Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGlassApex
Brock Samson

First attempt at WBS - what is this?
    #11229429 - 10/11/09 10:48 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

So, I tried WBS for the first time. I inoculated 4 pint jars with an Ecuador spore syringe. I threw one out (looked contaminated), two of them haven't done anything, and one looks like this;

That doesn't look like mycelium to me. It's been about 15 days. I made the mistake of shaking the jars after inoculating them to later find out you're not supposed to do that with spores.

Obviously, I simmered too long, but it was my first time. So, I'll give myself a break. :smile: I figured it would've still worked. Guess not.

So, what's the deal? Is this a contaminate? Dried out?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

Loc: Where do YOU live?
Re: First attempt at WBS - what is this? [Re: GlassApex]
    #11229535 - 10/11/09 11:07 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

I'm very new at this so my opinion can probably be thrown in the trash, but to me that kinda looks like a bacterial infection.  The excess wetness looks a little shifty.

But, once again, I'm very new.

--------------------
I am a fictional character.  There is no one behind this computer.

Offlineagent_wonderbread
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #11229577 - 10/11/09 11:14 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

i've got a jar of shiitake i noc'd with liquid culture on the 25th of last month that looks just like that.

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: First attempt at WBS - what is this? [Re: agent_wonderbread]
    #11229598 - 10/11/09 11:17 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

hard to tell.. looks good to me... lets see what it looks like in  a few days.. do not open it..

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: First attempt at WBS - what is this? [Re: agent_wonderbread]
    #11229617 - 10/11/09 11:19 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

agent_wonderbread said:
i've got a jar of shiitake i noc'd with liquid culture on the 25th of last month that looks just like that.

And what makes you think both are not infected? It is normally not a good sign when your jars look like that. Give it a few days and see what it looks like.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

OfflineGlassApex
Brock Samson

Re: First attempt at WBS - what is this? [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11229632 - 10/11/09 11:21 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

It's looked like that for probably the last 3-4 days (no growth). It's weird how the last 1/3 of the jar looks normal.

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11229639 - 10/11/09 11:22 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

GlassApex said:
It's looked like that for probably the last 3-4 days (no growth). It's weird how the last 1/3 of the jar looks normal.

Yeah, that's not a good sign...

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

OfflinePsychedelicious
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

#11229943 - 10/12/09 12:10 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Yeah, I've found that initial germination/mating of spores took a lot longer with my first attempt when I shook after inoculation, than with my more recent inoculations where I didn't shake. They began showing signs of growth two days after - my shaken-after-knock jars took 8 days just to show a spec on a single jar. Some of them took almost two weeks!

--------------------
<metatron> i dont think the surface area of a mushroom is quite ideal to administer psychoactive compounds anally

OfflineMontock
Time = $
 User Gallery

#11230431 - 10/12/09 01:19 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

GlassApex said:
So, I tried WBS for the first time. I inoculated 4 pint jars with an Ecuador spore syringe. I threw one out (looked contaminated), two of them haven't done anything, and one looks like this;

That doesn't look like mycelium to me. It's been about 15 days. I made the mistake of shaking the jars after inoculating them to later find out you're not supposed to do that with spores.

Obviously, I simmered too long, but it was my first time. So, I'll give myself a break. :smile: I figured it would've still worked. Guess not.

So, what's the deal? Is this a contaminate? Dried out?

Im more of a pro at rye berries and popcorn, but to me that looks like it was simmered to long and to wet when put in your jars, dont worry about it, you'd luagh if you knew how many jars all the moderators, and all of us fucked up when we first start, my very first time attempting rye berries, i blew my jars up, now i can get a perfect g2g or inoc jar with rye/popcorn, while smoking slavia(not really) with rye and popcorn after you think its dry enough, take a peice of t.p for each strainer and put a tablespoon of each strainer on the t.p. for 15 seconds, if there is moisture dry more, with simmering i dont with rye just boil for 10-15 min i simmer popcorn for until perfect texture, i know your using bird seed but if you want to give the others a whirl pm ill walk you thru what i do

--------------------
Looking for Wife, please pm me your picture and list of skillz.

I'm wrong all the time, my posts are subject to being wrong at any  point or time, get butt hurt at own risk.

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
    #11230582 - 10/12/09 01:44 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

I'd give it another week to see what it does.

Next time try a 24 hour soak and forget about the simmer. Just make sure the WBS is thoroughly strained of access water.

Also, only shake the jars three times. Once just before inoculation.  Once at 30% colonization, and once just before you spawn.

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: First attempt at WBS - what is this? [Re: nexus1946]
    #11230678 - 10/12/09 02:01 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

1) what does your jar top look like? How many holes? covered with what?
2) Did you shake it again besides the initial shake after inoculating; usually mycelium will cover the outside of the grain and the inside will be the least colonized
3) is there any liquid in the jar. Does it have a yellow tint?
4) Does any of the mycelium have a yellow tint?

-15 days could have been aided in that you shook the jar right after.
It looks like mycelium, but the bottom half looking normal (meaning not colonized and popped) is probably due to bacterial contam.
Especially since you said it's been like that for 4 days. Try waiting a bit longer and maybe changing the conditions. When things stall you can thank bacteria

**Remember though, burst grains doesn't mean failure. I believe HippieChick did a purposeful colonization of burst grains with complete success :shocked:
SImmering works, but it's tricky...moisture levels need to be just right

Goodluck
:yinyang2:

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

OfflineGlassApex
Brock Samson

Re: First attempt at WBS - what is this? [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11235769 - 10/12/09 10:38 PM (8 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

RonPaulVerm said:
1) what does your jar top look like? How many holes? covered with what?
2) Did you shake it again besides the initial shake after inoculating; usually mycelium will cover the outside of the grain and the inside will be the least colonized
3) is there any liquid in the jar. Does it have a yellow tint?
4) Does any of the mycelium have a yellow tint?

-15 days could have been aided in that you shook the jar right after.
It looks like mycelium, but the bottom half looking normal (meaning not colonized and popped) is probably due to bacterial contam.
Especially since you said it's been like that for 4 days. Try waiting a bit longer and maybe changing the conditions. When things stall you can thank bacteria

**Remember though, burst grains doesn't mean failure. I believe HippieChick did a purposeful colonization of burst grains with complete success :shocked:
SImmering works, but it's tricky...moisture levels need to be just right

Goodluck
:yinyang2:

1. Jar lid is from an old PF tek. It had 4 small holes drilled out on the sides. I added an additional 3/8" hole to the center for inoculating and sucking the myc water back out. I filled the hole with polyfil and covered it with micropore tape. I also covered the 4 other holes with micropore tape.

2. No, I didn't shake this jar after the 1st shake. I read to wait until it was 40% colonized.

3. I don't see any yellow tinted liquid.

4. That's mycelium? :tongue: No, yellow anywhere.

I having a sinking feeling it's not mycelium. I'm surprised the other 3 jars didn't do anything. Maybe it was a bunk syringe, and this is just a bacteria contamination. I'll have to try it again with one of my own syringes. I don't want to waste the rest of this syringe and screw up the next batch.

OfflineGlassApex
Brock Samson

Re: First attempt at WBS - what is this? [Re: nexus1946]
    #11235793 - 10/12/09 10:40 PM (8 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

nexus1946 said:
I'd give it another week to see what it does.

Next time try a 24 hour soak and forget about the simmer. Just make sure the WBS is thoroughly strained of access water.

Also, only shake the jars three times. Once just before inoculation.  Once at 30% colonization, and once just before you spawn.

On this batch, I did a 24 hour soak and a simmer. I'll try it without the simmer next time. Thanks!

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
    #11235800 - 10/12/09 10:41 PM (8 years, 7 days ago)

it looks like mycelium...looks like it needs to breathe.......hows your G/E?.. did you put a 1/4 inch. hole w/ Tyvek filter? or maybe too much G/E...it does look dry..in there:bobmarley:

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Edited by botanisthype (10/12/09 10:42 PM)

OfflineGlassApex
Brock Samson

Re: First attempt at WBS - what is this? [Re: botanisthype]
    #11235867 - 10/12/09 10:48 PM (8 years, 7 days ago)

No, Tyvek filter. The post office was closed. So, I doubled up polyfil and micropore tape. Too much GE, you think?

I now have plenty of Tyvek for my next attempt.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11236771 - 10/13/09 12:52 AM (8 years, 7 days ago)

With a closer look I don't see any mycelial web formation. I thought i saw the beginnings on a corn kernel.
Quote:

GlassApex said:

2. No, I didn't shake this jar after the 1st shake. I read to wait until it was 40% colonized.

So you haven't shaken it at all besides that initial shake...hrmmm

I'm going to assume bacteria stall, but it's weird that the white is separated onto each kernel giving me the idea that it isn't mycelium. It's hard with pictures :tongue:

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation