Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFrequenze
Disbeliever

Loc: Inner Ring/Seventh Circle
Liquid Culture Questions
    #11227114 - 10/11/09 02:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So I'm going to try the baby bottles lc tek originally posted by agar, here Found a brew supply store with extra light malt extract. Have a 22qt pc. There are a couple of things I need to make sure of.

First, anyone know if the 4% mixture will be good for this type of media? Will this media alone be nutritous enough for the mycelia?

If I don't leave the lids to the bottles loose when I pc them, what will happen? Will they blow up? This question applies to just about any type of jar one might pressure cook without holes for air exchange.  Thing is I don't like the idea that when I open the cooker, all this outside air rushes in while the lids are still loose. Is there any way of getting around this?

Also, I just want to verify that no air exchange is ever necessary after the pressure is balanced. Having to use filters for the lids on jars makes agitating by hand while keeping the filters dry a pain in the nuts. If I were to use filters, would having one on the top and one on the bottom keep the top one from getting wet if I shake the jars? Note that this is assuming I use jars instead of baby bottles.

Finally, is there a limit to how many times these silicone self-healing injection ports can be pierced and still heal? Is any guage needle ok?

As you can see, I stock up on questions and throw them all out at once. Thanks very much for any help!

--------------------
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
~Twain
"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
~Nietzsche
"Be true to your own act; and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age."
~Emerson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Loc: Californi-eh
Re: Liquid Culture Questions [Re: Frequenze]
    #11227170 - 10/11/09 03:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

that tek is required too much work for me man
heres what i recently did for an lc here
all i did when pc'ing the jar was leave the lid screwed on just barely, and covered it with tin foil
the top only had an injection port with no gas exchange, the injection port was made with RTV, but you can also just poke a hole through the top and cover it with a couple of layers of medical tape which you can just put your needle through when you want to inject spores or suck up lc later on, just cover the spot up again after you have poked a needle through it

i really had great success from that if you look at the pics and times you can see proof

--------------------
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Re: Liquid Culture Questions [Re: SillyBilly]
    #11227202 - 10/11/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

just so you know, when you open the pc tighten the lid before taking off the foil

--------------------

OfflineMigraine
Expanding Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Alabama
    #11227204 - 10/11/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Don't give your mix too much sugar.  The LC will grow well but when you attempt to use the LC to grain - it will be very slow - your mycelium will have become lazy.

Your lids in the PC needs to loose or have a filter in place.  Place tin foil over the top of the lids.

If you are concerned about contaminated air getting in when you open the PC, use some paper towels soaked in alcohol, and make sure the PC sucks air through them.

Once you remove your containers from the PC, you still need a gas-exchange filter present.

What kind of filter are you using that you imply things get wet?

OfflineFrequenze
Disbeliever

#11227257 - 10/11/09 03:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That's a pretty sweet and simple tek, billy. So straining will be necessary? Guess I'll pick up some cheese cloth. 500 ml is about what I was gonna cook up, so I'll use your formula. What temp did you incubate @?

--------------------
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
~Twain
"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
~Nietzsche
"Be true to your own act; and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age."
~Emerson

OfflineFrequenze
Disbeliever

#11227280 - 10/11/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Migraine, thanks for the tip on the pc, where should I put the paper towels with alcohol? Mine is a mirro 22qt, not sure if it just takes in are from the top center valve or the sides too.
Talkin bout synthetic filters a friend had, not sure exactly where they're from, but they seem to be pretty good, do soak up a bit of the lc though.

Should I use sugar in the mix, or will the malt extract be ok on its own?

--------------------
~Twain
~Nietzsche
~Emerson

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Re: Liquid Culture Questions [Re: Migraine]
    #11227352 - 10/11/09 03:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

id stick with 3 cone shaped coffee filters, because i dont know that cheesecloth is going to stop the grain's of sugar and malt from getting into your lc. i had to redo it like 3 times to get it right before i didnt have particles of that shit floating around and ending up caramelized. the straining it only to prevent the undisolved sugars from caramelizing in the jar. so you end up with pretty much if not all liquid and no particles. you can even after straining everything into your quart jar just pour it into another container and restrain it with 3 new filters if you think it didnt get everything. it should be plenty hot if you choose to do that.

i didnt actually incubate it on purpose so i dont know the temp
but what i was saying later in the thread was that the stirrer was fairly warm in that yellow part but some heat did transfer to that white part that is suspended over it that you put the jar on.
so really you arent incubating

2 possible things that will slow your process down are 1. you are using cube instead of pan im assuming and 2. you may not have a stirrer so if you dont have a stirrer i suggest putting a marble in the jar and stirring it a few times a day.

at the moment im still getting over a really bad flu and im not up to it, but im going to try this out with cube spores and see what the results are for it.

--------------------

OfflineFrequenze
Disbeliever

#11227540 - 10/11/09 04:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You're right, billy, I'm using cubes, not pans. I intend to put marbles in jar cuz I don't have a stirrer...they seem to be quite expensive. It's an item I'm willing to buy eventually, can't right now though. So strain to eliminate undissolved particles, gotcha. Thanks for your help man

--------------------
~Twain
~Nietzsche
~Emerson

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

#11228109 - 10/11/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

no problem

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds