Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
Re-pasteurization
    #11220196 - 10/10/09 10:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have an old mycobag (about 1 1/2 yrs old) that amazingly has retained most of it's moisture and has not grown any visible contams. I have been running a little short on hpoo/straw and I thought maybe I could crack this bag open, re-hydrate, re-seal, then re-pasteurize. Any forseen drawbacks to this?

I was thinking of adding some pH balancer, and maybe some extra lime/gypsum if necessary.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Re-pasteurization [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #11220218 - 10/10/09 10:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

A year and a half old... i don't know, i'd be pretty skeptical about it.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Re: Re-pasteurization [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11220244 - 10/10/09 11:03 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

About contams, nute content? what?

Sorry, just trying to pinpoint whether I can revive it or not.

I dont really see the difference b/w this and some year old hpoo that I shovel off of the ground.

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#11220291 - 10/10/09 11:13 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MoeRon said:
I have an old mycobag (about 1 1/2 yrs old) that amazingly has retained most of it's moisture and has not grown any visible contams. I have been running a little short on hpoo/straw and I thought maybe I could crack this bag open, re-hydrate, re-seal, then re-pasteurize. Any forseen drawbacks to this?

I was thinking of adding some pH balancer, and maybe some extra lime/gypsum if necessary.

This time of year they sell straw on street corners, hardware stores, garden centers...

5 dollars for a full bale
6 dollars for a half bale (don't ask me why)
5 dollars for a mini bale

If you use that, I don't think I'd lime it. Who limes poo?

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Re: Re-pasteurization [Re: anonjon]
    #11220326 - 10/10/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

its not so much the straw im interested in as the hpoo, as I am too lazy to go get any more.

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11220336 - 10/10/09 11:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It's been sealed up for a year and a half with stale air and moisture. Seems like it would be a contam factory. If it looks and smells alright though, idk. You have it sitting in front of you though, its your call.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

#11220377 - 10/10/09 11:30 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dancefloordale said:
It's been sealed up for a year and a half with stale air and moisture. Seems like it would be a contam factory. If it looks and smells alright though, idk. You have it sitting in front of you though, its your call.

Ill probably give it a shot in its own monotub, I've got more LC than I know what to do with.

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
    #11220390 - 10/10/09 11:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

if it wqas STERILE and it was sitting for a yeat and you had the top flap tucked under it (as we all normally do during colonization) and it has retained its moisture and not contaminated.. then yes its fine to open it and add stuff and re STERILIZE it not PASTEURIZE. Mycobags are STERILIZED in a PC (like 90 min at 15 pounds)

but the bag is FINE to use if there are no contams. make sure it does not smell sour or like fermented wine..

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Re: Re-pasteurization [Re: Slimz]
    #11220430 - 10/10/09 11:40 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Slimz said:
if it wqas STERILE and it was sitting for a yeat and you had the top flap tucked under it (as we all normally do during colonization) and it has retained its moisture and not contaminated.. then yes its fine to open it and add stuff and re STERILIZE it not PASTEURIZE. Mycobags are STERILIZED in a PC (like 90 min at 15 pounds)

but the bag is FINE to use if there are no contams. make sure it does not smell sour or like fermented wine..

I was under the impression that sterilizing a substrate would kill all of the beneficial organic stuff. If I was to sterilize, I'd be better off just getting a new sub?

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#11222081 - 10/10/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Depends how you're going to use it. If it's going to colonize in a bag, then being sterile would be fine. If you're going to spawn something to it in the open, u better pasteurize.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates