Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblevadub
nuggets
Male User Gallery

New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes
    #11226929 - 10/11/09 04:31 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Hey all I've scoped out and acquired the materials and information regarding a BRF cake grow.  I've got the basics down and now I have a few questions.

1) I have a Mexicana Jalisco and Malabar spore syringe, which should I run first?

2)  I currently have the larger grain vermiculite, would purchasing the finer grain variety be a good idea?

3)  Should I double stack my cakes to increase yield?

4)  How many flushes should I expect and what would be a ballpark wet yield from 6 double stacked cakes at average conditions?

Thanks for your opinions guys cant wait for my first harvest!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline2Cents
Mushie Friend
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: vadub]
    #11226950 - 10/11/09 04:34 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

First off, not to be rude but what does double stack mean?
and second, CONGRATULATIONS! I hope your first grow goes well.:sun:
I use large grain verm and its fine, I first thought it might be a problem but it works the same. Its honestly unpredictable how much you will yield but a cake can go around roughly 3 flushes. keep in mind I am no TC

--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: 2Cents]
    #11226965 - 10/11/09 04:36 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

When fruiting, putting two cakes on top of one another, I believe.

--------------------
-

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: Dynoo]
    #11226968 - 10/11/09 04:37 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Mexacana Jaliso = Psilocybe mexicana? Or a strain of PS cubensis?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offline2Cents
Mushie Friend
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: Dynoo]
    #11226971 - 10/11/09 04:38 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Dynoo said:

I thought so but I wanted to make sure. how would this increase yield? if you wanted taller cakes just use pint jars instead of 1/2pint :shrug:

--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: 2Cents]
    #11226996 - 10/11/09 04:42 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Double stacking cakes literally mean double stacking cakes...fahster did it somewhere i'll try and dig up the post
basically it allow you to fit twice as many cakes in your normal shotgun, because you can stack them on top of eachother

As for your questions, let me try and help ya a little bit.

1)It's all preference, if you wanted you could do half of each and then grow them out and decide which strain you like better, or do all one for now and try the other strain out later (when you harvest you should take prints if you didn't already know to ensure you keep a copy" of the strain around)

2)You could purchase it if you wanted to, but I have used large grain vermiculite and never had any problems. You can also use your hands to break it into smaller chunks yourself, but watch out for the dust and wear a mask (being around the stuff all day everday for a long time can cause problems)

3)I've never tried double stacking, it is actually my next project (I have several projects going at once...) because I haven't had any wide mouth jars up until now and the tall 250mL jars just can't balance one on top of the other.

Fahster seems to have had great results from double-stacking, but once again everything is your own preference in this hobby, so try it out and see what works for you =)
give me a few minutes and i'll get a link to fahsters thread

4. For flushes, you can expect anywhere from 2 to 6 (I think I've heard of people getting a fourth fifth or even sixth but it wouldn't be much of a yield), and your net yield can depend on so many things. I get around 2 to 6 grams dry off each cake (first flush) and it goes down for each flush after that. If you are looking into growing big amounts, I suggest getting a hang of things with the pf tek and then when your ready and experienced move into bulk growing (WBS, rye, monotubs, greenhouses) ect.

Edited by sh4d0ws (10/11/09 05:18 PM)

Invisiblevadub
nuggets
Male User Gallery

#11227010 - 10/11/09 04:44 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

2Cents said:
I use large grain verm and its fine, I first thought it might be a problem but it works the same.

Nice sounds good one less thing for me to buy!

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Mexacana Jaliso = Psilocybe mexicana? Or a strain of PS cubensis?

Not sure but I do believe there is an entry for Jalisco in the strain thread.

Quote:

2Cents said:
Quote:

Dynoo said:

I thought so but I wanted to make sure. how would this increase yield? if you wanted taller cakes just use pint jars instead of 1/2pint :shrug:

That sounds about right, I think I'm going to stick with the half pints.  Since I'm using a large pot to steam sterilize I feel the smaller the better as far as eliminating contaminants!

Invisibleprismism

Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: vadub]
    #11227016 - 10/11/09 04:45 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

3- the only reason you should stack your cakes is if you have limited space in your fruiting chamber.

4- there is no ballpark figure when it comes to multispore mushroom grows. just be happy when you get mushrooms.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Invisiblevadub
nuggets
Male User Gallery

Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #11227040 - 10/11/09 04:49 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

sh4d0ws said:
Double stacking cakes literally mean double stacking cakes...fahster did it somewhere i'll try and dig up the post
basically it allow you to fit twice as many cakes in your normal shotgun, because you can stack them on top of eachother

As for your questions, let me try and help ya a little bit.

1)It's all preference, if you wanted you could do half of each and then grow them out and decide which strain you like better, or do all one for now and try the other strain out later (when you harvest you should take prints if you didn't already know to ensure you keep a copy" of the strain around)

2)You could purchase it if you wanted to, but I have used large grain vermiculite and never had any problems. You can also use your hands to break it into smaller chunks yourself, but watch out for the dust and wear a mask (being around the stuff all day everday for a long time can cause problems)

3)I've never tried double stacking, it is actually my next project (I have several projects going at once...) because I haven't had any wide mouth jars up until now and the tall 250mL jars just can't balance one on top of the other.

Fahster seems to have had great results from double-stacking, but once again everything is your own preference in this hobby, so try it out and see what works for you =)
give me a few minutes and i'll get a link to fahsters thread

4. For flushes, you can expect anywhere from 2 to 4 (I think I've heard of people getting a fourth fifth or even sixth but it wouldn't be much of a yield), and your net yield can depend on so many things. I get around 2 to 4 grams dry off each cake (first flush) and it goes down for each flush after that. If you are looking into growing big amounts, I suggest getting a hang of things with the pf tek and then when your ready and experienced move into bulk growing (WBS, rye, monotubs, greenhouses) ect.

Thanks for the info man I actually got the double stack ideas from some pics of fahster's I saw.

I'm diggin the monotub idea but your right I definitely want to start simple to simply produce quality product the first time around.

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx

Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: prismism]
    #11227065 - 10/11/09 04:52 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Seems fahtster has deleted his picture of double stacked cakes growing so I couldn't link to it

edit: maybe he didn't delete the link and I'm just too high to find it..oh well

and to add I'd suggest staying with half pints aswell as the full pints take much longer to colonize

just out of curiosity..do you have regular mouth half pint jars or the wide mouths? I've found that double stacking cakes is nearly impossible with the regular mouths because of their height which makes it hard to balance them on top of eachother

with the wide mouths they are shorter but wider therefore a bigger base making for easy stacking

I'm in the middle of designing a shotgun FC with a rack built into it to allow for two layers of cakes but I've never seen it done before so I'm concerned it may not work that well?

sorry I'm rambling! ate some bomb ass weed brownies my girl cooked up for me while I was at work last week =)

Edited by sh4d0ws (10/11/09 04:57 PM)

Invisiblevadub
nuggets
Male User Gallery

Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #11227125 - 10/11/09 04:58 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Yea I got the widemouths.

Weed brownies sound delicious, I like making firecrackers (finely ground bud mixed in with organic peanut butter and spread thinly between 2 graham crackers cooked at 320 for 22 minutes).  Next time you have a gram of headies make one it will send you to the moon!

Question:

Would masking tape be alright to cover the syringe holes or do I really need the breathable medical tape?

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11227195 - 10/11/09 05:08 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

vadub said:
Would masking tape be alright to cover the syringe holes or do I really need the breathable medical tape?

Can you breathe through masking tape?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx

Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: Doc_T]
    #11227250 - 10/11/09 05:17 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Get micropore tape..walmart has it, walgreens, most pharmacies

just look for "medical paper tape" or "micropore tape" it works excellent and can be put over the syringes holes in the lid, making a contamination barrier

however, if you are going to put a dry verm layer at the top of each jar you won't even need to tape over the syringes holes (I do use micropore tape though, just for extra precaution)

and yeah about firecrackers I love the damn things, made one last week with a gram of some ok outdoor weed and a .25 of afghan hash

I was gone and then passed out for an awesome sleep

OfflineTakebucks
Only New to You
Female
    #11227364 - 10/11/09 05:35 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

1. Sorry, I'm not familiar with either of these strains.

2. I used a medium/coarse grain verm for my first run with cakes, and it turned out just fine. You just have to be sure that you don't over-water it when you mix the substrate. I eventually started to mix one part medium grain verm to one part fine grade and I've found that to work best for me for both BRF substrate and for rolling cakes later.

3. In terms of overall yield, only so many mushrooms can be produced with the nutrient(s) available. In this case, the BRF.

In terms of being able to optimize the first yield, many of my cakes fruited from the top and bottom as well as the sides. The only advantage I could see from double-stacking is a greater ability to keep moisture near the mycelium. I've found that putting a heap of vermiculite on top of my cakes works very well for this, and I can fruit from the top sides of all cakes, not just half of them.

Now if you're trying to double-stack cakes so that you can put more cakes in a smaller space, it makes more sense and I don't see why you shouldn't do it. If this isn't the case however, I wouldn't do it personally.

In general though, you've done as much for the cakes by the time you put them in your terrarium as you possibly can to optimize yield, whether you D&R or you case them. At this stage, optimizing the size of yields relies on the conditions in your terrarium.

4. In principle, I try very hard not to attempt to work out my possible total yield. In essence, you're counting your chickens before they hatch. A number of things can go wrong to reduce your total yield, leaving you disappointed. Especially on the first run.

Even if you wanted to know, none of us are there to see what kind of setup you have, how often you mist and fan, or the general conditions of the terrarium and the room it's in. Any number will be a best guess.

In ideal conditions, I can get up to five flushes from a good cake, but this is rare and there are never more than five mushrooms at the last flush.

Good luck with your grow. You should think about putting together a grow log to get more detailed feedback on possible areas of improvement.

Invisiblefahtster
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New grower with a few questions about his first run with BRF cakes [Re: Takebucks]
    #11252066 - 10/15/09 12:23 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

As far as double stacking goes, it's extremely useful in optimizing your space.  The cakes actually benefit from close quarters... as each cake lives, it creates a nice micro climate for the cakes surrounding it.  A "one hand washes the other" sort of thing... that's why I always put as many cakes in one bin as I could.  You just need to remember that the more cakes in a bin, the more CO2 is produced, so FAE's need to be monitored properly.

I'd do a double end casing on each cake in each stack and put tin foil between the cakes... Some people find this unnecessary, but I found that in a lot of cases--esp. with PE done in cakes due to the longer time needed for them to pin--gravity will pull the water from the top cake and over-saturate the bottom cake; leaving the top cake too dry.  So stick a piece of foil between them.

This link has most of my double stacked bins in it... There's also some on the first page of that post, but you need to scroll down passed the cloning tek and prep.. I deleted a bunch of my early posts here.  I was still a minion over at 'topia and went off the deep end a couple times, but eventually I figured it out :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation