Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNsomnia
Stranger

Opinions on my first spawnbag grow *DELETED*
    #11218532 - 10/09/09 11:48 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Nsomnia

Reason for deletion: Not interested anymore. Way bigger than I thought. Gonna use two bags at a time easy. Haha.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: Opinions on my first spawnbag grow [Re: Nsomnia]
    #11218686 - 10/10/09 12:30 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

so your going to make 12 pints of lc umm thats a whole lot. theres no set amount that you have to put in them, i usually put 3-4 pounds in a bag. use cloths pins. the steam and moisture from the pc will cause the tape to lose its stickness. monotubs would be the way to go.

and on a side note, when you knock up your bags jus use like 3-5 ml of lc, because you could mess up the mc if you use too much, plus a lil goes a long way.

OfflineNsomnia
Stranger

Re: Opinions on my first spawnbag grow [Re: anakin3197]
    #11218910 - 10/10/09 01:48 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tip. Using 3-5ml versus like 10-15ml (more conservativly) wont slow down colonization a whole bunch or what. I want this to finish fast as possible so I can get onto my next ideas to try out.

I will be putting red RTV on 10 points all over the bags to inject.

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#11218991 - 10/10/09 02:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

not noticeably. i dont even use that. i jus rub down wherever i decide to inject at with alochol, stick the needle in, spray, take the tissue with the alochol on it, pull the needle out, covering the hole with the tissue, and then put a strip of transpore tape over the hole. never had a contam. but you can do it however you want to.

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11219078 - 10/10/09 03:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ive been using light malt extract in 2 grams per 100ml (2%) concentrations with 1ml per 100ml dextrose (karo 1%) and the mixture comes out very yellow. Should I use 1% of each in solution to make it easier to see the myc growing. I expect to be looking at about 2 weeks LC colonization time from MS before I can inoculate my bags correct.

Drop the malt. There are plenty of water + Karo teks.

Quote:

Any trouble using packing tape or comparable tape to seal the bags before PCing. Its gonna take ages to PC 100 bags haha. I have heard 3-4 hours per bag is perferred, is this correct. I will not be simmering the spawn just soaking drying and loading.

Lastly is the monotubs gonna be the easiest or should I build a small  6 foot by 6 foot greenhouse out of 2x4s and plastic sheeting and fruit them in trays with a humidifier and hepa air filter running.

This is something beyond the reasonable capacity for anyone to answer without doing some sort of time study. Quite frankly, we know that you want to do a lot, but you have not outlined a process.

I would strongly suggest that you get yourself informed with a gantt chart if you are not already familiar with such.

You need to time-plot the approximate growth process to best work your efficiency and work schedule. To run 100 bags, you can not use the same methodology as someone running 1. Time, my friend, is not on your side. That is, unless you have the facilities to cook 100 bags all at the same time.

Some important things you will have to factor: PC cycle time (load, warmup, cook time, cooloff, unload), bag cooldown period, inoc time, etc.

The big bottle neck is going to be PC time and bulk pasteurization time. Hopefully you have the facilities to do both concurrently.

To work the most efficient process, you need to figure out how many cooking loads you can do in a work shift, and use the non-productive time (ie. cook and cooldown) to begin inoc, bulk prep, etc. At first you will be able to do the steps as each load comes out (or out of cooldown rather), but at some point you will be forced to 'batch' multiple PC loads through a single step (such as inoculating 3-4 PC loads of bags at once shot). Also, this will help your front end of your process from running over your back-end. It is feasable that you will be able to PC sub faster than you can spawn it to bulk, depending on the process length.

As for greenhouse vs. monotubs: From the above calculations, you will need to figure out how many max 'up' bags you will have. I run about 6 qts of spawn per tub, but that will vary largely based on tub size. I honestly can't say that I would be able to run many more than 10 tubs and still maintain a life that resembles normalcy.

If you were going to do a 'greenhouse', I would personally make a bunch of martha's, even if only for cross contamination prevention (I wouldn't want one to go and infect ALL the rest of my stuff).

If you have not considered agar work, I would strongly suggest that you start that as a good investment. By doing isolates you will be much more likely to get a faster growing and more prolific fruiting than if you make your LC from MS.

Last and not least, if this is your first grow I strongly suggest you start small. Sure, I thought I could run 8 tubs before I knew how much work there was involved. Keep in mind, small problems in bulk grows tend to turn into big disasters.

--------------------
semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

Sclerotia FAQ... If ya ain't got any stones, grow some.

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Ghetto Tek: Auto FAE & Light

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: Opinions on my first spawnbag grow [Re: fundamentalchair]
    #11221836 - 10/10/09 04:39 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i dont think he was thinking about all that, but glad u pointed it out

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11221981 - 10/10/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

i dont think he was thinking about all that, but glad u pointed it out

Of course, that's why I posted it.

By my quick estimation, in order to do 100 bags concurrently (not staggered too much, making them all pop at about the same time) you would need to be able to PC 10 bags at a time and have at least 1 55 gallon drum (plastic, preferably; 3-5 suggested), it would take somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40 hours of PCing, you'd be preping grain the entire time that you're cooking. You could feasibly get all 100 bags nocked up on the third day (assuming you could do 2 16 hr shifts back to back, day 1 and 2) and you would have to start measuring out bulk into the drums shortly thereafter. You would be working with 150 gallons of spawn, and would need 300-600 gallons of bulk. It would be advantageous to make some sort of pasturization unit that would be submersable into a drum, allowing you to do 2-3 drums at a time (6-12 drums worth of bulk).

Using monotubs, you would need 75-100, and would be stuffing the holes with polyfill for somewhere around the ballpark of 14 hours. You would be mixing spawn with bulk for around 40 hours. I don't even want to know how many dehydrators it would take to dry all that.

That process would easily take up a 600 sq ft building, and would need some SERIOUS shelving, preferably on some sort of rolling rail, to allow them to take up less of a footprint (no isles, just pull out a shelf to get to it; kinda like those big roller rack things behind the desks of some library's).

This operation would most likely exceed $10,000 in start up capital.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but for someone who's never ran any bulk this is a serious endeavor. I wouldn't attempt it without at least a 4 man team.

--------------------

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

OfflineNsomnia
Stranger

Re: Opinions on my first spawnbag grow [Re: fundamentalchair]
    #11237071 - 10/13/09 12:06 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Im definitly gonna make a much better plan and keep this thread updated the bags arrive tomorrow.

I have 3 roommates who would love to help and 2 good friends who are growing as well.

I dont have to worry about drying because it all gets composted except a few oz's for personal use.

The fun part is going to be coming up with a realistic wet weight goal and see how close i can get.

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange

#11237864 - 10/13/09 05:40 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Nsomnia said:
600 quarts im assuming 1 oz per quart.

What does that mean?

OfflineAimemailadress
Insight Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the Lions
Re: Opinions on my first spawnbag grow [Re: tall dwarf]
    #11238021 - 10/13/09 06:56 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Dude no offence, but seriously what were you thinking with a hundred spawn bags? i mean even ten will be enough to get the little piggies excited, or is it more for brag rights?

OfflineNsomnia
Stranger

Re: Opinions on my first spawnbag grow [Re: Aimemailadress]
    #11240109 - 10/13/09 03:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

They are so cheap and i love challenges. Im going to look up spawnbag grows maybe ten would be more work vs reward fun.

OfflineSN122A
Tweaker

Loc: Flag
    #11240402 - 10/13/09 03:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Would it not be more productive to do like 1/2 dozen batches and use a different strain/isolate LC for each? 

This way you could easily establish what works best given your conditions and substrates.

If you consider this then you could get a REALLY well fruiting strain and still have like dozens of bags of your new ‘premium’ strain.  It might very well be possible to get similar/greater overall yields in total as you would have less bags but much more per bag ie 5g*60 vs 3g*100.
Also once you have that strain you can used it for max effect on the next ‘100’ bags

Just curious but what you going to go with say a ‘bath’/car boot of mushrooms?  lol

OfflineNsomnia
Stranger

Re: Opinions on my first spawnbag grow [Re: SN122A]
    #11244512 - 10/14/09 08:00 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SN122A said:
Would it not be more productive to do like 1/2 dozen batches and use a different strain/isolate LC for each? 

That is a really good idea im stillin the experimental phase only my fourth bulk grow.

I have homemade b+ spores, recent amazonian and GT spores from sporeworks so I will start with 5 bags of each.

HOWEVER, All of my liquid cultures from my homemade b+ syringe or that I inoculated with agar wedges have contaminated. I have a fairly dirty house but they keep contaminating. My jars I knocked up however have brilliant white myc.

I used anywhere from 1-3 grams of light malt extract and 0.5-1 gram of karo.

When I make my new LC's from amazonian and GT spores today I will be doing some with 1 gram LME. Some with 4 grams karo. Some with 1g LME and 1g karo. I use red RTV as an injection port and tightly stuffed polyfill for GE and pressure cook for 25. Any tips?

OfflineNsomnia
Stranger

#11250822 - 10/15/09 02:51 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Got my lcs pcing atm. Three with 1.5 percent each karo and dry malt extract. The last one is three percent karo and .5 percent dme. Silicon injection holes and polyfill breather.

Noccing up with fresh puerto, ecuador, and amazonian as well as my b+. Gonna do one bag of each if they don't contaminate goddamn. Coffee filter dust covers will be added too

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11251109 - 10/15/09 05:08 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I sure hope you have some major help yo. I just reciently did 40 jars up with g2g, able to PC 7 at a time, and I had to put in nearly 30 hours just to get that feat accomplished.

--------------------

My Trade list.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags