements high in lipid content.
*** Heres a post of mine describing my method for combating the excess heat generation. This will also increase yields  quite considerably on its own without SACing: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=11324896&page=0&vc=1#11324896

Besides these supplements and SACing in general, I have been experimenting with boosting yields with lipids/oils for quite some time with success (esp those of the canola variety). Also of interest is Menefee Humate.

@ Ratdog: Not sure if you ever checked out the links I attempted to post on the 1st page of this thread but those along with many others have reported positive increases the yields of later flushes when SACing AFTER the 1st flush, esp when SACing was done between the 1st and 2nd flush. This is probably bc the substrate is still relatively healthy and contam free, yet much of the substrates primary nutrients and moisture were depleted by the abundant 1st flush.
  -FOLLOW these steps if having trouble viewing the links I posted on the 1st page: put the following phrase into Google: Supplementation at casing ground soybean
  -click on the 2nd or so link entitled: Mushroom Science XI Proceedings... Click "View as HTML" or pubhort will not let you view the document!!

When I first created this thread I was hoping to produce a greater amount of grain spawn for a true multi-variable yeild & B/E test comprising of several large bulk grows, but due to my hellacious midterms and general life raping at the hands of college professors, I haven't had the chance to do so. But luckily, I still have 3 medium spawn bags ready to go, (each with 2.5 quarts of WBS), and am dying to test out my solid flavor injector idea. Soooo, ive decided on doing the next best thing and will do a single, insanely, ludicrously large bulk grow, supplemented at casing.. with a detailed pictorial of the methods and results to be posted within this thread.

I will be spawning these WBS bags to a single large double tub (consisting of 2 clear 100+ qrt sterilite's with timed air pumps)sometime this week. And while hardly scientifically legitimate, if my previous attempts at SACing where any indication of its true potential at increasing yield and biological efficiency, this grow should be interesting to say the least.

--------------------

Koopa Out
OfThisWorld,SmilingDownOnOurs: BirsdEyeView,NeverNewLife,PastsFastAsCars

Sleepy-_-kinoko!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11573312 - 12/02/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

@ Koopa Troopa - Do you suppose injecting refined oil in sparing amounts would be acceptable for those increased yields? In theory one could fill an injector with an amount of refined soy oil and put maybe 5-10cc per inch @ X depth of substrate.

Also you mentioned the sub heated up substantially, can you give us numbers or did you not measure the difference?

--------------------

(\___/)
(= ‘.’=)
(”)__(”)

Sleepy-_-kinoko!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11621644 - 12/10/09 05:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

BUMP.

--------------------

(\___/)
(= ‘.’=)
(”)__(”)

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

#11622581 - 12/10/09 10:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I am so glad that this thread was bumped because if you look up thread a little and see my post about adding ground toasted soy to a casing at casing I should tell you that it IS AN EPIC FAIL.
All other things were done normally CCV, pasteurized correctly, etc.
Anyway the point is that this experiment failed and I ended up with more types of mold than I have ever seen in my life. Trich, cobweb and what I think is a pretty red lipstic.
The only thing I don't like about experimentation is the loss of money in substrate and jars and jars of healthy spawn.
Just thought I'd let anyone who was curious know my results.
On the plus side, my compost pile is growing exponentially. :facepalm:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags