Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

How do I turn thought into action, for change?
    #11220779 - 10/10/09 03:13 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

our pasts are our pasts.  we can not change it, we can not change how others view us for what we have done. 

I've spent the last year spinning my wheels while putting myself in isolation.

I've spent hundreds of hours searching the net for ways out of this rut..  I've accumulated tons of audiobooks/ebooks/videos, probably close to 500 gigabytes of info.  all of which I haven't even read.

I will star reading or listening to one, then stop.  for some reason my anxiety is temporarly soothed by searching for a new book, but once I get it, I do nothing with it..  I almost feel that it is a lie I am telling myself.  By looking like I am collecting information to change, I might actually feel like I am trying... :shrug:

my question is: where is the tipping point of change? how can I stop thinking that if I had only done such and such differently, things would be better?

I think that I know what to do, but I am doing nothing.  If someone had a problem and needed help I would be more than willing to help, and I have over my lifetime.  I've also been told that my advice is great by friends in the past.  now I have no friends, but its because I need to find myself.

Im sorry if this is confusing.. I feel I have found a great community here at the Shroomery.  It's going to take some time to sort my thoughts.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous #1

Re: How do I turn thought into action, for change? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #11220808 - 10/10/09 03:19 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

to add:

I feel like a spring that is compressed to the max.  and I want to release the tension and bloom rather than shoot off randomly in a direction I am not aiming..

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #11221746 - 10/10/09 06:24 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
my question is: where is the tipping point of change? how can I stop thinking that if I had only done such and such differently, things would be better?

I think that I know what to do, but I am doing nothing. 

What do you want to do?  What is holding you back from doing that?  Fear of failure or hardship?  Inability to sacrifice things to reach your goals?

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Anonymous #1

Re: How do I turn thought into action, for change? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #11221795 - 10/10/09 06:33 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I am spinning my wheels because I do not know what I want to do.  I must be going about seeking what I wish to do in the wrong way.

as I think about it this second, what I think may be holding me back is probably because I have entrenched myself in this comfort zone over the last few years.

the fear of failure does not effect me as much as the fear of not being accepted.  But, not being accepted is what I know I should not care about.  I should accept myself, not what I think others opinions of me are.  ---- Easier said than done.

the last question could also be the sacrifice of my comfort zone.  but I am bored out of my mind with this comfort zone.

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11222943 - 10/10/09 09:49 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
I am spinning my wheels because I do not know what I want to do.  I must be going about seeking what I wish to do in the wrong way.

It took me a while to finally figure out what my calling was.  It sounds cliche but hindsight it's very obvious when I look at the areas of my interests and natural aptitude.  To some extent I think lack of belief in myself being able to follow through and achieve those goals held me back from even trying.  I finally reached a point where even trying and failing would be better than reaching old age and dying with regret over not even trying to go after the things I wanted.
Quote:

Anonymous said:
the fear of failure does not effect me as much as the fear of not being accepted.  But, not being accepted is what I know I should not care about.  I should accept myself, not what I think others opinions of me are.  ---- Easier said than done.

This is something you have to move past.  Acceptance of yourself and acceptance of the fact that everyone has their own baggage.  Everyone will judge you regardless.  Play by your own rules and do what makes you happy.  Actively trying to fit in or be accepted or liked only results in you falling in with the wrong crowd.  When you're true to yourself you will attract people with similar interests and values into your life without even trying.  It's better to have no friends/girlfriend than to be around the wrong ones and have to compromise your values.  Focus on improving your life in every way possible and the right people will want to be a part of it.
Quote:

Anonymous said:
as I think about it this second, what I think may be holding me back is probably because I have entrenched myself in this comfort zone over the last few years.

the last question could also be the sacrifice of my comfort zone.  but I am bored out of my mind with this comfort zone.

That's an easy pit to fall into.  It was only when I became totally disgusted with my current situation, my progress in life, and my direction that I decided I didn't care what the fuck happened.  I was chasing my dreams and fuck the easy life.  The easy life was boring anyway.  I also started to realize that the really successful people in life are the ones who went balls to the wall towards their goals and didn't let anything stand in their way.  By leaving the comfort zone and putting yourself in a position where failure is not an option, you have no choice but to succeed, one way or another.  When an easy, mediocre life is handed to you then there is no pressure to succeed.  Why do children raised in wealthy homes have the stereotype of being degenerates?  They were completely comfortable and happy with what they had, and never had to struggle to achieve anything.

If you want to motivate yourself to get out of your situation, look at it like this.  What are you doing and how are you living now?  How happy is it making you now?  If you continue on this course, where will you be in one year, two, five, ten..?  How disappointed will you be in yourself if you are in the same exact place in the coming years?

You will continue to be paralyzed until your discontent with your life and drive to change it becomes strong enough to overpower your loss of comfort, decision anxiety, and apprehension.

--------------------

Offlineusulpsychonaut
Satanist
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
Re: How do I turn thought into action, for change? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #11231521 - 10/12/09 07:27 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I've decided to seriously give up. Always expect total failure and forget ambition. I am considering the possibility that I am a natural born slacker, who has no ability to succeed in anything. The only problem is the tendency to fail to avoid dreams of doing something with my life. The universe dumps shit on me, so shit must be everything I need. I'm tired and weary of the sorrow and apathy, to weary to fight it. There is no energy left in me to resist total self disgust. I still my mind and feel waves of despair and hopelessness, this exhausts me and I lose the point. Most of my time is waisted playing evony, watching movies or listening to music. My spark of hope lies in the possibility that there might be a 'tipping point' in my method. Maybe from the depths of my soul there will pour forth some genuine purpose that could only be learned through accepting and surrendering to my own bleakness. Embrace the pain.

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
Re: How do I turn thought into action, for change? [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #11231584 - 10/12/09 08:20 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Have you thought about doing short courses in whatever you've got audiobooks on? Short courses are more engaging than books or MP3s and can be a good way to get a hands on taste of whatever it is you want to learn about.

--------------------

Anonymous #1

Re: How do I turn thought into action, for change? [Re: Mufungo]
    #11232185 - 10/12/09 12:15 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mufungo said:
Have you thought about doing short courses in whatever you've got audiobooks on? Short courses are more engaging than books or MP3s and can be a good way to get a hands on taste of whatever it is you want to learn about.

your suggestion sounds interesting.

short courses... how do you mean?

I have tons of audio & e-books.  do you mean turning them into individual studies somehow?

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How do I turn thought into action, for change? [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #11232478 - 10/12/09 01:13 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:
I've decided to seriously give up. Always expect total failure and forget ambition. I am considering the possibility that I am a natural born slacker, who has no ability to succeed in anything. The only problem is the tendency to fail to avoid dreams of doing something with my life. The universe dumps shit on me, so shit must be everything I need. I'm tired and weary of the sorrow and apathy, to weary to fight it. There is no energy left in me to resist total self disgust. I still my mind and feel waves of despair and hopelessness, this exhausts me and I lose the point. Most of my time is waisted playing evony, watching movies or listening to music. My spark of hope lies in the possibility that there might be a 'tipping point' in my method. Maybe from the depths of my soul there will pour forth some genuine purpose that could only be learned through accepting and surrendering to my own bleakness. Embrace the pain.

It sounds like you want to do something but lack any sort of drive or motivation to follow through on it.  It's a symptom of ADHD.  Consider seeing a psychiatrist.

Video game addiction in particular is a symptom of ADHD.  Your brain needs something that is high stimulation so when it comes to video games the person with ADHD cant get enough.

--------------------

Offlinesunflower
We're here....
Female User Gallery

#11233532 - 10/12/09 04:24 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Do one thing.  Make up your mind just to do one thing that will advance you today and do it...  Don't over think it, just do it.  Exercise, learn 10 words in another language, write a letter to someone you love, like, admire.  Just DO something that advances your life in the way you would like it to go.  The doing is what changes you, not the thinking about doing.  Begin....

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
    #11235975 - 10/12/09 11:02 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Make yourself accountable to someone else, you don't seem able to hold yourself accountable to act. Paying for and taking a course is a good idea. Commit to something you can't just walk away from.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #11235979 - 10/12/09 11:03 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
your suggestion sounds interesting.

short courses... how do you mean?

I have tons of audio & e-books.  do you mean turning them into individual studies somehow?

What are the audio and e-books that interest you about?

What I'm talking about is, there are people out there that take topics and turn them into 1, 2, 3, 7 day courses, and sometimes longer. They might be held at a hotel function room, a university hall, out in the wilderness, at a person's home, or anywhere really. And they might involve anything from a handful of students to a whole room full. The price can vary drastically depending on the topic and how long the course is and what's involved (like possible materials and meals), they could be $20 for an evening course up to several thousands for bigger courses. Courses get run on anything - like philosophy, creative expression, influence, hypnosis, self help, dance, yoga, meditation, computers, shamanism, wood work, glass blowing, and on and on and on... If there's a topic that interests you, my bet is that there'll also be someone out there holding a course on it.

--------------------

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

#11241217 - 10/13/09 08:08 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I was searching for videos on calculus and noticed this one was linked to a video I watched by this guy. I like his attitude and he explains it like it's a math problem which cracks me up. It's something that I think would take the pressure off of acting in the moment.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being