Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNamziar
Stranger
Rye grain in spawn bag - too much condensation
    #11226141 - 10/11/09 11:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm ending up with a lot of condensation in my spawn bags. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My technique is RRVideo's grain preparation tek from his video but I'm putting the grain in spawn bags instead of jars.

1. Rinse grain thoroughly
2. Soak grain for 24 hours. Drain water.
3. Bring grain to boil in fresh water for 10 minutes
4. Drain grain and let cool off and dry. I left the grain spread out on table with a fan blowing on it for about 10 hours. None of the grains have exploded open but they are soft inside.
5. Put 4 litres of grain into large spawn bag with filter patch. Heat seal bag. The bags are filled about 1/2 full.
6. Pressure cook bag for 75 minutes at 15-20psi. I fold the top of the bag so that the filter patch is tucked in and not directly exposed to the steam in the PC.
7. PC cools overnight and bags are then placed into 80 degree room with 30-40% humidity. The grains appear moist but they haven't exploded open.
8. Noc with 10-15cc of spores or LC

Almost immediately, lots of condensation has formed on the insides of the bags. The grain is getting soggy and some of it is getting mushy. From what I've read, if the grain is this wet it is prone to contamination and the mycelium won't grow.

Does anyone know of a good tek for getting the moisture level right in spawn bags using rye grain?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMigraine
Expanding Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Alabama
Re: Rye grain in spawn bag - too much condensation [Re: Namziar]
    #11226202 - 10/11/09 11:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You said you heat sealed the bag prior to PC'ing it?

Don't seal until after the PC cycle - you need a way for excess condensation (formed during the PC cycle) to escape - the "gas exchange" filter is not designed to accomplish that.

You stated you watched RR's video.  He does NOT seal until after PC'ing.

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
Re: Rye grain in spawn bag - too much condensation [Re: Migraine]
    #11226255 - 10/11/09 12:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

the above response is true.. also keep in mind, directly after the PC you will see lots of condensation, because the core temp is still higher than the room temp.. so you get condensation. My first set of bags (15 of them).. I saw this too, and assumed I was over hydrated, so i drain the rest a little longer. Well, the ones I drained longer have still yet to colonize, while the ones I thought were too wet have colonized and been spawned to bulk. So, it can go either way, just keep in mind if you followed a working TEK exactly, the results should be fine, but no one will know for sure as we weren't there. Pics for the best advice.

--------------------

OfflineNamziar
Stranger
Re: Rye grain in spawn bag - too much condensation [Re: Migraine]
    #11226290 - 10/11/09 12:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Can you clarify your response? Are you saying that pressure cooking releases moisture from the grain and that if the bag is sealed the moisture can't get out? If the bag is not sealed won't the steam from the PC add moisture to the grain?

The version of RR's video I have only shows preparation of grain in jars. It doesn't show how to do it in bags.

I thought the advantage of pre-sealing the bags is that when they come out of the PC you don't have to worry about contamination. Isn't there a way to pre-seal the bags and then PC and get the moisture content right?

thanks

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11226327 - 10/11/09 12:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well.. you will hear arguments going both ways.. I agree the bag should not be sealed.. additional moisture would only form if the water level was too high, or the bag was not folded correctly (accordion style, with a plate on top to hold it down.. I use rubber bands to hold it together myself).. if they are allowed to cool completely in the PC they will vacuum seal themselves, then you can seal with no worries. I have read posts of people sealing first and having success, so don't throw them out.. personally, I haven't done it this way, and the TEK's I follow are for open bags. I have found good moisture following them. I am not sure RR's process mentioned above is located in the free clips, but it is on the DVD's.

--------------------

OfflineNamziar
Stranger
Re: Rye grain in spawn bag - too much condensation [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11226330 - 10/11/09 12:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I understand that the initial temperature differential will result in condensation but the bags have been in a 80 degree room for a week. I haven't seen any mycelium growth yet so I'm assuming that things are too wet. Maybe I'm being impatient. Did your wet bags colonized well? How long did it take for you to see growth?

Can you recommend a good tek for rye berries in spawn bags? There's so much information here, it's hard to sort through.

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11226351 - 10/11/09 12:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well.. my bags that looked too wet to me (that worked out) took about a week to see growth, 5lb bags. But once growth started, it was dramatic and fast.. so give it a few. I know contamed bags will become obvious at some point, so I would wait for the definite visual answer. As far as a TEK.. search for known or stickied tek's involving berries .. I do not have a list handy, so dig around. Different tek's will have what seems as conflicting info upon comparison, but if you just follow one, exactly, similar results can be found.

--------------------

Edited by Herbal_Elixer (10/11/09 12:19 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag