Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemetalchimp
bionic monkey

Loc: Cambridge, England
I Fucked up ....right?
    #1122278 - 12/08/02 02:40 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

ok here we go, get cumfy for this one

it was a cold misty evening... nah scratch that,

this is my first attempt at growing mushrooms (psilocbe cubensis)
I didn't want to waste all my innoculate on an experiment that was doomed to faliure so I just inoculated two jars of substrate (brf) every thing was going well! (slow as fuck I inoculated on the 4th of Nov & they still ar'n't done colonising)

bottom line I got impatient, I took one of the jars I had (one with less growth, 4 spots about an inch in diameter) brutally ripped it from it's glass womb & subjected the partially grown featal matter to the sweet caress of a blender (NOOOOOO....NOT MY BABIES!!!!!)

WHY????????????

because I had read that you could do somthing like that & in my drug addled mind the logic added up, "even distribution of mycelium, cake will now be growing from everywhere as opposed to spreading from 4 inocculation points" + if we didn't experiment we would get nowhere.

I fear I have killed it, no sign of life whatsoever, am i right?

after my initial mutilation I returned the mangled spawn to its jar ( I know that even had it worked I ran the risk of contam, but I thought fuk it!)

the happy ending is however that I still have one jar & have innoculated a few more since,

why is it taking so long to get to the birthing stage?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKillerClown
From Outer Space

Loc: in a dark corner
Re: I Fucked up ....right? [Re: metalchimp]
    #1122290 - 12/08/02 02:47 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

That wasn't very bright...

Anyway, with the jars you haven't totally fucked up, you might need to raise the temperature. You want it somewhere between 75 - 82, some people might say a little higher, but that always worked perfect for me. Try to be a little more patient, and never open the jar if you can still see substrate.

What strain are you growing anyway?

Offlinemetalchimp
bionic monkey

Loc: Cambridge, England
Re: I Fucked up ....right? [Re: KillerClown]
    #1122294 - 12/08/02 02:50 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ecuador

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1122462 - 12/08/02 04:29 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

well your thinking was right. More evenly distributed mycelium, more even growth, BUT you run the extreme risk of contam doing it the way you did. Stuff like that is left to jars of rye that can be shaken up after they get colonized a bit to speed up colonizing time. Anyway the slow time could be the result of your temp, maybe your substrate is too wet, not alot of spores in the syringe
exposure to light, and too much fresh O2. Figure out whch problem is yours and correct it. Temp should be at 30 C or around 82-86 F. good luck.

Offlineyogenfruzen
Gogs
Loc: FunkyTown
    #1122471 - 12/08/02 04:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'm thinking that either your temp is too low or the cake is too dry but I'm no expert.

--------------------
If you drive a drink and a cop pulls you over and says "Your drunk" it's ok because you have no choice, your driving a drink!

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: I Fucked up ....right? [Re: yogenfruzen]
    #1122487 - 12/08/02 04:48 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

oh yeah, fogot about that, that is probably more probable than too wet. Are you using filter disks? Do you have an incubaor? If your cakes are left out in an environment where the rH is less than 50% or so your moisture will be sucked out of the cake. Try using an incubatore or closed box and use perlite to keep it humid in there.

OfflineSlighter
Stranger

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1123374 - 12/08/02 10:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: I Fucked up ....right? [Re: Slighter]
    #1127104 - 12/09/02 10:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

rH meter IS a humidity gauge(hygrometer) . You can find them at radioshack or at cigar shops. Do a search for hygrometers. The main thing you will run into is whether you should get an analog or digital hygrometer. They both have pros and cons. You whould read alot before you make a decision.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: I Fucked up ....right? [Re: Slighter]
    #1127107 - 12/09/02 10:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

rH meter IS a humidity gauge(hygrometer) . You can find them at radioshack or at cigar shops. Do a search for hygrometers. The main thing you will run into is whether you should get an analog or digital hygrometer. They both have pros and cons. You should read alot before you make a decision.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck