Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

Loc: Where do YOU live?
[Grow Log] First time grow
    #11221213 - 10/10/09 04:43 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Hey guys.  I thought it would be most benefical to me to have my first grow log on the shroomery so I could get some constructive criticism from yall.  Unfortunately I won't be able to post pics along with it because I'm, seriously, poor as shit :smirk:.  Any thoughts and/or concerns would greatly be appreciated.

Oct 5th.
  Made 5, 1 pint quart widemouth jars.  I know the norm is 1/2 pint but had a hard time finding 1/2 pint widemouth jars and I didn't really care that the main difference would just be time.  Used a combination of 1 part fresh ground BRF to 1 part water to 2 parts Hoffman verm.  Hoffman verm seems to be real good stuff, but it may be a little small on grain size.  I tried using dilluted French pressed coffee in the water for 2 jars just because I am a HUGE coffee fan so it made me feel like the jars are my babies :heart:.  Followed the PF tek by the book besides the coffee experiment and the jar size. 

Innoc'ed the jars with a MS syringe of PF Classic that night when the jars were cooled to 75oF.  I used an infrared thermometer for this (a great tool for anyone and I highly recommend them).  Each innoc site got 1/4cc of solution  then covered with a coffee filter.

Oct 10th.
  First signs of growth today.  Signs of growth in all 5 of the jars.  3:5 jars showed signs at 1 innoc site. 1:5 showed signs at 2 innoc sites. And 1:5 showed signs at all 4 of the innoc sites.  I'm not worried about this but supprisingly enough, the jar with the 4 signs of growth is the jar that was innoc'ed first.  All signs of growth are about the size of a thumb tack.  The coffee jars so far haven't shown any difference from the others.  (Don't hate if this step was unnecessary, I just did it for fun)

So far I think it's going very well.  At the moment I'm just trying to build up experience before I try anything radical.

P.S.- I'd gladly take extra spore prints that you don't need so that I can build up my arsenal :cool:!

--------------------
I am a fictional character.  There is no one behind this computer.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: [Grow Log] First time grow [Re: Boss Mosely]
    #11221237 - 10/10/09 04:47 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Only thing I would recommend is to take off the coffee filters and let them breath a little more. at this point there not needed the myc seem to be growing and the dry verm layer will hold back the contams

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

Re: [Grow Log] First time grow [Re: Shea25]
    #11221269 - 10/10/09 04:53 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Awsome, done.  Yeah I wasn't sure if the coffee filter would be overkill or not.  Like I said, the verm that I got was a little finer than what I'd think would be optimal so the ammount of open air exchange that was getting to the mixture would probably be restricted enough just with the verm barrier, let alone a layer of coffee filter.  :thumbup: thank you

--------------------

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11221284 - 10/10/09 04:54 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Finer verm is best for the dry layer barrier. I take some verm and put it into my coffee grinder and make up a bunch of fine dry verm just for my barriers I think it does a better job

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

#11221321 - 10/10/09 04:59 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Thank you for the info. I wish I could add ratings :frown:

--------------------

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

#11227411 - 10/11/09 05:42 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Minor Update 10/11/09
  4:5 jars now have multiple signs of growth on 2 or more inoculation sites.  Taking off the coffee filters seems to have speed up the process but it is hard to tell without having a controll group. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
    #11227484 - 10/11/09 05:55 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Good luck

--------------------
-

Offlinekilluminati420
Swimmin in Cyans soon
Male

Loc: PNW, Oregon Coast
    #11227530 - 10/11/09 06:01 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Im about to fruit my first casing too.....ill post it when i get to my friends computer....im on the internet with a LG phone and cant post...plus is broke my ankle and have to hop on one leg from place to place when i inoculate..that also means i cant walk to my friends house....not for 10 more days....it sucks

Offlinekilluminati420
Swimmin in Cyans soon
Male

#11227557 - 10/11/09 06:05 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Im about to fruit my first casing too.....ill post it when i get to my friends computer....im on the internet with a LG phone and cant post...plus is broke my ankle and have to hop on one leg from place to place when i inoculate..that also means i cant walk to my friends house....not for 10 more days....it sucks

Offlinekilluminati420
Swimmin in Cyans soon
Male

Re: [Grow Log] First time grow [Re: killuminati420]
    #11227593 - 10/11/09 06:11 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

i dont know why it posts twice....b-cuz my phone is slow so i click the button 2 times

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

#11227622 - 10/11/09 06:16 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

killuminati420 said:

Thanks for then encouragement guys.  And I feel you killuminati, years of rugby has left my ankles at a little more than bags of dust.

--------------------

Offlinekilluminati420
Swimmin in Cyans soon
Male

#11227632 - 10/11/09 06:17 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

i dont know why it posts twice....b-cuz my phone is slow so i click the button 2 times

Offlinekilluminati420
Swimmin in Cyans soon
Male

#11227647 - 10/11/09 06:21 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

#11227699 - 10/11/09 06:29 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Yah may want to hold off on the forum posting with that phone mate.

--------------------

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

#11247301 - 10/14/09 06:43 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Update 10/14/09

All jars are on there way but I have some bad news.. I have got my first trich contamination :sad:..  Contamination is about the size of a dime and is in the middle of the jar.  I'm kidna bummed because of course, it had to be in the jar that was the "flagship" of my grow.  The jar had such beautiful rhizo growth in it you'd almost think that it was slowly freezing over.  Anyone able to chime in on how the contam probably got there?  I'm guessing the sterilization process of the BRF rather than a failure in the contamination barrier.  I just want to know for my notes.  The jar has been quarantined from the rest of the jars in a room that I will never planning on working in, in a container i'll never been using for work.  Reasoning behind this is so I can better understand the contamination through first-hand experience.  I'd also like to note before there are any freak outs that I will note be opening the jar before I bake it in the oven for a while.

Other than that, the jars are doing better than I could hope for for my first try.

OH!  I also tried doing 4 (I like using seperation to keep cross-contamination at bay) LCs in 250mL  jars with a + or - %5 ratio of honey about 4 days ago.  These things are really interesting to look at haha.  What boggles me is that I have 1 kind of growth in 2 jars and another type in the other 2.  One of the growths is more of a gritty sand-like growth, and in the other jars there are white/yellow globule growths.  And no, I'm not going to ask you guys what this means :laugh:..

--------------------

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11247329 - 10/14/09 06:48 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

There are so many variables as to why a single jar got contamed.. but it happens to the best of us. 

Edited by Shea25 (10/14/09 06:49 PM)

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

#11247365 - 10/14/09 06:54 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
There are so many variables as to why a single jar got contamed.. but it happens to the best of us. 

Yeah, I kinda figured that but wanted to get a confirmation on it.

--------------------

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

#11254457 - 10/15/09 06:20 PM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Update 10/15/09

Not much to report growth wise.. Jars are still going and my trich jar is still dying a lonely death.

Got a present in the mail, cambo prints.  Supplier I'll leave annonymous unless they want to chime in.

I've been thinking a lot about what kind of fruiting chamber setup I want to use and I've came up with this...

BLUE-Cool mist humidifier
BROWN-Stand for the humidifier
BLACK-Container
GREEN-2L bottles (perferably something else with a valve)
PURPLE-Tubing
GREY / YELLOW-Light housing and light
RED-Stand for the cakes inside the FC
LIGHT BLUE-Water
ORANGE-Fish tank heater
BROWN / WHITE-Cakes

The physiology behind this is that I'll be using the cool mist for FAE for the FC.  I've heard that a cool mists can give off too much water vapor so the bottles before the FC will act as resevior for the vapor to collect.  The tubing will have a continuous + or - gradient (besides after the last bottle) so that there isn't any collecting of water inside the tubing (that is why I have elevated the humidifier).  I will have the tubing coming through the top of the FC on the cakes.  Exhaust gas exchange will happen at a lower level than the cakes so that I can achieve a greater ammount of CO2 exhaust and have a greater concentration of O2 at the level of the cakes.  I will then have a pool of water with a fish tank water heater to provide some heat since it's starting to get cold outside.  I'll then have a suspended light to provide proper lighting in a 12/12 manner without giving off too much heat.

Tell me what you guys think about this!

--------------------

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11254474 - 10/15/09 06:23 PM (8 years, 5 days ago)

I built one like this http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10998884/fpart/1/vc/1

Works great but so is a shotgun and there cheap to make http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/4668b8fe-7c51-44cd-ac3d-1cb71528184f.aspx

Shotguns work perfect for cakes I built the other one for doing other species but if your just doing cube cakes stick with a shotgun

Edited by Shea25 (10/15/09 06:25 PM)

OfflineBoss Mosely
...wut?

#11254537 - 10/15/09 06:34 PM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
I built one like this http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10998884/fpart/1/vc/1

Works great but so is a shotgun and there cheap to make http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/4668b8fe-7c51-44cd-ac3d-1cb71528184f.aspx

Shotguns work perfect for cakes I built the other one for doing other species but if your just doing cube cakes stick with a shotgun

I've been toying with the idea of using an aquarium pump for FAE but I have a few concerns:

-I've had a few fish tanks in the past and I've found out the hard way that you really have to invest in a good (expensive) one for reliability.  Most will give out or produced inadequate amounts of air for use after about 2 months of running time.

-I'm concerned that the pumps being at the bottom of the FC will be able to mix the humidified air with the air towards the top of the chamber because of little of air movement there is using about a 12in air stone.

-With the position of the air stone, I'm worried that the humidified air will exscape through the lower exhaust holes before they reach the cakes.

That's kind of why I've started leaning towards a humidifier instead of an aquarium pump.  Also, those aquarium supplies aren't cheap if you want reliable equipment so I'd think that the costs are about equal.

BTW Shea25, you've been a real champ with help so far.. I wish I could add ratings :sad:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation