Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMacattack2112
Stranger

Growing oyster on paper,cardboard etc.
    #11219886 - 10/10/09 09:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

im growing oyster for the first time. i plan on using the straw log technique. I see alot of people growing on paper cardboard etc. How to to sterilize or pasteurize the paper. And how to you get the right moisture content for the paper? And do you just add colonized grain and mix with the paper? Any input would be great.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMigraine
Expanding Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Alabama
Re: Growing oyster on paper,cardboard etc. [Re: Macattack2112]
    #11220889 - 10/10/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

RR has a great video on using straw.

Same process to use with cardboard.

I use brown shipping boxes with all stickers and tape removed - no print.

Tear into 4in x 4in squares.

Places cardboard in large pot of water on the stove an heat to 160 to 175f.  Don't go over 180f - use a thermometer and watch it closely.

Cook for 60 to 90 minutes.

Remove cardboard from pot an place it in an old pillow case.  Tie shut.

Throw case, with cardboard, in the washing machine and place on last spin cycle.

When spin dry cycle is complete, the cardboard will have the proper water content to be placed in bags along with your grain spawn.

I use 3 qts of rye grain spawn for a 12in packed cardboard log (8in in diameter).

You will get 3 to 4 very good flushes from it.  Less spawn will still work but it will take longer and produce less fruits.

Good luck.

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Growing oyster on paper,cardboard etc. [Re: Migraine]
    #11221799 - 10/10/09 04:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

you can use colonized grain or an lc or that as well. i like to use the lc best and you can inoculate a lot of substrate with the lc water. i out the straw into a large tub and thoroughly wet it with the lc water

then turn around and regrow the grain inoculum and reuse it too later.

houdinihar

OfflineMacattack2112
Stranger

Re: Growing oyster on paper,cardboard etc. [Re: houdinihar]
    #11330234 - 10/27/09 08:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice!

Offlinemycophallus
Stranger
Re: Growing oyster on paper,cardboard etc. [Re: Macattack2112]
    #11333716 - 10/27/09 06:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

One thing you can try is boiling the dry cardboard with organic flax meal for an hour covered in the same kind of pot you use to sterilize jars.  Make sure the water level is sufficient.  You'll figure it out after a few goes on what size to tear your cardboard to and what water level works best.

After an hour turn heat off and let cool to room temp.  To speed things up you can put an oven mit under it and throw it in your freezer or fridge.

After it's at room temp, peel the non-corrugated sheets off and throw the corrugated ones in whatever plastic tub thing you plan on using.

Throw a little spawn on it.  Visualize a checkerboard pattern and spread out bits of spawn like that only laying bits down for one color.

Strain out some of the flax from the water and fling it around on the cardboard too.

Peel off more and throw down another layer of cardboard with the flat side against the bottom layers corrugations or vice versa.

You can sit and wait and just keep transferring a bit of the bottom mycelium to the next layer and keep staking.
OR
you can just keep piling on layers from your spawn bag and cardboard.

If you layer things with overlapping pieces the mycelium will navigate up and through the whole thing.

The mycelium is FAST.  It will take over your cardboard faster than hippies on a nitrous tank... well relative to a lot of other mycelium in the fungi world and the flax is a big help.

I just keep the stuff at room temp covered by a blanket.  Temp range in my house is around 66-72.

I bought a bag from Mister Stamets and I've turned that 1 gallon into 3 or 4 gallons on various substrates in about a month.

Cardboard gets picked on a lot in this forum, but I like it.  It's easy as hell to find a lot of for free. And with the flax I think it's a great start for running mycelium.

As far as how much flax I don't really measure i just sprinkle maybe a half a cup in there.  It depends on how many pieces of cardboard and how big a pot you have.

This way has worked for me, and I almost have more mycelium than I can manage right now. Good luck.

OfflineMacattack2112
Stranger

Re: Growing oyster on paper,cardboard etc. [Re: mycophallus]
    #11376880 - 11/03/09 01:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i will give it a try. thanks for your advice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains