Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleechoesSG
Dancing Echoes
Male

Re: Stop bitching, you're watching history unfold [Re: mozhual]
    #11230569 - 10/11/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mozhual said:
I'd like to know how echoesSG knows he knew... not that it really has any relevance, he clearly states that he accepted it only on behalf of the country/politicians who came before him.

to clear things up. what i meant was he knew of the possibility. he knew he was nominated... it was all over the news when he was...why didn't he do something then?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCapHat
Stranger

Re: Stop bitching, you're watching history unfold [Re: echoesSG]
    #11230584 - 10/11/09 11:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hes a puppet, not his choice.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Stop bitching, you're watching history unfold [Re: CapHat]
    #11233125 - 10/12/09 01:12 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Rush Limbaugh was nominated, too.  But this is a nomination they probably missed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091011/us_time/08599192955300

Quote:

As long as a nukeless world remains wishful thinking and pastoral rhetoric, we'll be all right. But if the Nobel committee truly cares about peace, they will think a little harder about actually trying to make it a reality. Open a history book and you'll see what the modern world looks like without nuclear weapons. It is horrible beyond description.

During the 31 years leading up to the first atomic bomb, the world without nuclear weapons engaged in two global wars resulting in the deaths of an estimated 78 million to 95 million people, uniformed and civilian. The world wars were the hideous expression of what happens when the human tendency toward conflict hooks up with the violent possibilities of the industrial age. The version of this story we are most familiar with today is the Nazi death machinery, and so we are often tempted to think that if Hitler had not happened, we would never have encountered assembly line murder. (See TIME's photo-essay "Fun with Photoshop: Obama's Other Awards")

The truth is that industrial killing was practiced by many nations in the old world without nuclear weapons. Soldiers were gassed and machine-gunned by the hundreds of thousands in the trenches of World War I, when Hitler was just another corporal in the Kaiser's army. By World War II, countries on both sides of the war used airplanes and artillery to rain death on battlefields as well as cities, until the number killed around the world was so huge the best estimates of the total number lost diverge by some 16 million souls. The dead numbered 62 million, or 78 million - somewhere in there.

So, when last we saw a world without nuclear weapons, human beings were killing each other with such feverish efficiency that they couldn't keep track of the victims to the nearest 15 million. Over three decades of industrialized war, the planet had averaged around three million dead per year. Why did that stop happening?

60 years is a pretty good period of time to track that.  Of course, as more and more lunatics get the bomb, this may not be so clear going forward.  Since the seventies I thought the cold war standoff would be just that, a standoff.  But even then I also feared the inexorable expansion of the technologies to more and nuttier and meaner thugs.  The Present of the US seems to be rather running away from any meaningful grappling with the issue, which will just put it off for another 3 1/2 years until we get an adult back in office.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #11233581 - 10/12/09 02:33 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CapHat said:
You dont understand Prisoner? That right Obama a puppet for a corporate war machine does not deserve a peace prize. Sense hes a president of a foreign corporation which I am not a member of I dont consider him my president. If calling it a president I am my own. If you want to give a peace prize to some one to make them feel good , give it to the kids who have to stay cool when everything around then that thy love is blown up and destroyed. Obama you actually believe he the president cuz you voted for him and hes a good guy? Try to imagine what kind of people Obamas hooked up with. All the shit your against about government, Obama represents. Obama doesnt represent America thats impossible. Obama represents an evil artificial corporation (slave Law, citizen Law, commercial Law, that fake ass Law that you hate for taking people away with out a victim) No matter how much the press distifle decent and I represent the natural god given law so I wont rase a beer to Obama. Whats this our president?

Invisiblemozhual
Amateur Omnologist
 User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #11234057 - 10/12/09 03:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CapHat said:
Hes a puppet, not his choice.

Agreed, for the most part.

--------------------
"Nature is like a sculptor constantly improving upon her work, but to do so she chisels away at living flesh." H.K. Bloom

"Is God willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is not omnipotent...
Is he able but not willing? Then he is malevolent...
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him god." Epicurus c. 300 BCE

"When I brought up the fact that 'No drug is good or bad, they're all just A drug, what someone does with them determines the postive or negative outcome. Look at medicine, those are drugs' Reponse was that 'well medicine solves problems' well so does LSD." -Learningtofly

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order