Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBrainbellJanglers
Stranger

My First Grow - Pics and Qs.
    #11227524 - 10/11/09 06:00 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Hi Gang,
First grow, first post.

Went to Brighton about two monts ago and bought a "MycoBox Golden Oyster" grow kit, along with 10ml of spores.  Used the kit plus 3 other small plastic containers, with brf and vermiculite, pure PF TEK I hope.

So I've got four nearly completely cultivated jars. 

My first question: is it dangerous to simply grow inside my house? I read a scare forum (Mycotoxin I think) about a guy who inhaled some mold and was on death's door for a while.  I really don't think it is possible, else I wouldn't even attempt to grow, but I want some reassurance. 

Second: I think I have one bad jar.  I've attached a photo of it, see the small blue/green spot, circled?

Here's another pic. Look just beneath the reflected light at the top of the jar and you should see the green/blue spot.

I know the contam is small but I am pretty sure it is bad and unless I hear otherwise I will toss the jar.

Here are two pics of the other grows:

This jar is the one that came with the kit:

Any comments? I know the pics aren't great but do these look ok?

Finally, one was a bit ahead of the others so I move it to a plasic container I bought at poundland (for, yes, one pound).  Before I moved it I saw what looked like (surprise) little mushrooms growing at the top.  Unfortunately I had to turn it upside down and tap on it to get out the substrate, so the mushrooms that were growing at the top of the jar are now on the bottom of the container.  I assume this is a common problem...

That's about it.  I am following the Tek as closely as I can. Comments / suggestions / warnings appreciated.

BBJ

--------------------
I'm just saying you only get one life. There's no God, no rules, no judgments, except for those you accept or create for yourself. And once it's over, it's over. Dreamless sleep forever and ever. So why not be happy while you're here. Really. Why not? - Nate Fisher

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: BrainbellJanglers]
    #11229748 - 10/11/09 11:40 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

aww I feel bad for you... You bought a MycoBox.... :wink: Wasted money.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineTakebucks
Only New to You
Female
Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11232084 - 10/12/09 11:51 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

That doesn't look like contamination to me, but you would be the best judge of that. I don't like to take chances.

I agree, wasted money on the MycoBox. Had you set up say, a shotgun terrarium to fruit your cakes in, you would have the option to set the cake on it's side, allowing mushrooms to grow from both the top and bottom. Not to mention you could throw one together for about 12 USD.

If you're inhaling enough mold to cause severe health problems then MOST LIKELY you're doing something wrong. There are definitely types of molds that are highly carcinogenic, but as far as I'm aware they're easily identifiable. Once identified, a thorough cleaning and sanitizing of your terrarium and it's surroundings should protect your other cakes/casings from contamination, as well as your lungs.

Follow all safety tips concerning the disposal of contaminated jars and cakes and be clean. You shouldn't have any trouble.

OfflineCamKron
Mychotic
 User Gallery

Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11232111 - 10/12/09 11:58 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Nuzzle said:
aww I feel bad for you... You bought a MycoBox.... :wink: Wasted money.

if your gonna do the PFtek, buy a PC and do it yourself, itll be a SHITLOAD cheaper, and the jars come in a pack of 12, so you can always keep a few jars going so you never run out :wink:

as for your 'contam' it looks fine, when you open the jar if it smells really bad or NOT like the clean ones smell (ie. mushroomy) then chuck it, but im sure its fine

as for your fruiting cake, why did you turn it upside down? i would pick it up and flip it so the shrooms are growing UP
im not sure what type of terranium you hvae (never used the myco supply bag grow) but i would say a shotgun FC (use search) will make your life easier
it provides enough FAE that you just have to fan and mist 2-3 times a day in order to get results...im not sure how you provide humidity in your current FC, but id imagine you will have to fan it at least 4-5 times a day to get it the required FAE.

good luck, and all your jars look fine. remember to let them sit for a week after fully colonising the jar for best results.

--------------------
:cool: :mushroom2: :cool: All Pics And Advice Is Just Google Research :cool: :mushroom2: :cool: :mushroom2:

OfflineCrack_Rocker
Cop Killer
Male User Gallery

Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: Takebucks]
    #11232142 - 10/12/09 12:06 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

You dont need to worry about getting sick from contams if you use common sense like dont eat contaminants. I would assume this is obvoius but Im sure i am about to get flamed for telling people they dont need to worry about it. I am sure someone will post a friend of a friend who knew someone story where someone died but dont pay attention to them. You can even eat shrooms that are growing from cakes with trich on them and will not suffer any ill effects. Our immune system is much stronger than a mushrooms so anything a mushroom survives will not hurt us. You already ingest vegetables that are growin in contact with trich, its extremely prevalent in commercial growing.

Sounds like spending all that extra money on a grow kit worked out well for you :laugh: but its your money to waste.

--------------------
Legalize it? Fuck that I'd have to get a job!

OfflineFlashReaction
It all happens in a flash...

Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: Crack_Rocker]
    #11232645 - 10/12/09 01:44 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

That doesn't look like a contamination to me. It's probably just some thinner, wispy mycelium that's barely covering the substrate, so it looks a bit grayish or something. I've seen it before, nothing to worry about. If the spot gets larger or becomes very noticeably green, then worry.

--------------------
I do not condone or participate in any illegal activities. All of my posts are complete fiction.

OfflineBrainbellJanglers
Stranger

Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: FlashReaction]
    #11234175 - 10/12/09 06:17 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

First, thanks for the replies and tips.

The jar I was worried about is in the bin.  The photos didn't do it any justice.  When I opened the lid I saw a large blue/green patch, which on further inspection was about 1 cm deep.  I tossed the whole thing.

You guys are right about the Mycobox.  But when I bought it I had done no reading at all, had never heard of a PF Tek.

So I have three jars left.  The plastic container that I moved my first jar into is large enough say to hold a Foster's Oil Can with plenty of room left over.  Here's a better pic:

Kills me to see those little shrooms pointing straight down, but fortunately it is pinning elsewhere.  All I am doing is opening the jar for 1/2 minute or so two or three times a day for air exchange. To be honest I haven't misted it at all, and it has been two or three days since I put the substrate in there.  So I guess I need to re-read the Tek about misting etc.

I had read up on the shotgun thing, and even bought a large plastic container and some perlite.  But now I only have two jars left, won't it be overkill?  Two jars in this 16 inch square container?

My other concern is that I'd be putting all of my eggs in one basket.  What if the shotgun gets contaminated? That's it, right? But if I have a few small containers then if one gets contaminated I've still got the others.

I'll keep updating, gain in a few days. I hope to have a decent pic of a nice little shroom pointing in the right direction.

BBJ

--------------------
I'm just saying you only get one life. There's no God, no rules, no judgments, except for those you accept or create for yourself. And once it's over, it's over. Dreamless sleep forever and ever. So why not be happy while you're here. Really. Why not? - Nate Fisher

OfflineFlashReaction

#11239415 - 10/13/09 03:03 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

I'd say set up the shotgun terrarium. You'll get way better results with it than you would fruiting the cake in that little plastic cylinder. The shotgun terrarium will provide much better fresh air exchange and you'll have more fruits (larger too!). Once you make the shotgun terrarium, you'll have it to use for future projects as well.

As for your contamination worries: fully colonized cakes are pretty resistant to contaminants, so that shouldn't be a problem.

So my suggestions to you are:

1. Go to http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek
The third video in the set will show you how to build a shotgun fruiting chamber. I suggest you watch all the videos as they contain VERY useful information (as well as show you how to do the dunk and roll tek which I suggest you do).

2. Build the shotgun terrarium

3. Dunk and roll your cakes

4. Put them in your shotgun FC.

Good luck!

--------------------
I do not condone or participate in any illegal activities. All of my posts are complete fiction.

OfflineCrack_Rocker
Cop Killer
Male User Gallery

Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: FlashReaction]
    #11239836 - 10/13/09 04:24 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

:thumbup: I 2nd that

--------------------
Legalize it? Fuck that I'd have to get a job!

OfflineBrainbellJanglers
Stranger

Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: Crack_Rocker]
    #11345998 - 10/29/09 05:20 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Here's an update.  I picked my first grow at around 40 grams. I've tried little ones to see if I would die.  I won't leave you in suspense, I didn't die.

Here are some photos from the second cake. 

In the container:

I like those two photos. 
Here's the pick.

Despite trying to use a "lite" version of a shotgun FC, this pick isn't as good.  Only 30 grams or so, mushrooms smaller.  The cake was dry more or less when I pulled it out, so I think I blew it.

Two questions, please help.
First, the caps turned black, sort of "dusted" almost.  I think these are spores, but not certain.

Second, and more important, the stems have the look and feel of Q-Tips / Cotton Buds.  Here's a close up.

Notice in the close up of the individual shrooms, there is a kind of soft white coating over the stems.  What is this? Are they OK to eat?

Thanks so much
BBJ

--------------------

OfflineCyanesense
AMU's Fish Killa
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
    #11346014 - 10/29/09 05:24 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

that fluff is fine its just myc from the high rh I think:thumbup:
congrats on the grow

--------------------
:eatingout:

Everything I say is totally false - and all my pictures were stolen from SWIM.:bananabang:

OfflineFlashReaction

Re: My First Grow - Pics and Qs. [Re: Cyanesense]
    #11349400 - 10/30/09 01:24 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Those are just perfect to eat, congratulations!

You are correct, the black (purplish) "dust" on the caps is spores.

As for the white fuzz on the stems, Cyanesense got it. It's mycelium and it is due to the high humidity and perhaps a slight lack of fresh air. It's not harmful whatsoever, but if you don't want it, just fan a few times more throughout the day.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation