Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
effective reading: how to?
    #11221086 - 10/10/09 04:19 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

I'm about to give one of the laws of attraction (The Secret)type books a second chance. 

I truly believe the core concept of the idea seems right.  If I devote as much time and energy into the present, as I do in the past or the future; I believe positive change/outlook is possible.  Not that I am in a horrible situation, it's just that I want change.  right now my life feels empty.

My question here is how does someone read with an open mind?  I don't want to discredit any information as I read.  I wish to read the whole "story" as the author intended to make their point, not how I interpret their point while at the same time holding all of my pre-conceived ideas in mind and using them to re-interpert each line as I read.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: effective reading: how to? [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11221478 - 10/10/09 05:34 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

what the thinker thinks, the prover proves

read some Robert Anton Wilson instead

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: effective reading: how to? [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #11221603 - 10/10/09 05:58 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

I was asking more of How to read with a blank stale, rather than what to read.

But, his quote in wikipedia university's sounds like he might be worth a read.
Quote:

"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment.

I'd like to read what he means by that, it seems impossible to fathom.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: effective reading: how to? [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11221629 - 10/10/09 06:02 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Read RAW's Prometheus Rising and Quantum Psychology.

He goes in depth on exactly what he means.  It's from Korzybski's General Semantics and another idea called E-Prime.  English without the "to be" verb.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
Re: effective reading: how to? [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #11223171 - 10/10/09 10:40 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

OP, it's about state control. And with reading with an open mind or from the author's frame of reference, it's about shifting your point of reference of 'authority' for making judgments.

So what I mean is, if you are using yourself as the point of reference of 'authority' for making judgments, you'll be judging what you read from your own point of view according to what you've already learned. This is also sometimes referred to as an 'internal frame of reference'.

But on the flip side, remember the last time you didn't know how to do something - like not knowing how to read with an open mind for example. :wink: When you don't know something, you naturally seek the information you need from another person or from outside of yourself in some way. Now imagine that you respect the person you saught the information from because they are THE authority on what you want to know. So you just take their word for it and try to do what they say without questioning it too much. This is the opposite to an internal frame of reference and is sometimes referred to as an 'external frame of reference'. 

So here I've presented an outline of an 'internal frame of reference' and an 'external frame of reference'. Now the way to utilise them is to notice your state of mind when you access each of those frames of references separately. The way you see things, the way you feel, the way things sound, and how you talk to yourself will most likely be different from each of those frames of reference. I would guess from the nature of your question that you probably spend more time in an internal state of mind, using your own frame of reference as an "authority" in order to make judgments about things and situations. So getting into a clean external state of mind might be initially more challenging for you. So to practice eliciting the external state of reference in yourself, you could remember a bunch of times in your life when you had no clue at all and needed to ask someone for their advice or ask them for their judgment or ask them how to do something. Some people find it easier to access an external state via a child-like state, it's up to you. Practice maintaining an external state for as long as you can, and practice maintaining an internal state for as long as you can, and practice flipping back and forth. (NB: you probably do this all the time, as most of us do, but the practice is for making the process a conscious one).

So what I'm getting at is, from an external state of mind absorb the information and use it for a while. Then only after getting a handle on it, then analyse and criticize it from an internal frame of reference. So to summarise.. Practice getting into an external frame of reference and read the book in that state of mind. Try some of the exercises from an external frame of reference. Then only after doing that, then analyse your experience with the book and the exercises from an internal frame of reference.

If you use these strategies, you'll find that as you go you'll probably flick between the two states. This is where state control comes in. If you get into an internal state of mind (judging from an internal frame of reference) while reading, then stop looking at the book realign with your goal to read the book from the author's frame of reference, get into an external state and then start reading again. Repeat as necessary. After doing this a few times, you'll maintain an external frame of reference for longer and longer each time. (NB: You might want to write yourself a note for when you finish the book and exercises to remind yourself to get back into an internal frame of reference when you're finished).

Hope this helps.
:peace:

--------------------

Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: effective reading: how to? [Re: Mufungo]
    #11229513 - 10/11/09 11:04 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Great info.  Thanks for the help

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being